Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 7:59:02 PM EDT
This is for all religious members to participate in if they wish.

If you are a Jew, whats the book you use most?
Muslim?
Hindu?
Unitarian?
Wiccan?
Buddhist?
Christian?
anyone I missed?

For me I use the Reformation Study Bible also known as the New Geneva Bible. Its in the NKJV language.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
<This isn't GD and it isn't the Bear Pit.  Please keep conversation here serious and respectful.  --tbk1>

As below:  the first part was a joke.  It was not ment to be insulting to anyone.  If that was out of line, I apologize.

I do, however, stand by my statement that I do not have a holy book.  My beliefs do not need a holy book of any form.

If this is truely going to be a religion forum, open for all discussion about religion, then it should not be a "christians only" forum, which is what it rapidly appears to be becoming -- if its going to be a "christians only" forum, please change the forum title to such, so those of us who are non-christian know we're not welcome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know a book title could be flippant or disrespectful.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I rather like James in the King James Version

though Moses and 1 Nephi also hold dear parts of my heart

and I have read all the other books (re-reading the OT now) it is just hard to read them all without losing the information and gospel they contain
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

and I have read all the other books (re-reading the OT now) it is just hard to read them all without losing the information and gospel they contain

When I was 19 years old I read the "Authorized or King James "Version" of the Old and New Testaments, "translated" out of "original tongues" and with all "former translations" diligently "compared" and "revised", Red Letter "Edition" cover to cover.  It included a pictorial pronunciation dictionary and other interesting instructional features.

Some of the books in the Old Testament were hard to get through because they are nothing more than seemingly endless documentation of people begating other people, mulitple wives and concubines tracing the lineage of Abraham but I was resolved to read every word and I did.

Since then I have read some better stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was 19 years old I read the "Authorized or King James "Version" of the Old and New Testaments, "translated" out of "original tongues" and with all "former translations" diligently "compared" and "revised", Red Letter "Eddition" cover to cover.  It included a pictorial pronunciation dictionary and other interesting instructional features.

Some of the books in the Old Testament were hard to get through because they are nothing more than seemingly endless documentation of people begating other people, mulitple wives and concubines tracing the lineage of Abraham but I was resolved to read every word and I did.

Since then I have read some better stuff.

I read them at least once a year, not coutning random scripture reading.  I do not have a red letter edition of the KJV, though at soem point I would not mind reading it. I have a red letter New International Version that I have strictly for bible studies ****Edited****<va-gunnut>

I have been doing this since I was 19, so this year is my eigth year doing so, I do read things other than scripture though, in case people might think I spend all my time reading scripture.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]

****Edited****<va-gunnut>

That's not very nice or respectful is it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.costabravahomes.co.uk/acatalog/bk327.jpg

and no, that's not a joke, it actually sits inside a handmade dust jacket with Holy Bible inscribed on the front. Used to read it a lot in school, knew better than to take it as was. If I have anything approaching a religion it is the study of rifles.

Easy there or you may get one of these:

<This isn't GD and it isn't the Bear Pit. Please keep conversation here serious and respectful. --tbk1>

All I did was post the  name of the book "The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin" so I'm not sure if "The Book of Rifles by W. H. B. Smith and Joseph E. Smith" will be classified as "not serious or dis-repectful".

I guess it's all subject to interpretation.........
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Kang James here but I've notied very many churches moving to NIV or others.

Every time this happens the text gets further from the original.
The "dumbing down" of the Bible in my opinon.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
First my comment about it being arfcom was called a joke.  If that was out of line, sorry.

Seriously, I don't have one.  Why is that not a valid answer?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First my comment about it being arfcom was called a joke.  If that was out of line, sorry.

Seriously, I don't have one.  Why is that not a valid answer?

This is a technical forum.  It is a place for serious discussion--not jokes, sarcasm, or other banter which would be fine in GD.  

Ok, fine.  Jokes = bad.  Understood.

Why remove my comment about not having a holy book?

Edit to add a cut'n'paste from above:

I do, however, stand by my statement that I do not have a holy book. My beliefs do not need a holy book of any form.

If this is truely going to be a religion forum, open for all discussion about religion, then it should not be a "christians only" forum, which is what it rapidly appears to be becoming -- if its going to be a "christians only" forum, please change the forum title to such, so those of us who are non-christian know we're not welcome.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Unitarian Universalism doesn't have a specific holy book, we probably read from the Bible more than most (especially the prophetic books of the Old Testament) but I have attended services where readings from the Koran and the Bhagavad Ghita were used.

We don't see any holy book as being infallible or the only source of Truth.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unitarian Universalism doesn't have a specific holy book, we probably read from the Bible more than most (especially the prophetic books of the Old Testament) but I have attended services where readings from the Koran and the Bhagavad Ghita were used.

I had not heard of UU (is that what you'd call it?  I mean no disrespect) until you started
posting here.   Could you start a thread maybe with one or 2 paragraphs that explain
in your words what UU's doctrine is?  I know I could Google it but I'd rather hear
it from someone that is just attempting to explain it, not to sell it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
deleted - was off topic.

sorry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
edited by me as it was already answered.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this really so difficult?  

We have a forum for "religious discussion."  Within that forum we have a thread author who asks:

Whats Your Holy Book?

. . . and the first sentence of his thread is:

Now, in keeping with the <adamantly expected> spirit of serious discourse only here, we expect to not see posts such as, "I don't believe in such myths" or "I don't have a holy book."  If someone does not have a "holy book" then this thread needs no response, as it doesn't apply to that individual.  Is it so very difficult for some of you to just STFU from time to time?  We hope for this thread to not be trolled, or soiled with bullshit, but assistance will gladly be provided as needed.  

Any non-Christian who wishes to have a "I don't believe in God" discussion is free to do so, to whatever degree Believers wish to argue/discuss--but interjecting atheistic comments into other discussion will not be tolerated.  Start your own thread.

If someone goes into the AR10 forum to interject bullshit into every thread about how they think the AR10 is crap/worthless/overpriced/unreliable (or whatever they think) then it is looked upon as trolling and dealt with.  Same here.  

just curious, not trying to be a smart-alec, but is it the official arfcom position that atheism isn't a religion?

its the position of  anyone who can read a dictionary.  

I am an atheist, my religion is Unitarian Universalism.

Some atheists (like myself) are religious, some consider themselves spiritual but not religious, some believe in nothing supernatural at all.    

Atheism is nothing more than a No answer to the question do you believe in God.   It is the only question you can answer based on atheism.  For any other question, you would have to be relying on some other belief system/philosophy.

Atheism is incompatible with any religion that requires a belief in a personal Deity, but it is not a religion in itself.  Nor is it a moral code, atheism is amoral.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had not heard of UU (is that what you'd call it?  I mean no disrespect) until you started
posting here.   Could you start a thread maybe with one or 2 paragraphs that explain
in your words what UU's doctrine is?  I know I could Google it but I'd rather hear
it from someone that is just attempting to explain it, not to sell it.

sure, I don't want to screw it up so give me some time to think on it  and I'll post some stuff

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I appreciate the responses. Its good to get a view on others beliefs. It alleviates ignorance and makes for better understanding. I am interested in Dinos take as his view is new to me and I find it interesting and am learning new stuff.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Back on topic - KJV only, here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Apparently having my own set of religious beliefs, that don't require a holy book, now makes me unwelcome.  I am not athiest.  I am not christian.  I don't really fall in any category.

I was hoping the religion forum would be a place for discussion, but apparently it is not.

Just for clarification.  "History of rifles" is ok as a "holy book" but "I don't have one" is not.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

For me I use the Reformation Study Bible also known as the New Geneva Bible. Its in the NKJV language.

Could you give me a bit more information about this Bible?  I recently learned that the Geneva Bible, not the King James, was used by many of the Puritans.

I'm interested in learning more about it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]
formerly NIV, but i've been reading from a digital copy lately so: NKJV.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this really so difficult?   Apparently it is unless you're christian.

We have a forum for "religious discussion."  Within that forum we have a thread author who asks:

Whats Your Holy Book?

. . . and the first sentence of his thread is:

Now, in keeping with the <adamantly expected> spirit of serious discourse only here, we expect to not see posts such as, "I don't believe in such myths" or "I don't have a holy book."  If someone does not have a "holy book" Except it IS possible to be religious without having a holy book, and therefore my comment is perfectly valid in the context of "for all religious members" then this thread needs no response, as it doesn't apply to that individual.  Is it so very difficult for some of you to just STFU from time to time?  We hope for this thread to not be trolled, or soiled with bullshit, but assistance will gladly be provided as needed.  

Any non-Christian who wishes to have a "I don't believe in God" discussion is free to do so, to whatever degree Believers wish to argue/discuss--but interjecting atheistic Ah HAH!  I see the problem.  I'm not athiestic.  My beliefs do not require a book.  You misunderstand me, and think I'm trolling, when I'm not. comments into other discussion will not be tolerated.  Start your own thread.

If someone goes into the AR10 forum to interject bullshit into every thread about how they think the AR10 is crap/worthless/overpriced/unreliable (or whatever they think) then it is looked upon as trolling and dealt with.  Same here.  Except in this religious forum, I'm being told my religion is considered trolling.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ok, fine.  Jokes = bad.  Understood.

Not necessarily, but jokes about matters of faith can cross the line.

I think you're overreacting a tad.

Notice from the original post:  

If you are a Jew, whats the book you use most?
Muslim?
Hindu?
Unitarian?
Wiccan?
Buddhist?
Christian?
anyone I missed?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh, and I usually read KJV, NIV, and Amplified in my studies.  My main sword is an NIV Study Bible.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I use NIV but the KJV has a great flavor for some of the scripture (ie. Psalm 23, Luke 2, etc).

If I could read it, I think I would most prefer the original Hebrew and Greek version.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Apparently having my own set of religious beliefs, that don't require a holy book, now makes me unwelcome.  I am not athiest.  I am not christian.  I don't really fall in any category.

I was hoping the religion forum would be a place for discussion, but apparently it is not.

Just for clarification.  "History of rifles" is ok as a "holy book" but "I don't have one" is not.

FotBR,   I think your overreacting a bit.   I posted much the same answer but I did it

1) without a joke
2) in a respectful manner

Sometimes it not what you say, its how you say it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I use NIV but the KJV has a great flavor for some of the scripture (ie. Psalm 23, Luke 2, etc).

If I could read it, I think I would most prefer the original Hebrew and Greek version.

The King James version was the first bible put into modern language.  
King James is an interesting figure himself.  He was King of both England
and Scotland, and he was known then as King James I and VI.   He was
King James I of England and King James VI of Scotland.  Since he was
Monarch of both countries, he united them by royal decree.

Until King James ordered the 54 man "translation committee" to work, there was no Bible
in the "modern" tongue.

Again history here, and the Catholics will be pissed but;

For many reasons, including this one, the Roman Catholic Church tried to assassinate
King James many times during his reign.  

Most notably, in 1605 Roman Catholic Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up Parliament when the king was to have been present. The conspiracy was discovered and all co-conspirators were executed. This failed attempt is celebrated on November 5 in England each year and is known as Guy Fawkes Night.

In the preface to the original publication, the Translation Committee wrote the following:

"So much are they afraid of the light of the scripture, that they will not trust the people with it...Sure we are that not he that hath the good gold, that is afraid to bring it to the touchstone, but he that hath the counterfeit."

Rome felt that the common man did not need to read the Bible, that it was only for priests
and scholars.

In fact, until 1960 or so (maybe it was VaticanII), all bibles in Roman Catholic Churches
had annotations to "explain" some of the things that were felt might conflict with
Roman Catholic doctrinal teachings.  After that date, the annotations have been removed,
but there is still a Roman Catholic Bible, but now it uses the same source of translation
as the King James version.

Lots of bloodshed over this version of the Bible, no question.

James was also the founding Monarch of the US.  Of founding colonies here the King wrote:

"To make habitation...and to deduce a colony of sundry of our people into that part of America, commonly called Virginia...in propagating of Christian religion to such people as yet live in darkness...to bring a settled and quiet government."

Charlton Heston had this to say about the KJV, and I agree with him completely.

"...the King James translation has been described as the only great work of art ever created by a committee...The authors of several boring translations that have followed over the last fifty years mumble that the KJV is "difficult" filled with long words...Over the past several centuries it's been the single book in most households an enormous force in shaping the development of the English language. Carried around the world by missionaries...Exploring it...was one of the most rewarding creative experiences of my life."

"The King James Bible of 1611", which is the full title,  is the #1 most published book in history.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#36]
The WORD of GOD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
BIBLE

All translations I can get my hands on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#38]
i've been reading the kjv nelson study bible for about the last 2 yrs.
i really like the sound of the kjv,but it is hard to understand sometimes.
this bible gives the niv version of the tougher words to understand.also
has a good short commentary at the bottom of the pages.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Muslim?
Hindu?
Unitarian?
Wiccan?
Buddhist?
Christian?
anyone I missed?

Ba'hai. You missed Ba'hai.

And Assatruar.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey garandman, that respect thing is supposed to run both ways.. in theory anyway.

Gnostics.. They always forget the gnostics.

hmmm.. Holy books?

I dunno. I suppose the most true answer would be.... All of them. And I don't just mean religious texts but all books.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
. I have a red letter New International Version that I have strictly for bible studies ****Edited****<va-gunnut>

Awwww crap, I said somethign to piss someone off, and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, sorry for whatever it was
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Back on topic - KJV only, here.

KJV is #1, IMO. Some very smart people have told me that it is bar none the best translation out there, because it is, so far as possible, translated word-for-word from the original tongues. There is no interpretation; nobody trying to put (his idea of)  the "sense" of the text into English idiom. That's why (and I had this confirmed by my son, who reads Greek ) Paul sounds so odd to us, with sentences a mile and a half long and verbs buried out in the back 40, 300 yards from their objects: it's a word for word translation from Greek, and the Greek syntax and word order are preserved in the KJV.

If I am (as I do all too infrequently) reading something closely, I do like to have a couple of other translations handy. Believe it or not, I am reliably informed that the Good News Bible is a sound (though idiomatic) translation. I do find it useful, though, to be able to compare 2 or 3 translations of a particularly dense or complex passage.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Hmm, don't really have a holy book. Books I have read.

The Bible NIV KJV
Some of the Torah
Some of the Qur'an
Some of the Pali
and so other stuff.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#44]
KJV and especially the NKJV are my choices.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:25:48 AM EDT
[#45]
****Deleted****<va-gunnut>
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#46]
King James
red letter
extra large type for my old eyes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#47]
The KJV Bible
The Book of Mormon
The Doctrine and Covenants (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints)
The Pearl of Great Price(more LDS cannon)

All very good books to read and try to live by.  Also, I like Franklins Autobiography but it's not really a religious book but it has good words to live by.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:01:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hey garandman, that respect thing is supposed to run both ways.. in theory anyway.

?que?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top