Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
Sorry to take you from your busy day persecution the Christian majority on this site but recently I saw a post where one of you (and now I can't find it anywhere) mentioned that your religion is more about works than creeds.  Mention was made on the many different forms and how many argue that Judaism doesn't have a creed like many religions.

That being the case is it possible to be an atheist and be a religious Jew?

If I don't believe in God, but I attempt to live by God's law, what happens to me when I die?

ETA: Arowner mentioned the first commandment, but commandments are broken all the time.    If I'm an adulterer, I'm also breaking the commandments.   Many modern Jews don't live by inconvenient portions of the Law.  Is this a more serious breach than the others?

Completely serious question, I'm just curious

p.s. post title and first sentence is a joke, this forum needs to lighten up
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Sorry to take you from your busy day persecution the Christian majority on this site but recently I saw a post where one of you (and now I can't find it anywhere) mentioned that your religion is more about works than creeds.  Mention was made on the many different forms and how many argue that Judaism doesn't have a creed like many religions.

If I don't believe in God, but I attempt to live by God's law, what happens to me when I die?

To put it simply, I suppose you will get judged by your failure to follow the first commandment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To put it simply, I suppose you will get judged by your failure to follow the first commandment.

That is my assumption, but you and I both come at it from a Christian worldview.  I was looking for our Jewish members to give their perspectives.

ooh, thanks made me think of another Q to add

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Our first commandment is that you recognize that their is a G-d, so no. Though if you are following his laws then surely he would reveal himself to you and clear your head of doubt.

See above.

Cut it out or we'll make you an offer you can't refuse.
Yes, we have a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You raise two issues which are very insightful!  And no, I didn't take offense to the mafia thing at all; though there is a good book about the Jewish mafia...I believe is has the title of "...they were good to their mothers!"

Anyway, as to a creed, the closest that Judaism has is the Shema (transliteration).  This is found in the Torah, and means:  "Listen, O Israel, The Lord is G-d, The Lord is One".  Jews pray this three times per day as is referenced in the Torah.  Abraham prayed at daylight (so we Jews so too pray), Issac prayed at noontime (so we Jews so too pray), and Jacob prayed at night (so we Jews so too pray).

Re: If I don't believe in God, but I attempt to live by God's law, what happens to me when I die?

Jew believe that all who live a good life during the time on earth have a life in the "world to come".  This is a great deal (IMHO), as there is no bonus at the end.  Our collective merit lies in the works we do on earth.  The beauty of a life that transcends this is not an issue.  Only how we try to make live on earth meaningful for ourselves and the rest of humanity.  No bonus.  No gratuity.  Just that.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WHy?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHy?

Sgatr15

Why not?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA: Arowner mentioned the first commandment, but commandments are broken all the time.    If I'm an adulterer, I'm also breaking the commandments.   Many modern Jews don't live by inconvenient portions of the Law.  Is this a more serious breach than the others?

Completely serious question, I'm just curious

Hi Dino...I apologize for not thoroughly reading your post.  

Your reference that “…Many modern Jews don't live by inconvenient portions of the Law.  Is this a more serious breach than the others?” is true to some extent---let me explain.

Jews of all denominations believe that within the Torah, there are 613 Commandments that G-d prescribed.  NOTE:  The following is a generalization.

Of these 613 Commandments, approximately 30% were relevant only during the time the Temple existed.  The second 30% generally pertain to agricultural laws within the land of Israel (for instance, “gleanings of the field”).

Sure, some Jews eat pork or other treif…I leave it to those to live with that.

However, if Judaism is to be portrayed as to the offense of driving to synagogue on Shabbos, or to eat some treif; then the understanding of the core of Judaism has been missed.

Judaism, at its core, is a tenet of ethics.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Just call us the"Purple Gang"

I think ScubaEd answered your question.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Eloquent!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Eloquent!  

Sorry, I get tired of people that can't answer simple questions.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our first commandment is that you recognize that their is a G-d, so no. Though if you are following his laws then surely he would reveal himself to you and clear your head of doubt.

See above.

I knew yall had a sense of humor, It was directed towards any hyperactive mods :)

I'm contrasting your answer with the one Scuba_Ed gave and am still unclear.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above.

I knew yall had a sense of humor, It was directed towards any hyperactive mods :)

'sorry Dino---lot's of time-latent messages, I believe we lost our "thread"...what point you mentioned that you have a Jewish question for?

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHy?

Sgatr15

I'm interested in the differences in thought on this subject.   Its an area I don't know much about, so I will also learn something.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Eloquent!  

Sorry, I get tired of people that can't answer simple questions.

Sgat1r5

Golly, I tried--what did I miss?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sorry for the slight hijack.

I know many Jews who are atheists. Same as some Catholics, Baptists, etc. For many their religion is nothing more than a family tradition vs an actual belief.

I think its common in any religion.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above.

'sorry Dino---lot's of time-latent messages, I believe we lost our "thread"...what point you mentioned that you have a Jewish question for?

Ed

Specifically, if, as an atheist, I live an ethical life in all other ways (with allowances for human failing) and attempt to live by the Law that is still viewed as valid, would I have a place in the world to come?

Think of it as Pascal's Wager from a Jewish perspective.  

From a Christian perspective, Pascal's wager is foolish as the primary concentration is on belief.  If you don't believe, you burn.    Your characterization of Judaism as an ethical belief system got me curious.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Jew believe that all who live a good life during the time on earth have a life in the "world to come".  This is a great deal (IMHO), as there is no bonus at the end.  Our collective merit lies in the works we do on earth.  The beauty of a life that transcends this is not an issue.  Only how we try to make live on earth meaningful for ourselves and the rest of humanity.  No bonus.  No gratuity.  Just that.

Ed

That is the essence of UU belief as well.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the slight hijack.

I know many Jews who are atheists. Same as some Catholics, Baptists, etc. For many their religion is nothing more than a family tradition vs an actual belief.

I think its common in any religion.

Yeah, I believe you're right.   However, my dear and very sweet wife is Christian, from pretty much the heart of the Bible Belt.  We've been married for two years.

She's beautiful to behold, though what struck me so was the beauty of her heart.

Family tradition? Actual belief?

As with my wife, we both ascribe that actions are louder than words...be they intoned in my Jewish liturgy or hers.  I've been very lucky that she celebrates Shabbos with me, and also goes to synogogue regularly, as well as to the High Holy Days.

Our common bond in love is not too different from your post.  As different as my wife and I are in faith...the faith that binds us is the faith of love and decency.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

That is the essence of UU belief as well.  

Thanks, Dino.

I've posted before that what we have in common is far greater than what we perceive our differences to be.  I work with a fellow who is also UU; 'darned if we haven't had some great conversations and commentary which we've both learned from.

B'Shalom,

Ed

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above.

Ed

Specifically, if, as an atheist, I live an ethical life in all other ways (with allowances for human failing) and attempt to live by the Law that is still viewed as valid, would I have a place in the world to come?

Think of it as Pascal's Wager from a Jewish perspective.  

From a Christian perspective, Pascal's wager is foolish as the primary concentration is on belief.  If you don't believe, you burn.    Your characterization of Judaism as an ethical belief system got me curious.

Hi Dino--from the Jewish perspective, there's been much written of the "world to come".  That said, uhh, no-one (OKAY--This is from a Jewish perspective!) has ever come back to us.  Golly, if we knew it would be a great party w/ food and leisure--what Jew wouldn't want that!)  :-)

Back to being serious, the honest answer from the preponderance of the Jewish community is based--and I don't mean this as disrespective--upon rationality.  Judaism has often been referred to as legalistic.

Quite often, though, the legalism is a form of humanism.  

We’re all human, with our foibles, and our noble aspirations.  Most often, all of us simply want to arise from bed in the morning, go to work and do our best, then to return home…to love and compassion.  

A cycle.

Every day.

Were we to treat our fellows with the same courage and love with which we approach our families and our obligations to both—and then to have said to us that because we didn’t believe in one way or another—that our lives, and those we hold dear, are in peril because of that g-d, or ideology we don’t espouse?

Some texts will espouse that it’s one way or the highway.  Were someone to tell me that, based upon what I know what a good life means…I would take the highway.

Several years ago, in Fairfax County, my rabbi attended a conference of religious leaders within the county.  The question asked by my rabbi was whose religion would accept me in whatever the “world to come” is—and the only positive response came from a Buddhist leader.

You tell, me, then…where’s the love?

Who's inclusive?

That is often the most telling.

B'Shalom,

Ed
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#23]
thanks Scuba_Ed, good read.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks, Dino---I've enjoyed you through these posts; hope we can further share in the future.

B'Shalom,

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top