Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 12:44:34 PM EDT
Carbineman asked if I could do this while he was away for a while. Sorry so late in the day.

Luke 19:1-5
 "1 Then Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. 2 Now behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus who was a chief tax collector, and he was rich. 3 And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way. 5 And when Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him,[a] and said to him, “Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house.”

How many of us had to try to raise our stature in order to get noticed? How many of us tried of our own works to get God to take notice? What is awesome about the calling of God is that its for us all. The rich, poor, ingnorant and intelligent.

This is an exceprt from a study that I enjoyed. Hope you like it as well.

"Zaccheus was a character whom we should suppose the last to be saved. He belonged to a bad city—Jericho—a city which had been cursed, and no one would suspect that any one would come out of Jericho to be saved. It was near Jericho that the man fell among thieves; we trust Zaccheus had no hand in it; but there are some who, while they are publicans, can be thieves also. We might as well expect converts from St. Giles's, or the lowest parts of London, from the worst and vilest dens of infamy, as from Jericho in those days. Ah! my brethren, it matters not where you come from; you may come from one of the dirtiest streets, one of the worst back slums in London but if effectual grace call you, it is an effectual call, which knoweth no distinction of place.

Zaccheus also was of an exceedingly bad trade, and probably cheated the people in order to enrich himself. Indeed, when Christ went into his house, there was an universal murmur that he had gone to be a guest with a man that was a sinner. Grace knows no distinction; it is no respector of persons, but God calls whom He wills, and He called this worst of publicans, in the worst of cities, from the worst of trades. Besides, Zaccheus was one who was the least likely to be saved because he was rich. It is true, rich and poor are welcome; no one has the least excuse for despair because of his condition; yet it is a fact that "not many great men," after the flesh, "not many mighty," are called, but "God hath chosen the poor of this world—rich in faith." But grace knows no distinction here. The rich Zaccheus is called from the tree; down he comes, and he is saved. I have thought it one of the greatest instances of God's condescension that he can look down on man; but I will tell you there was a greater condescension than that, when Christ looked up to see Zaccheus. For God to look down on his creatures—that is mercy; but for Christ so to humble himself that he has to look up to one of his own creatures, that becomes mercy indeed. Ah! many of you have climbed up the tree of your own good works, and perched yourselves in the branches of your holy actions, and are trusting in the free will of the poor creature, or resting in some worldly maxim; nevertheless, Christ looks up even to proud sinners, and calls them down. "Come down," says he, "to-day I must abide in thy house." Had Zaccheus been a humble-minded man, sitting by the wayside, or at the feet of Christ, we should then have admired Christ's mercy; but here he is lifted up, and Christ looks up to him, and bids him come down."
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Carbineman asked if I could do this while he was away for a while. Sorry so late in the day.

I need the WORD at all times of the day.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What is your "study"?

A class or a study Bible.

I have a study Bible that I use that has helped greatly understanding a few things.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your "study"?

A class or a study Bible.

I have a study Bible that I use that has helped greatly understanding a few things.

SGat1r5

Study bibles are a must IMHO. We do many studies from my local church but some of the best ones were done in home with friends of other denominations. There is common ground we all should strive to edify each other with. The Lord has also used the net to make fellowship wider and bible studies sometimes jump right out at me when I least expected it. Those are the best. Sometimes its one I needed to hear and its like the Holy Spirit slapped me upside the head with it.

The particular one I put up is actually an exerpt from a sermon written in the 1800's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top