Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 6:17:23 PM EDT
So whats your personal religious backround? Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, ect...

Please Please Please!!! NO BASHING OTHERS IN THIS THREAD!!!

Me personally, raised kind of non denominational christian to put it best, but now proudly claim the title of Apostolic Pentecostal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Biblicist.

The Bible is the Word of God.

Denominations are unbiblical, and exist largely because of a misunderstanding of God's Word.

(hope that isn't a bash.    )

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Christian.

(I am a member of a local Southern Baptist church.)

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Biblicist.

Denominations are unbiblical, and exist largely because of a misunderstanding of God's Word.

Within Christianity, I usually view denominations as groups of people who practice their faith in somewhat different ways; often times emphasizing different aspects of worship as depicted in the Bible. Although the word "diversity" is used and abused, I view this "diversity" (i.e. different denonminations) within Christendom as a strength...I mean somebody needs to play the "loyal opposition" just to keep the pot stirred.    

It's hard for me to understand what you mean by "unbiblical".  Do you mean they have no biblical support? ...or that they are anti-biblical?

It would seem to me that groups of believers that were around at the time of Christ and the apostles would worship somewhat differently.  They had no Bible other than the Tanach (OT). Certainly Jewish Christians would worship differently than most gentile Christians given their different religious backgrounds of the day. So perhaps the roots of denominations were present even at this early time within Christianity.

Again, I don't see this as necessarily a bad thing.
----------------
My personal religious background: Christian Mutt (I usually pick Community Churches).
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Biblicist.

Point taken, I believe in the doctrine that my church teaches because I think it is as close as possible to what the apostles in early acts taught and what the bible teaches. But others do have different interpitations, I have no problem with that, as long as they are doing there best to obey the word God will honor them for that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Roman Catholic!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I was raised with no spiritual component in our family life.

I became a Christian at 26.

I've mainly attended charismatic, non-denominational churches.  My current church is a small congregation, spun off from a Baptist congregation.  Some young guys decided to start a church where they set aside everything except the Bible and can let God be God.

Doctrinally, I'm a pretty hardcore Reformed theology kind of guy with a Calvinist bent.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Lutheran (Missouri synod)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
interested observer
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Biblicist.

I worked witha  guy who called himself that.But like anyone we all fall under some tag or designation. Its not so much as a following butr a designation.

He was a hardcore Arminian premillenial dispensationalist. But of course he wouldnt admit it, but its exactly what his view was. So even though no one like to put themselves into a group, we are in one even if dont want to be.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Of course I want to put just Christian but that does not really pinpoint much. Every one will want to leave it at that as we should but as humans, unfortunately we are too divisional.

If I had to label myself for clarity

Reformed Baptist (London Confession 1689)
of course the Presbyterians object to our using the reformed tag. Calvinistic Baptists would be an accurate term. Think Charles Spurgeon (though he was kind of a dispensationalist.)
Amillenial
Partial Preterist

I was raised in an ungodly atheist family. I didnt become a Christian until about 8yrs ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Catholic

I was more impressed with Naples than I was with Rome, So I dropped the Roman from the Title
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#12]
NON PRACTICING CATHOLIC
edited<va-gunnut>
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lutheran (Missouri synod)

Ditto...kinda. Before I left California I was a member of a Lutheran church, Missouri Synod. Since moving to Ohio in January, I haven't even begun to find a church unfortunately. It's starting to bother me somewhat.

The differences in denominations is kind of interesting. So far, I have no doctrinal beefs with the Lutheran church. As for differences, I've noticed that they really dig their tradition. I imagine it seems quite ceremonial to somebody not used to it. I appreciated the lack of "entertainment" in the services, and was drawn to the reverence displayed by the congregation. I also happen to dig pipe organs, which are prevalent in Lutheran churches.

I took a confirmation class, and I had alot of questions about the various practices during the service - Things like recting the creed, alternating the reading of scripture back and forth with the pastor, etc. There was a purpose to it, but it was carefully explained that none of this was any sort of requirement for salvation, nor did the lack of such procedure in other churches indicate any wrongdoing on their part. Mostly, they just love their tradition.

I've attended many non-denominational churches. Some are fantastic, others border on the insane. If there's something nice to say about finding a denominational church, is that it makes finding a new church much easier. Heck, it makes attending a church on vacation a pleasant experience. I can attend any Missouri Synod church, and I know exactly what will be taught, and I know their doctrine. I don't have to ask a million questions or attend services for a few months to figure this out. It's kind of handy.

Still, I'm not necessarily married to the Lutheran church. If I find a non-denominational church around here that fits the bill, I'd be more than happy to continue attending. Heck, my former boss (a Biola graduate with a Masters in Apologetics) was a member of a non-denominational church that was, in a word, awesome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Baptist...........but i havent been to church in a long time
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Protestant.

No bashing, but it's funny I took a rash of crap for saying "Roman" Catholic once because
that is a disparaging term, but the Roman Catholics themselves think nothing of it.

Anyway, back to the fun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Raised Catholic.. still am Catholic and when asked that's what I answer. Catholic.

<--- gnostic Catholic

eh. You'd think that was an oxymoron, but it's not really.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Unitarian Universalist

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
WQSDFVGBNMJK,L./[';LKJHGFDASDFGHNJMK,L.

Damn cheap zippers

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Jewish

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I was raiswed a southern Babtist in the Bible Belt.

Now a proud Atheist.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Christian

- Protestant

-- Nazarene

--- The acceptance of Jesus and following the Word is the one sole source of salvation
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm Ignorant and apethetic..
ie, I don't know and don't care.

Wouldn't consider myself Agnostic or an Athiest, nor would I consider myself a religious man.

no, really. I have had a pretty open mind about religion. I was brought up without the need or being forced to go to church, so I chose not to.

My first wife's family is of a southern baptist flavor, and I had no issues with that.
My second wife's mom, dad, and one of her brother's is Mormon. Funny thing is I have issues with that.

My education and history has been involved in science and technology, so naturally I have been exposed to a great majority of "the natural and historical" perspective. Ie, creation vs evolution theorem.

my personal "beliefs" are of a natural way of thinking, as in the heavens and the earth are billions and billions of years old, not the 10 thousands of years old one would say the bible dates it as.

Does this make me a fool? No
Does this make me misguided, No
Does this make me, to quote ElCamino, "an athiest wacko", No

It makes me someone who does not believe in god, nor in creationism, but I may if its PROVEN to me.

Now in all sincerity, what does a religious person say or think, when science shows their theories on the natural wonder of deep space, the planets, etc... Distant galaxies, far larger than our own, the possibility of life elsewhere, etc.

please, no flames. I am just one of those types who does not believe on spec.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
interested observer

Freaken BRILLIANT

I am one of those too...Raised Catholic, but not practicing and don't believe in any ONE form of organized religion.
I do like to learn new things regarding faiths
(recently celebrated my first Sadir with my neighbors)
so I guess Novagator hit that one on the head for me!
I DO however like to discuss Theology, so I'll be a not-so-silent observer....
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Raised Southern Baptist and Nazarene (depending on my mother's mood at the time )

Now Roman Catholic.

(Out of us six kids, four are Catholic converts, one's Methodist and the other is an atheist.)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Raised Pentecostal.

I claim non-denominational, but I haven't attended church in a while. When I relocate, it would be good for me to have a home church again to meet new people in the community and to get back in touch with my spiritual side. I'm not a happy person, in general, and I think it's the result of being spiritually empty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Raised Methodist but never fit in.

Joined a Presbyterian church and now realize why i didn't fit in.

(PCA presbyterian, not the USA liberals)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
i formally apologize to the forum...sorry..
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Old School Primitive Baptist

Technically, a member of the "Church of Christ of the Primitive Baptist Faith and Order" - sometimes called "Hard Shell Baptists," thus my screen name.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Baptized (sprinkled?) early while my grandparents belonged to an Episcopalian church.

"Accepted" Jesus as my "personal savior"@ age 4 (several times ) while my parents attended a non-denominational premillenial dispensational church.

Baptized (dunked) while attending a legalistic premillenial dispensational baptist church in High School.

Started questioning my own faith while attending a legalistic premillenial dispensational baptist college (Liberty University, Jerry Fallwell's place).

Variously attended churches run by everyone from Catholics, Lutherans, Messianic Jews, Pentecostals, to Evangelical Free folks for several years.

Right now, I don't attend a church building, and feel free enough to fellowship with whatever believers I find, whenever.  My personal studies have led me to "Systematic Theology" with a heavy leaning on the sufficiency of God's Sovereignty and Grace. In a nutshell, everything contained here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Roman Catholic
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Of course I want to put just Christian but that does not really pinpoint much. Every one will want to leave it at that as we should but as humans, unfortunately we are too divisional.

of course the Presbyterians object to our using the reformed tag. Calvinistic Baptists would be an accurate term. Think Charles Spurgeon (though he was kind of a dispensationalist.)
Amillenial
Partial Preterist

I was raised in an ungodly atheist family. I didnt become a Christian until about 8yrs ago.

Hey WildBoar, I had a hunch that you and I were on the same page.

However I just come right out and call myself a Reformed Baptist.

CLICK HERE FOR AN ANSWER TO THE NEXT QUESTION.

Note to garandman about denominations: I agree that denominations are not found in scripture.  However, it is very useful to know that I don't have to do an hour-long quiz with someone to know where  that person stands.  What a person believes that the bible teaches (doctrine) is very importent.  Faith has to have a defined object.  It's not enough to say "I believe the Bible."  The question is, what do you believe the Bible teaches about Who God is, who man is, and how can sinful man be reconciled to a Holy God.  Very often knowing a person's denomination will give a clue as to what kind of teaching they hear week by week (if any).  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amillenial
Partial Preterist

Hey WildBoar, I had a hunch that you and I were on the same page.

However I just come right out and call myself a Reformed Baptist.

CLICK HERE FOR AN ANSWER TO THE NEXT QUESTION.

My church

I call myself reformed baptist as well. I used to hang out on a board run mainly by Presbyterians and got ued to avoiding the term reformed because they seemed to get irritated about it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
interested observer

Freaken BRILLIANT

Nicely put.

Also in the "interested observer" category.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Acts 28:28 Dispensationalist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#38]
"God alone" Muslim, as opposed to Shia, Sunni, Sufi etc. (I follow only the Quran and not any of the post Quranic texts such as various Hadiths)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I was raised Baptist, but always felt what they were doing/teaching was wrong. My dad never spoke about religion, so I don't know what he believed, and my mom just believes in God and Jesus but doesn't actually know/understand much.
 After all that confusion, one day I was watching TV and saw someone who believed everything I'd always believed; Herbert W. Armstrong with the Worldwide Church of God.
 I'm in United Church of God now, which is an off-shoot from Worldwide. We keep the Sabbath, follow the edible foods listed in the OT, the annual Holy Days, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top