Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 3:12:32 PM EDT
RELIGION?......in basic, are your beliefs(whatever they maybe)supported by the military.........I was thinking "muslims" in the marine's I did a state run "basic" and it was -neutral- religion wise. BUT there were no muslims.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not in the military aymore but my dog tags said NO REL PREF. I was an atheist back then and they never pushed religion on me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
when I was in you had to really work at it to get any kind of attention from the chaplain, and services when they had them were non-denom and casual.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When you consider most chaplains have to cover all the bases, what you get is a watered down version. But I never saw it pushed on anyone
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
There was one Muslim (white guy, not arab) in my OCS (Marine Corps)  company. Chaplain tried to accomodate him, got him a Koran (au lieu of the New Testaments they were handing out). They gave out NT's by default, but offered to exchange for Torah or a Koran if you desired. He wasn't in my platoon, so I don't know if he graduated.

During our Chaplain's brief, I think he said there were a handful (<6) of imams serving as navy chaplains.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been in the Army and National Guard for about 15yr's and have not seen religion "pushed" It has been encouraged in a general sense, They always let you know about the Chaplins availibility.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
religiously neutral for me, everyone was given the opportunity but noone was ever forced.

You had sunday morning free to do whatever you wished in bootcamp, including attending services.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top