Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 7:14:45 PM EDT
Was listening to some bible discourse this weekend and this passage from Ezekiel 22 (Which I've read/heard before but didn't recall) grabbed my ear:

"I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one. So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign Lord.”

View Quote

This chapter deals with Judgement against Jerusalem.  And it draws to mind a parallel with Genesis 18 where Abraham does just as described here:
Then the Lord said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord. Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare[/sup] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? [sup][/sup]Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

The Lord said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?”

"If I find forty-five there,” he said, "I will not destroy it.”

Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?”

He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”

He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there.”

Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”

He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”

He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”

When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

Point to ponder: How many events in world history and in our lives is God looking for one person to stand up and intercede for mercy, to stand up and meet God and stand in the way saying "please, do otherwise"?  
I tend to be very "Thy will be done", but I do stop to add "But if it's all the same to you, would you consider..." from time to time.  Anyone else?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I am the same way with intercessory prayer. I have to ask the Lord to be mercyful on me all the time too. God is mercyful on us all,  if it weren't so we would have ceased to be a Nation long ago. The Spirit of Sodom and Gomorrah vex us all but we do have the righteous Christians here too.  Christians aren't perfect either, but we are forgiven.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Great post crux!  And I agree with you jasoncopman. Intercessory prayer is necessary on the large and small scale. Large being our country and its leaders, small being our church and its leaders.
As jasoncopman pointed out, there's no telling where we would be without those petitions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me tack on an additional thought.  It should be remembered that it matters if the form of the appeal is in accordance with God's nature of love and justice.

The story of Jonah came to mind where a human appeal for the lord to NOT have mercy was denied because it was contrary to God's nature.  Other times a Judgement is carried out because something must be fullfilled whateve appeals are made to the contrary, case in point being the death of David's son by Uriah's wife in consequence for David's murder of Uriah.

Nevertheless David prayed on, and I suppose we do also out of hope, for the alternative is to surrender hope and perhaps, surrender forebearance and mercy where God will grant it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me tack on an additional thought.  It should be remembered that it matters if the form of the appeal is in accordance with God's nature of love and justice.

The story of Jonah came to mind where a human appeal for the lord to NOT have mercy was denied because it was contrary to God's nature.  Other times a Judgement is carried out because something must be fullfilled whateve appeals are made to the contrary, case in point being the death of David's son by Uriah's wife in consequence for David's murder of Uriah.

Nevertheless David prayed on, and I suppose we do also out of hope, for the alternative is to surrender hope and perhaps, surrender forebearance and mercy where God will grant it.
View Quote

Brother,  

There are several ways that we might rationalize the ways that God deals with the creation, rather than the ways that the creation can and will attempt to understand their God, especially in ways that He is known personally to deal with us.

Now, one possible point of interest here is that we, as uniquely created human beings above and beyond all other creations is that, do we really have a free-will design residing within us, or, because of the overt sin nature in us,or are we just hearing false pings on our radars, or because of what our own senses comunicate to us remembering that God does not possess any of these faulty, or worldly attributes, or shortcomings as we do.

But, this one thing should make sense to us, and that is knowing that God is an all-knowing God and is surprised at nothing that has, or that ever will occurr under the sun, even when it occurrs by God's own hand when it refuses to shine on us and the all of creation, no longer.

And this would be any event, occurrance, or circumstance under the sun.

And again here, no matter what we do is regulated and governed by God's spiritual law directed toward that all of creation which cannot be altered by mankind; no matter what the creation might decide by a process to carry out either for God in ignorance, or likewise against God in ignorance also.

Only the Spirit of God can maintain anything that we might consider to be near perfection in our lives which in part has to do with how it is that we can accurrately deal with Him, because He is perfect and we are not on most all fronts, except that spiritual part of us which is graciously connected to the gracious and wonderful part of Him!

Thanks,

SAE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top