Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 6:54:10 PM EDT
I have been trying to find out if there is much significance to Muslim men who still practice waring a beard these days. Form what I gathered while it can be interpreted that the Quran does state that each man should grow their beard to fist's length, if they don't it is a calling to others that they are a hermaphrodite ( I can't make this stuff up). However I was looking to see if the beard has taken on any type of new significance that is more clear cut, i.e. related to any type of  jihad rituals. I am asking this because of an incident that took place recently that has aroused some suspicion in my area that I can not discuss at this time.

On another note, I  was raised very close to one of the largest Amish populations in the US, I have many friends and past coworkers who are  Amish. Just incase you ever wondered, Amish men grow beards when they get married, it's their version of a wedding ring. The idea behind this is that a ring can be taken on and off to facilitate infidelity while a beard cannot. Now why they grow the beard without the mustache ? No one can remember, so they just keep doing it because that's the way it's always been.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
About the amish, the women don't grow facial hair... Wait, no.  I wont do this to your thread.  One of mine mabe.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
A beard is not very important in my day to day life.

I shave when I need to

What significance can be optained by growing a beard in all honesty.

Why would anyone take a beard to mean so much?

I'm ignorant but then again i'm an infidel

A beard to me is still just a beard

And I have the right to air my feelings and my views

Taffy the beardless
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
In Islam, having a beard isn't ordained by the Quran, it is implied in the Hadiths (writings on the example set by Muhommad) that one should wear a beard.

Every muslim is encouraged to wear a beard because that is the example Muhammad set. It has nothing to do with Jihad.

People who follow the tradition of the Hadiths wear beards; those who don't, don't have beards.

I guess one can try to deduce from this that some of the more religious folk might sport a beard then.... but, that isn't a general rule. Some people just like having a beard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
In Afganistan, for instance, it indicates that the wearer is married.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In Islam, having a beard isn't ordained by the Quran, it is implied in the Hadiths (writing on the example set by Muhommad) that one should wear a beard.

Every muslim is encouraged to wear a beard because that is the example Muhammad set. It has nothing to do with Jihad.

People who follow the tradition of the Hadiths wear beards; those who don't, don't have beards.

I guess one can try to deduce from this that some of the more religious folk might sport a beard then.... but, that isn't a general rule. Some people just like having a beard.

That is pretty much what I have been finding on the net, I'm in no way trying to say that beards make a jihadest. I was just wondering  if there has recently been any type of trends when it comes to the beards and extremist Muslims . I mean I can wear a red shirt here in my little Ohio town and never get a second look but do that in the wrong section of LA and ..... Just trying to gather as much info as I can to understand an issue I have to deal with. I posted here because my google searches were clouded by a lot of info on info about resent workers rights claims about beards.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Islam, having a beard isn't ordained by the Quran, it is implied in the Hadiths (writing on the example set by Muhommad) that one should wear a beard.

That is pretty much what I have been finding on the net, I'm in no way trying to say that beards make a jihadest. I was just wondering  if there has recently been any type of trends when it comes to the beards and extremist Muslims . I mean I can wear a red shirt here in my little Ohio town and never get a second look but do that in the wrong section of LA and ..... Just trying to gather as much info as I can to understand an issue I have to deal with. I posted here because my google searches were clouded by a lot of info on info about resent workers rights claims about beards.

I wouldn't worry about the beard thing too much.

If someone was a terrorist, the first thing Al Queda tells them to do is to shave their beard and ditch their traditional muslim garb and blend in with the Infidels. I would be more worried if they didn't have the beard and were acting suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I know when I served with some Military men of Saudia Arabia and Kuwait, they had serious probelms with shaving their beards, good seal on a gas mask or not, they wear not going to do it.

I didn't understand what the 'why' was, I was younger and all I remember saying is, thaty if they fall due to chemical attack and their mask didn't seal well enough, Iw as going to take their ammo.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Somewhere I remember reading that in the culture of the middle east, a man's trustworthiness is determined by the length of his beard.

I have no idea if that is true, but I think it was an explanation on the "relaxed grooming standards" of our SF operators in Afganistan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
where else are they gonna keep their fleas?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#12]
<Comment removed by Hokie.  I didn't realize I was in the Religion Forum.  I was being impolite.  Accurate, but impolite.>
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I was going to make a joke but I don't want to get banned.

It was something about beards and tickling my balls...I don't remember.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Muslims guys want to be cool. Mohommad had a beard, he was cool. So to be a cool Muslim man, you have to have a beard. In other words, it's tradition.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
***Deleted<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I know that the Taliban in Afghanistan enforced the beard requirement, beating the crap out of men with no beards or short beards . Presently in Iraq, "holy men" are assassinating barbers who give shaves.

As for the Amish moustache thing, I have read that at the time the Amish got started (18th c., IIRC) moustaches were part of some military uniforms. The Amish are pacifist, and the beard with no 'stache is a symbo of that, as is the absence of buttons on their clothing. (Ostentatious buttons being standard military accouterments back in the day.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
***Deleted<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As for the Amish moustache thing, I have read that at the time the Amish got started (18th c., IIRC) moustaches were part of some military uniforms. The Amish are pacifist, and the beard with no 'stache is a symbo of that,

Don't know abou that one, I've never heard it before, I'll ask around and see  wha they say

as is the absence of buttons on their clothing. (Ostentatious buttons being standard military accouterments back in the day.)

Only the women can't have buttons, for men  it's OK just no zippers, ever wear Amish fold down pants? I have, they suck as you have to hold them up with both hands when you have to take a leak, PITA I tell ya
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top