Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 4:45:56 AM EDT
Proverbs 19:20-29

20  Listen to counsel and accept discipline,
That you may be wise the rest of your days.    

21  Many plans are in a man's heart,
But the counsel of the LORD will stand.    

22  What is desirable in a man is his kindness,
And it is better to be a poor man than a liar.    

23  The fear of the LORD leads to life,
So that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil.    

24  The sluggard buries his hand in the dish,
But will not even bring it back to his mouth.    

25  Strike a scoffer and the naive may become shrewd,
But reprove one who has understanding and he will gain knowledge.    

26  He who assaults his father and drives his mother away
Is a shameful and disgraceful son.    

27  Cease listening, my son, to discipline,
And you will stray from the words of knowledge.    

28  A rascally witness makes a mockery of justice,
And the mouth of the wicked spreads iniquity.    

29  Judgments are prepared for scoffers,
And blows for the back of fools.

There are a number of ways to regard the wisdom of the book of Proverbs.  The most important place to place to begin is the foundation.  All wisdom is founded upon fear of the LORD (1:7).  That fear is not to be servile and mortal dread; rather, it is to live with the knowledge tha God's eye is upon you, and that he judges your heart.

With these thoughts as a foundatioin, it is helpful to read these passages not just as pithy sayings that lead you to live in a certain way, but as revealing the character of God Himself.

With a little reflection, you can see the following aspects of God's character in this passage: (20) God often uses people around you to provide guidance in dealing with daily decisions; (21) God's sovereign rule often runs counter to the hidden plans we make in our hearts; (22) God is kind and truthful, and expects the same in us; (23) God protects those who fear him from many evils in the world; (24) God dislikes laziness; (25) God regards growing in the fear of Him as a good thing in all people; (26) God will punish those who treat their parents with neglect and abuse by bringing public ridicule against them; (27) God's Word and providencial discipline of his children have a preservative effect on on our lives; (28) God is not indifferent to the conduct of liars in society at large, and He punishes a society that tolerates liars by allowing it to reap the ugly problems that result from sin; (29) God will, in one way or another, bring misery to those who disregard His eye upon them.

Have a great day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Upon a little more reflection, it may be that the word "counsel" in v. 21 is intended to mean "guidance given from the Lord to us," rather than His secret plans.  With this reading, the verse encourages us to make our plans as close to conformity with God's wisdom as possible, if we wish the results of our plans to be something that achieves our intended objective in a lasting way.

Either reading is worthwhile to meditate upon, and worthy of further study...   Comments?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There are a number of ways to regard the wisdom of the book of Proverbs.  The most important place to place to begin is the foundation.  All wisdom is founded upon fear of the LORD (1:7).  That fear is not to be servile and mortal dread; rather, it is to live with the knowledge tha God's eye is upon you, and that he judges your heart.

Good to see you back, I wasnt so good at the daily Scriptures.

I agree that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Like you mentioned, not a servcile fear or one of dread, but of love. I fear to disappoint my loving father because of the shame I will endure. I fear to let Him down after all He has dne on my behalf. If it were not all of God, I would not be saved, even my ability to thank Him is a gift from Him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top