Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 10:42:05 PM EDT
..My religion says he is the only god. So are all the people worshiping others gods in their own religions crazy? There are so many other religons and gods, why wouldnt he just make sure everyone worshipped him? make it so theres only 1?

Why would he let anything bad happen to his people?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There's nothing there to trouble you. Back in the "bad old days" there were false gods and unbelievers, too. They will fall by the wayside as the ones in the past.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Because Hell needs people too
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But in the whole population of the earth less than 50% of the people are christian or cathiloc
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The rest chose to believe in a false god . They don't have to it is choice.God gave us choice it is up to us how we use it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you I was writing the dogma for a Churc, the first thing I would do is write that if you don't believe the correct thing you're gonna burn in hell, then I'd attribute that straight to God.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
More than one religion that says "if you don't believe, you go to hell"+ people not belonging to more than one religion + suzie going out with you when hell freezes over + no date with suzie = Hell is exothermic.

Anyway....did you ever think that they ARE all worshiping the same god, just using different names for him/her/it and worshiping that god in different manners?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
More than one religion that says "if you don't believe, you go to hell"+ people not belonging to more than one religion + suzie going out with you when hell freezes over + no date with suzie = Hell is exothermic.

Anyway....did you ever think that they ARE all worshiping the same god, just using different names for him/her/it and worshiping that god in different manners?

There are some who think that, yes.  But there are too many details, for instance, between my faith, LDS, Jehovah's Witness, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. that are mutually exclusive.  Why would the God of the universe feel the need to 'reveal himself' as different gods to different peoples?  Because of cultural differences?  Hardly.  There are Christians in the Middle East as well as Asia.  

There is one God, and I beleieve the others are false.

How narrow minded of me.

Edited to fix my highlighting
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some who think that, yes.  But there are too many details, for instance, between my faith, LDS, Jehovah's Witness, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. that are mutually exclusive.  Why would the God of the universe feel the need to 'reveal himself' as different gods to different peoples?  Because of cultural differences?  Hardly.  There are Christians in the Middle East as well as Asia.  

How narrow minded of me.

I'm just throwing out another possible answer.  No one alive can actually say for certain which reason (or reasons) are right or wrong.  You are more than welcome to believe what you want.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
God gives us the ability to make our own decisions.  God does not micromanage our lives.  We are created with the ability to choose Truth or lies, Good or evil, Love or hate.  

Unfortunately, other religions (religion: a system made by man in effort to be close to God) have chosen to base their beliefs on half-truths and/or lies.  It is logically impossible that all religions can be equally valid given that they all conflict in their core beliefs.

Consider yourself fortunate to be a person who has been exposed so strongly to the Truth found in Jesus.

I strongly recommend you take a look at this book:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1564762440/ref=sib_rdr_dp/104-6341878-0810311?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why would the God of the universe feel the need to 'reveal himself' as different gods to different peoples?  Because of cultural differences?

Sure. Why not?

Why should revealed truth not be interpreted according to the unique experiences of a given people? Nomadic desert tribes are bound to see things a heck of a lot differently than a people living in an equatorial rain forest. When presented with the same information, they're going to interpret it in a way with which they can identify. If you look with more than a casual eye, you'll see that all mythological systems (including Judeo-Christianity) have the same basic ideas and stories. They all have the same archetypes and elemental ideas. They all share the same symbols.

We still are expressing revealed truth today and in a way with which we can identify. There really is nothing new under the sun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But in the whole population of the earth less than 50% of the people are christian or cathiloc

As a Catholic I consider myself a Christian.  In fact we believe Jesus began the Catholic Church and Peter was our first Pope.

God gave us free will to follow his laws and examples or not.  Because a great many of us do not follow these rules and examples bad things happen.  As for natural disasters - I can't answer that.  There isn't an answer for everything, except keep the faith.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As for natural disasters - I can't answer that.  There isn't an answer for everything, except keep the faith.

Patty

What about population control? To remind us all to be thankful for what we have. To have us learn to help other and learn to care about others in need.  As for the hurricane I think it could be a lesson for the future. Next time we will be prepared.

Of course no one wants anything bad to happen. But how could you be thankful for the things you have and good things that happen if noting ever bad happend? You wouldnt know how right?

Quoted:

I'd agree with that. Each culture has thier own language and their own way of doing things. Maybe we all worship the same god, but in different ways and see him in a different way
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

How narrow minded of me.

Re: "But there are too many details, for instance, between my faith, LDS, Jehovah's Witness, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. that are mutually exclusive."

That is largely due to dogma espoused by those religions...though you made an error by including Buddhism.

Both Judaism and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive in that, as opposed to the others you referenced both believe that all who believe and practice a virtuous life have a place in "the world to come" (Whatever that may mean).

Exclusivity tends to be rendered in other words as it's either this way of the highway...and a truly unfortunate and narrow-minded view indeed.

Edited to add: textual references available upon request.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How narrow minded of me.

Re: "But there are too many details, for instance, between my faith, LDS, Jehovah's Witness, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc. that are mutually exclusive."

That is largely due to dogma espoused by those religions...though you made an error by including Buddhism.

Both Judaism and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive in that, as opposed to the others you referenced both believe that all who believe and practice a virtuous life have a place in "the world to come" (Whatever that may mean).

Exclusivity tends to be rendered in other words as it's either this way of the highway...and a truly unfortunate and narrow-minded view indeed.

OK.  Let me re-phrase.  MY beliefs (Christianity) do not allow for any other 'path'.  If you ask for directions to my house, and I said 'just get on a road, they all end up here', would that seem very logical?

Besides, who decides the definition of 'virtuous'?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How narrow minded of me.

OK.  Let me re-phrase.  MY beliefs (Christianity) do not allow for any other 'path'.  If you ask for directions to my house, and I said 'just get on a road, they all end up here', would that seem very logical?

______________________________________-

Of all that has been commented upon before with varying beliefs of the right-way, or the wrong-way...how can one have even been sent forth into the world without their parents having attempted to teach what is right and what is wrong?  Did they teach you not to steal?  Did they teach you not to harm others?  Did they teach you not to be hurtful, but to be kind?

I'm probably stretching in my assumption that the answers to the above were yes, they tried.

Did you then and do you now not lead a life incorporating these virtues?

If your answer is yes, you have tried (we all fail from time to time), then...yes.  By the norms of most societies you have done your best to lead a virtuous life.

Harm none others.  That is the essence of the Bible;  the rest is commentary.

Note: sources available upon request.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
..My religion says he is the only god. So are all the people worshiping others gods in their own religions crazy? There are so many other religons and gods, why wouldnt he just make sure everyone worshipped him?

The Bible goes into great detail about the motives for idols. Mix man's free will with his determination to have a "god" that will give him what he wants with no strings attached, and you have instant idolatry.

make it so theres only 1?

He DID make it so that there is One True God. But that doesn't stop man from being stupid.

Read the Bible more. God lets bad things happen to good people for many reasons.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You will find out what God really meant,  sooner or later.    When you die.

But this implies that you can not know now. Not only can you know, but you do know on some level of your conscious or unconscious.

One of my favorite axioms is this:

Learning is finding out what you already know.
Doing is demonstrating that you know it.
Teaching is showing others that they know just as well as you.

You are all learners, doers, teachers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..My religion says he is the only god. So are all the people worshiping others gods in their own religions crazy? There are so many other religons and gods, why wouldnt he just make sure everyone worshipped him?

The Bible goes into great detail about the motives for idols. Mix man's free will with his determination to have a "god" that will give him what he wants with no strings attached, and you have instant idolatry.

make it so theres only 1?

He DID make it so that there is One True God. But that doesn't stop man from being stupid.

Read the Bible more. God lets bad things happen to good people for many reasons.

Read the Bible more. God lets bad things happen to good people for many reasons

Yeah, and the story of a righteous Job indicates...that sometimes bad things happen to good people?  

The Bible is a guide...holding it as a weapon for those who are in dire straits is a sin.

Note:  Sources available upon request.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But this implies that you can not know now.

The word "now" is tricky as it relates to God.

If by "now" you mean that we will know the "why" of something as it is happening all the time, that is not true. Often we do not.

If you mean that at some point in our earthly existence we will see the wisdom of God's ways, that is indeed true to a large extent.

Still, there are some things that will never make sense to us. God is infinite and we are not, thus full aprehension of His ways and methods will always elude us. There are some things God does not explain, nor is He obligated to do so.

Sovereignty is sovereignty. He answers to no one, and owes no one anything.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My view of the path:   There is one God.  I'm sure of that.

Beyond that,  I have to trust the words of people who have not proven worthy of trust.

No,  I follow God alone,  and I do it by observing a few simple rules:

Do no harm to those who would do no harm to you.

Accept people as they are.

Forgive and forget whenever possible.  But don't be fooled by those who fake repentance.

Do not be judgemental.   Even those who may be on a path that conflicts with your moral
upbringing's teachings may be on that path because it's the best one available to them.
But this does not excuse them from responsibility for their own actions.

Give love freely, and receive it freely as well.

Help those who need it.

Live simply.  
Exercise restraint.
Live a healthy lifestyle.

There are many rules of lesser importance that I live by,  but those are the major ones.

CJ

I like your view...and very well said.

Ed

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeah, and the story of a righteous Job indicates...that sometimes bad things happen to good people?  

Job, Jacob, Joseph, Elijah, Daniel, Shadrach, Mesach, Abednego, Isaiah, Jeremiah......

Lots of bad things happened to all of them.

But God carried them through and protected them. He certainly didn't shield them from all pain and suffering.

Are you implying that He did?

The Bible is a guide...holding it as a weapon for those who are in dire straits is a sin.

The Bible is a sharp object. A sharp instrument can be used to cure or to kill. The difference is the intent with which it is wielded.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Job, Jacob, Joseph, Elijah, Daniel, Shadrach, Mesach, Abednego, Isaiah, Jeremiah......

Lots of bad things happened to all of them.

But God carried them through and protected them. He certainly didn't shield them from all pain and suffering.

Are you implying that He did?

The Bible is a sharp object. A sharp instrument can be used to cure or to kill. The difference is the intent with which it is wielded.

The Bible is not a sharp object...even though I know longer run through the home with scissors, I do understand that neither is a trite comment that the Bible is sharp.

Certainly it does contain a message...and it's that the Bible is not "in Heaven".  It was divinely inspired for people to use as a tool for living--not for use as "A sharp instrument can be used to cure or to kill. The difference is the intent with which it is wielded."

Were we more in tune with the precept of the Bible as a tool for living amongst each other, we would be less detoured by the need to "...wield..." it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Bible is not a sharp object...even though I know longer run through the home with scissors, I do understand that neither is a trite comment that the Bible is sharp.

"12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."

Hebrews 4

Certainly it does contain a message...and it's that the Bible is not "in Heaven".  It was divinely inspired for people to use as a tool for living--not for use as "A sharp instrument can be used to cure or to kill. The difference is the intent with which it is wielded."

"5 Every word of God is pure;
     He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. "

Proverbs 30

"Therefore thus says the LORD God of hosts:

“ Because you speak this word,
     Behold, I will make My words in your mouth fire,
     And this people wood,
     And it shall devour them.
      15 Behold, I will bring a nation against you from afar,
     O house of Israel,” says the LORD. "

Jeremiah 5

The Word of God is many things. To those who obey it, it is a shield of protection. To everyone it discerns the motives and intents of the heart. To those who are rebellious, it is a curse and a fire that will consume them.

Were we more in tune with the precept of the Bible as a tool for living amongst each other, we would be less detoured by the need to "...wield..." it.

The precept of The Bible is the supremacy and authority of God Almighty. It is His Word. His Word can be comfort, assurance, inspiration and education...but it can also be a weapon.

The man with God's heart will wield God's word properly, using it as appropriate and according to the proper season.

The prophets spoke great comfort to Israel...They also spoke punishment to Israel and utter doom to her enemies.

God isn't a hippie.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#26]
God knows all his children. Those who have not had the chance to hear his gospel in this life will have the opportunity in the time between death and ressurrection. I can't swallow the doctrine of predestination. there would be no purpose to this life. Now is the time to choose who we follow. Evil people cannot be sent to hell if they are not allowed to choose it. Good people suffer when this happens. They, the good, will get the rewards in the next life. God will not send a person to hell just because he never heard of Him and his Son. At least not the God the Mormons believe in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account."

Hebrews 4

"5 Every word of God is pure;
     He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. "

Proverbs 30

"Therefore thus says the LORD God of hosts:

“ Because you speak this word,
     Behold, I will make My words in your mouth fire,
     And this people wood,
     And it shall devour them.
      15 Behold, I will bring a nation against you from afar,
     O house of Israel,” says the LORD. "

Jeremiah 5

The Word of God is many things. To those who obey it, it is a shield of protection. To everyone it discerns the motives and intents of the heart. To those who are rebellious, it is a curse and a fire that will consume them.

The precept of The Bible is the supremacy and authority of God Almighty. It is His Word. His Word can be comfort, assurance, inspiration and education...but it can also be a weapon.

The man with God's heart will wield God's word properly, using it as appropriate and according to the proper season.

The prophets spoke great comfort to Israel...They also spoke punishment to Israel and utter doom to her enemies.

God isn't a hippie.

lol after reading this I was reminded of the scene in the movie Saved where a Christian girl screams "I am filled with Christ's Love" as she throws a Bible at another girl ;)

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
..My religion says he is the only god. So are all the people worshiping others gods in their own religions crazy? There are so many other religons and gods, why wouldnt he just make sure everyone worshipped him? make it so theres only 1?

Because God did not want to create robots programed to love him,

but instead people who CHOOSE to love him

and as soon as you give people a choice, they will choose evil over good,

and turn their back on Jesus' sacrefice for us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top