Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 7:46:46 PM EDT
I understand why this forum was created (too much bitching from people that say that this is a gun site and not a religious site, yet do nothing but talk about diesel pickups), but think the the exposure in GD was very useful in adding entertainment value to discussions.  Now nobody will be drawn into the fray without first seeking the arena.

Prediction:  The hard core Christans will not be as tolerant in this forum.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Several things -  

First - [popeye]I yam what I yam[/popeye]

Second, where do you get the idea Christianity has ANYTHING to do with tolerance??

Prediction: The "God is dead" trolls will be here very soo.......never mind, they are already here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Second, where do you get the idea Christianity has ANYTHING to do with tolerance??

Few religions do as they tend to narrow the mind rather than expand, but you've missed the point Popeye.

GD connotes a open environment that can not get any more open.  Specific forums imply that some posts and/or ideas don't belong.  How long will it take for one of you wise guys to petition goatboy that Athiests don't belong here, as it's a religion forum and they by default don't 'got religion'.

You are a perfect example, as how long did it take for you (even in jest) to ask who should be the 'preacher'.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
GD connotes a open environment that can not get any more open.  Specific forums imply that some posts and/or ideas don't belong.

Then we should  not have teh history forum, or the gamers forum, or the womens forum, or the training forum, or the survival forum, or....well, you get the idea.

How long will it take for one of you wise guys to petition goatboy that Athiests don't belong here, as it's a religion forum and they by default don't 'got religion'.

Well, you'll never hear it from me. THAT  I can assure you of.

You are a perfect example, as how long did it take for you (even in jest) to ask who should be the 'preacher'.  

Sand in your shorts again???   Relax, tarzan. "Chaplains" are to comfort the grieving and bury the dead.

And we ALREADY got a corpse (Nietzsche) floating around in here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This forum will fall apart quickly because participants will try to treat it like the Pit with a looser CoC, and unless the moderators move a boatload of posts, the threads in GD aren't going to decline in number.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mind having a distinct forum for religious discussion.  For some, it will make avoiding these types of discussions easier.  For others, finding the religious threads will be easier.  I see it as a big win for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I understand why this forum was created (too much bitching from people that say that this is a gun site and not a religious site, yet do nothing but talk about diesel pickups), but think the the exposure in GD was very useful in adding entertainment value to discussions.  Now nobody will be drawn into the fray without first seeking the arena.

Prediction: The hard core Christans will not be as tolerant in this forum.

Nor will I....and I hope the other non-Christians follow suit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well I kind of got it from a book I read called the New Testiment.

I guess that might have been one of the non-literal parts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
pecific forums imply that some posts and/or ideas don't belong.  How long will it take for one of you wise guys to petition goatboy that Athiests don't belong here, as it's a religion forum and they by default don't 'got religion'.

I'm an atheist and I'm a Unitarian Universalist.   Lots of atheists have religion, we just don't believe in God ;p

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I agree.

They are already discussing their preferences for Moderators and a Chaplain no less!

The usual disdain for Atheists has been shown also.

I hope that with the Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans , Muslims and Jews posting in this forum it will round things out a bit. [Sorry if I omitted anyone]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you understand why true Christianity is narrow? Because the way of salvation is narrow- the width of one Man- Christ. Now that does not mean that we who believe are to go around killing unbelievers but it also doesn't mean that we just have to sit back and accept unbeliefs and the consequences that go with them silently.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes well this forum is still included in the Active-Topic so I don't think we'll miss much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This forum will be fun for those who want to have polite discussions about religion. It won't be any fun for those who are looking to stir up shit in religous threads.

What gets me is that most of the people who stir stuff up in religion threads are usually the ones who are always dogmatically reasserting that they have no religious views.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well I kind of got it from a book I read called the New Testiment.

Are we talking about teh New testament that begins with Matthew and ends with Revelation?

Please cite chapter and verse where the NT teaches tolerance.

For starters, we could discuss where Jesus made a whip and drove the money changers out da temple, or where He said of the Pharisees "You are of your father the devil."

Or perhaps where Paul said of John Mark "he is unprofitable for the ministry."

Or if you have another verse we could discuss....

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
  43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven

It is one of the harder ones to live up to.

YOu are apparently confusing love with tolerance.

For instance, you love your son, right?

Would you "tolerate" him shooting heroin? NO, you love him too much to do that.

In the verses referenced in my above post, Paul and Christ both loved people too much to tolerate error or sin.

Love is very intolerant. And tolerance is in reality hatred.

No more powerful way to hate your child than to tolerate his wrong behaviour.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]
"Love is very intolerant. And tolerance is in reality hatred."

Wow. Did you lift that from 1984?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Love is very intolerant. And tolerance is in reality hatred."

Wow. Did you lift that from 1984?

Nah, I got it from 2005. July 26 to be exact.  

I made it up on the fly (as an amalgamation of various Scripture verses)

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Sad when people equate unconditional and complete acceptance of anything and everything with 'love'.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This forum will fall apart quickly because participants will try to treat it like the Pit with a looser CoC, and unless the moderators move a boatload of posts, the threads in GD aren't going to decline in number.

I think you greatly underestimate us.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#22]
DP,

I knew we'd see you in here!

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#23]
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...

....I'll come in again.

(Exit)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#24]
GET THE COMFY CHAIR!!!

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pecific forums imply that some posts and/or ideas don't belong.  How long will it take for one of you wise guys to petition goatboy that Athiests don't belong here, as it's a religion forum and they by default don't 'got religion'.

I'm an atheist and I'm a Unitarian Universalist.   Lots of atheists have religion, we just don't believe in God ;p

I actually voted Dino to be  mod. Its good to have balance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You guys crack me up sometimes.

Do you really believe Christianity spread by the sword or by locking its self in a cellar or that its only the religion for the chosen few?

I sometimes wonder poster's Hokie understand it better than those that claim they do.

Being intolerant of others beliefs and sending those folks off to post somewhere else would make this a heck of loney forum with ultimately two posters posting in it and that an arugument.

Tj  

Again, I think you misunderstand my position.

As defined today, "tolerance" is NEVER publicly disagreeing with anyone, or asserting tehy are in error in their beliefs, or living a sinful lifestyle.

Its is simply insane to assert the Bible promotes this type of tolerance.

My position is this -

I will tolerate ridicule, mocking belittling, scorn and whatever other rude behavior those who disagree with me might care to heap on me.

I will ENCOURAGE dissent, disagreement, and even rigorous debate. I have NO problem with atheists, non beleivers , skeptics, agnostics, hedonists, heathens, pagans, Celtics, Druids, and even the guys from teh Spanish Inquisition.

What I WILL NOT tolerate is people trying to tell me I cannot question their beliefs, or point out their errors from teh Bible, or tell them the Bible says they are living in sin.

THAT is the intolerant nature of Scripture. THAT is real love.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Several things -  

Prediction: The "God is dead" trolls will be here very soo.......never mind, they are already here.

Christianity is nothing but tolerance,the right to choose!!!!

Where do you get off thinking it's anything else????????????

You need to rethink your whole future cause as a preacher you suck!!!!!!!

You have no idea of what you speak!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Several things -  

Christianity is nothing but tolerance,the right to choose!!!!

Where do you get off thinking it's anything else????????????

You need to rethink your whole future cause as a preacher you suck!!!!!!!

You have no idea of what you speak!!!!

Bob

Bob -

All I'm saying is the Bible is VERY clear that sin is sin, and we are COMMANDED to tell people they are in sin when they are.

Modern day "toleance" forbids that. As such, CHristianity is NOT about tolerance.

But neither is it about forcing anyone to agree with you.

Christianity is about telling people the truth, at least once, whther or not they want to hear it, and then letting them make their own decisions about what to do with teh information.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Christianity is about telling people the truth

And what truth is that? Yours? Just because you believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God, complete and unerring, doesn't mean that anyone else does or should.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christianity is about telling people the truth

And what truth is that? Yours? Just because you believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God, complete and unerring, doesn't mean that anyone else does or should.

God's Word is the truth, whether or not I wish it to be so.

Or whether you wish it to be so. Or not.

I'm not foolish or arrogant enuf to think people will beleive it simply cuz I say it.

But whether or not people beleive is not my area of responsibility, either.

That is SOLELY between an individual  and God. My job is simply to state the truth - namely, that the Word of God is the very embodiment of truth.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top