Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 12:38:27 PM EDT
I was raised in nondenominational churches. Wife in southern babtist church. I cannot stand going to the judgmental babtist church she was raised in.

We went to a new church today. She didn't like it because they played modern music and people put their hands in the air to praise God.

Really people putting their hands in the air made you mad?

She also starts tear up talking about it.

Of all things to get bent out of shape about.

I'm tired of going to the judgemental babtist church.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just needed to vent I guess. Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Its about emotion, not logic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in MS are you?  And I'm not Southern Baptist, but having attended some in MS, I know that of which you speak.  Having attended some elsewhere, they are not all the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in MS are you?  And I'm not Southern Baptist, but having attended some in MS, I know that of which you speak.  Having attended some elsewhere, they are not all the same.
View Quote

This.

I grew up southern Baptist. Heck, we had a lesbian couple in the choir. Everyone sins, church is for sinners. Most Christians accept that and love anyways.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are at the top in Olive Branch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You have a ton of churches there and in Memphis then.  My in laws live there and attend services at some big EPC church in Memphis.  And they are Southern Baptists.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have a ton of churches there and in Memphis then.  My in laws live there and attend services at some big EPC church in Memphis.  And they are Southern Baptists.
View Quote

Yea there a couple churches with 30k plus members in Memphis. Not driving to Memphis.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of service do you like?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
It might have been a good idea to have discussed this before you married.

From the tone of your posts, I don't have high hopes for a resolution.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It might have been a good idea to have discussed this before you married.

From the tone of your posts, I don't have high hopes for a resolution.
View Quote

We've been together since 99 and have a 5 year old, we ain't going anywhere. We just need to find somewhere that we can both feel good that has a good base for our son.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was raised in nondenominational churches. Wife in southern babtist church. I cannot stand going to the judgmental babtist church she was raised in.

We went to a new church today. She didn't like it because they played modern music and people put their hands in the air to praise God.

View Quote

I'm with your wife on modern music and hands in the air.

What about trying an Anglican Church or does liturgy make you itchy?

There's one in your area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Try asking her where in scripture it says that church music can not be modern and has to be antiquated. I'm not saying that all modern church is great because some of it really sucks. The only things that sucks more is the old Celine Deon type Christian music from the 90s.

Al that really matters is that is preaching the gospel. There is a band I found called Relentless Flood that does an awesome job of this with a metal theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeloKijXWnY

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in the same situation to the T. Our little town finally passed beer/wine sales and you'd have thought the world was going to end. Guess who was the first ones in line to buy beer? The southern Baptist hypocritical Bible thumpers.  Power ball got to 1.3 billion and they were preaching how it's a sin to gamble and the lottery is gambling. But remember if you win, you better pay your 10% to the church.

My father in law questioned me about why I don't go to church. I said when the church as it stands today doesn't treat church as a business and stops being the biggest hypocritical organization in the area, I might consider it. Until then, I don't need a group of people who are party animals mon-sat then preach about morality on Sunday.

I know where I'm going when I die so I'm just as happy doing stuff around the house on Sunday and getting things done I can't during the week.

FWIW, I never even had a first dance with my wife. Because dancing is sacrilegious in a church.... Really???
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to come across as a dick but there's no other way, the music I get but the hands? Why do you care about someone lifting their hands towards God? I don't get that. I'm not even tbinking about that when at church.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not trying to come across as a dick but there's no other way, the music I get but the hands? Why do you care about someone lifting their hands towards God? I don't get that. I'm not even tbinking about that when at church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, I was raised Catholic and have been Orthodox for 12+ years. Worship is decorous. Hands in the air is something you do at a concert or a ballgame, IMO. I visited a friend in Louisiana and we went to her non-denom church. It was like a rock concert with an inspirational talk. I was thinking "What did I just experience?" when the service was over. Combine the modern music with the hand waiving and it seemed more like a concert than anything else I could compare it to. Add in songs where the woman singer sounds like she's propositioning Jesus and it's beyond weird.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First of all, I was raised Catholic and have been Orthodox for 12+ years. Worship is decorous. Hands in the air is something you do at a concert or a ballgame, IMO. I visited a friend in Louisiana and we went to her non-denom church. It was like a rock concert with an inspirational talk. I was thinking "What did I just experience?" when the service was over. Combine the modern music with the hand waiving and it seemed more like a concert than anything else I could compare it to. Add in songs where the woman singer sounds like she's propositioning Jesus and it's beyond weird.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never been to a Catholic Church but if it's anything like what I've seen on tv I can see how you would be shell shocked compared to the chants and Hail Marys.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I go to THE baptist church, and it's not judgemental at all. I mean, I judge people because I am a dick, but yea, thats really it. Sometimes my wife will because people wear stupid shit, but yea thats it. Well also, my dad gets mad if people wear shorts to church or a hat. Thats really it.

My mom likes to make fun of some of the choir people every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking the same thing after I listen to the mind numbing music that's so boring and so horribly out of tune. I end up counting ceiling tiles or wonder how many of the drop down ceiling microphones I can hit with my pistol from where I'm sitting. I even attempted to count the little Dimond pattern in the pew cushions one day. After figuring out how many were in each square foot, I then proceeded to try and figure out the entire pew. My mind went stupid at like 17,000.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm thinking the same thing after I listen to the mind numbing music that's so boring and so horribly out of tune. I end up counting ceiling tiles or wonder how many of the drop down ceiling microphones I can hit with my pistol from where I'm sitting. I even attempted to count the little Dimond pattern in the pew cushions one day. After figuring out how many were in each square foot, I then proceeded to try and figure out the entire pew. My mind went stupid at like 17,000.
View Quote

I'm in the choir at my parish, and I'm very particular about church music. It's hard to describe Orthodox chant to someone who has never heard it, but it would be easiest to describe it as very traditional. Very classical-type music sounding. Closest equivalent is Gregorian chant, but it's all in English. "Modern" music in church is ugh. It's not worship to me. I experienced a few "guitar Masses" while growing up. Yikes!

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
In my experience...SBC, while being for the most part, true to the gospel, have taken a turn towards emotionalism.  Hands in the air, rock bands etc.  Some people are trying to fix this.  Try a PCA church.  Maybe more litergy than you are used to, but usually you won't see the hands. And they usually stick to hymns..
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm in the choir at my parish, and I'm very particular about church music. It's hard to describe Orthodox chant to someone who has never heard it, but it would be easiest to describe it as very traditional. Very classical-type music sounding. Closest equivalent is Gregorian chant, but it's all in English. "Modern" music in church is ugh. It's not worship to me. I experienced a few "guitar Masses" while growing up. Yikes!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess each his own. If I had to sit through that, I'd pull my hair out. I find nothing wrong with upbeat music and I don't find anything wrong with traditional singing from a book style either bit it's not my choice if I had to sit and listen to it.  The music is the least of my worries as it's the hypocrisy of the people singing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS, our SB plays modern music and people put their hands in the air. Also, EVERYBODY is welcomed...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

In my experience...SBC, while being for the most part, true to the gospel, have taken a turn towards emotionalism.  Hands in the air, rock bands etc.  Some people are trying to fix this.  Try a PCA church.  Maybe more litergy than you are used to, but usually you won't see the hands. And they usually stick to hymns..
View Quote
I'm more worried about the SBC cutting missionaries to fund political campaigns, as well as tolerating pastors like Rick Warren and Paul Washer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Is Rick warren a member of the SBC?  I personally don't know anything about him, besides the fact that he spouts garbage.  But, like I said the SBC is not really a defining, set in stone church.  MOST of them at least get the essentials correct, where they all differ is the style of worship and style of preaching.  But I think that's true of any group.  The United Methodist for instance are one of the most liberal groups out there, but I have heard that there are a small number of churches that are conservative that are trying to reform that denomination.

Edit.  Just looked..he is SBC according to Wikipedia.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based upon my experiences looking for churches in the 2 times I have moved since I became a Christian 8 years ago what I have seen is that only about 40-50% of the churches (any type or denom) actually understand the gospel. Some are blatant heretics preaching things contrary to scripture, others are offering nothing more than motivational speaking with very little or no scripture and are not really developing people in their faith.

Others create all kinds of legalisms of things that are not in the bible or take things that are in the bible and add to them. I grew up Catholic and saw this get taken to the extreme. Now that I became a Christian as an adult and have actually read the bible I see how far off the mark the catholic church is.

It doesn't seem to matter if a church is a certain denomination or non denominational, whether they play old pipe organ music, have a full symphony orchestra or play modern rock worship. Some of the most faithful churches have old music, some play new music, some have orchestras.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Never been to a Catholic Church but if it's anything like what I've seen on tv I can see how you would be shell shocked compared to the chants and Hail Marys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Based upon my experiences looking for churches in the 2 times I have moved since I became a Christian 8 years ago what I have seen is that only about 40-50% of the churches (any type or denom) actually understand the gospel. Some are blatant heretics preaching things contrary to scripture, others are offering nothing more than motivational speaking with very little or no scripture and are not really developing people in their faith.

Others create all kinds of legalisms of things that are not in the bible or take things that are in the bible and add to them. I grew up Catholic and saw this get taken to the extreme. Now that I became a Christian as an adult and have actually read the bible I see how far off the mark the catholic church is.

It doesn't seem to matter if a church is a certain denomination or non denominational, whether they play old pipe organ music, have a full symphony orchestra or play modern rock worship. Some of the most faithful churches have old music, some play new music, some have orchestras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have grown up Catholic, but you clearly did not understand it. I would love to see a list of these 'extreme' additions.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
sigh... some of the comments.
Judgemental baptists....

Hand waiving

music...
Seems to me the thing you are missing is God in all of this.
That is where you need to start. Pray. Ask God to guide you to where HE wants you. Start there because you can't go wrong that way.
Then you need to take a HARD look at your relationship with God. As the head of the family you are responsible for the spiritual welfare of your family. That means you need to have a candid and calm discussion about

what your wife's need are as well.
People in all churches are judgemental.. case in point.. I just ran into a member of our church, I sang at her wedding for free, was there for baptisms etc.. I said hi to her and she literally turned the other direction.. then turned back to tell me what a horrible mother and parishioner I am.  
I don't go to church for the people. I don't go to get something from it. I go to give to God. I don't care what others are wearing, I don't care who is singing (sometimes that is challenging) I am there for mass and to give to God.  

I don't care what people think or pay attention to what they are doing.  It's not about any of that. Its about me and God.
Find somewhere that you can be about YOU and GOD and it shouldn't be about what the people are doing or what kind of musical production is going on. (but keep in mind people putting on a production instead of providing for their sheep are there  for their own glory and less for Gods)

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Judgemental baptists....
Hand waiving
music...

That is where you need to start. Pray. Ask God to guide you to where HE wants you. Start there because you can't go wrong that way.

Then you need to take a HARD look at your relationship with God. As the head of the family you are responsible for the spiritual welfare of your family. That means you need to have a candid and calm discussion about

People in all churches are judgemental.. case in point.. I just ran into a member of our church, I sang at her wedding for free, was there for baptisms etc.. I said hi to her and she literally turned the other direction.. then turned back to tell me what a horrible mother and parishioner I am.  

I don't go to church for the people. I don't go to get something from it. I go to give to God. I don't care what others are wearing, I don't care who is singing (sometimes that is challenging) I am there for mass and to give to God.  
I don't care what people think or pay attention to what they are doing.  It's not about any of that. Its about me and God.

Find somewhere that you can be about YOU and GOD and it shouldn't be about what the people are doing or what kind of musical production is going on. (but keep in mind people putting on a production instead of providing for their sheep are there  for their own glory and less for Gods)

View Quote

I agree.  What I am saying is that the service should be a worship service.  It is about worshiping God.  Not for feeling good, not for learning( I'm sure I'll get some slack for that). Not for having the mothers stand up on Mother's Day, not for recognizing veterans on Veterans Day.  100% about worshiping God.  Lots of services these days try to make it fun, or attractive to non believers.  That's not what we should be doing.  We should be Worshiping God.  Yes we should try to bring unbelievers in, but not by compromising and making a feel good service with a light show and watered down word.  I don't think God cares if someone wears flip flops and shorts.  But personally I will not, because I feel I am disrespecting God to dress more casually for worship than I do for my job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You may have grown up Catholic, but you clearly did not understand it. I would love to see a list of these 'extreme' additions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the sake of not hijacking the OPs thread more than it already is, start another thread and I would be glad to talk about it there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I agree.  What I am saying is that the service should be a worship service.  It is about worshiping God.  Not for feeling good, not for learning( I'm sure I'll get some slack for that). Not for having the mothers stand up on Mother's Day, not for recognizing veterans on Veterans Day.  100% about worshiping God.  Lots of services these days try to make it fun, or attractive to non believers.  That's not what we should be doing.  We should be Worshiping God.  Yes we should try to bring unbelievers in, but not by compromising and making a feel good service with a light show and watered down word.  I don't think God cares if someone wears flip flops and shorts.  But personally I will not, because I feel I am disrespecting God to dress more casually for worship than I do for my job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Judgemental baptists....

Hand waiving

music...

Well said. Both.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

For the sake of not hijacking the OPs thread more than it already is, start another thread and I would be glad to talk about it there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I grew up southern bap. Husband grew up presbyterian. We butted heads. But after so many years you change. You grow up. We now go to a presbyterian church. By this time it was my choice. I love it. If you have any questions I'm open. I've been there before. I thought I was suppose to be at a certain place and would not even think about a different church
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top