Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 4:36:06 AM EDT
WHat do you like to say in the morning to start your day?

I say the following:

God, I give you all of me, the good and the bad.  To do with me and build with me as thou will.  Relieve me of the bondage of self so I may better do thy will will.  Take away my difficulties so I may bear witness to those of thy love, thy power and thy way of life.  

Amen.

So, are there any set prayers you have?  I do of course mix it up with converstaion

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Father thank you for your son Jesus and all he has done for me. Let me not fall into temptation but give me strength to resist. If the Holy Spirit needs to talk to me today have him hit me up side of the head with a hammer as you know I don't take hints well. I love you and your will be done. Talk to you soon.

I talk to my lord as if he were right beside me. Not trying to be disrespecful.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I talk to my lord as if he were right beside me. Not trying to be disrespecful.

So do I at times.

I liked the hammer idea..Lord knows I need that DAILY!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]

I usually forget to pray in the morning.    But my wife and I pray together before we go to bed at night.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But my wife and I pray together before we go to bed at night.  I highly recommend it.

AGreed, I am still working on being comfortable praying with others however.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But my wife and I pray together before we go to bed at night.  I highly recommend it.

Sgat1r5

Does not pray well with others.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

She doesn't either.  You're not alone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

In a church setting I am just fine.

In small groupos it is hard because I consider prayer so personnal.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]

I understand.  I was called on to pray in Sunday School this weekend and I hate it when that happens.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever done the liturgy of the hours?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer Thee my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart, in union with the holy sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of my family and friends, and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father.  Amen.

I've attended Vespers (evening prayer) before, but never the morning Liturgy of the Hours.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

what are you talking about?

I have read during Mass  yes, if that's what you mean.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I am very private about praying. I like to pray alone, just me and the big guy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

In a church setting I am just fine.

In small groupos it is hard because I consider prayer so personnal.

Sgat1r5

Mathew 18:20

For where two or three have gathered together in My name,
I am there in their midst.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what are you talking about?

I have read during Mass  yes, if that's what you mean.

Sgat1r5

Sorry... should have been more specific.  I was looking into various lay orders and stumbled on the LoH.  I'm a convert so all this stuff is new to me.    I just started doing the LoH.  It takes a while, but it's full of scripture and the writings of the saints, so it's really good for a noob like me.  

If you don't have your own copy of the LoH, you can print out free handy booklets of it here (and it's all in order, so no page flipping or fiddling with ribbon bookmarks)www.prayday.com/A55691/web2/personalprayer.nsf

liturgyny.catholic.org/lithours1.htm

Liturgical Prayer ... the public, daily prayer of the Church, that is, of Christ and his people, one element of the prayer which the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy describes as the sacred action surpassing all others ... the primary and indispensable source of the true Christian spirit. CL n. 7, 14

Prayer which is intimately related to the Eucharist and which the Church understands as a preparation for and a continuation of the action of the Eucharist throughout the day.

Prayer which is about the sanctification of time, that is, of each day, and is linked with the Feasts and Seasons of the Liturgical Year as well as with the natural rhythms of the day, especially the alternation of light and darkness.

Prayer which relies heavily on Scripture ... the psalms and the canticles as well as readings from the old and new testaments for the bulk of its content.

Prayer which has a long history in the Church, going back to first centuries; prayer which originated in gatherings of the people with their bishop and later spread to monastic and other religious groups.

Prayer which has a basic formal structure, both within the day and within each individual hour.

Prayer which is prayed communally in formal Church gatherings, in informal groups of the faithful and even in families, but which may also be prayed by individuals who are not able to pray it in common. Whether prayed communally or by individuals, the Liturgy of the Hours is always the liturgical prayer of the Church: the prayer of Christ the priest and of the Body of Christ, the Church throughout the world and the Communion of Saints in heaven.

liturgyny.catholic.org/lithour2.htm

The Liturgy of the Hours is the daily prayer of the Church which is prayed at certain significant times of the day. It includes the Invitatory and a number of "hours".

Invitatory ~ This is the opening prayer of the Office and is prayed at the beginning of the day before the first hour of the Office.

Morning Prayer (Lauds) ~ This hour is prayed at sunrise or in the early morning. It is one of the two most important (hinge) hours of the Office and, if possible, should be prayed in common.

Daytime Prayer (Terce, Sext, None) ~ In the post-Vatican II reform of the office, it is suggested that one of these hours, that which is most convenient for the individual, be prayed. The daytime hours are

~Midmorning
~Midday
~Midafternoon

Evening Prayer (Vespers) ~ This hour is prayed at sunset, i.e. late afternoon or early evening. It is the second of the hinge hours and, like Morning Prayer, should be prayed in common if possible.

Night Prayer (Compline) ~ This is the "bedtime" hour of the Church's daily prayer and is ordinarily prayed just before retiring.

Office of Readings (Matins, Vigils) ~ This is the only hour which does not have a designated time. In the reforms of the Second Vatican Council it was determined that, because of the varied schedules of people today it would be better to leave to the the group or individual praying, the ability to establish the time for the praying of this meditative hour of reflection on Scripture and the writings of the great spiritual authors.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayer is not something we say by rote or routine. We are to pray direct to God and God alone. "Our Father ...).  When we read prayers written by others, it is religion but not prayer. Prayer is personal between God and the person doing the praying. Anything that comes between that personal relationship is wasted, kind of like the prayers of the Pharisees.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Our Father ...).  When we read prayers written by others, it is religion but not prayer.

first you cite The Lord's Prayer written by others as an example, then you state that we shouldn't recite the prayers of others.

i'm not sure I follow what you are saying.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mathew 18:20

For where two or three have gathered together in My name,
I am there in their midst.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to read, thanks!

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top