Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2011 8:47:15 PM EDT
Any have the readers digest version of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians? What are they actually fighting about?

I've read books but they all argue one point or another but never seem to address the underlying main issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Wikipedia's fairly unbiased on the issue.  Go there and explore the history, from the earliest records of humanity in that region to the present.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they both claimed the same land as their religious holy land and they think they should kill each other off over it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It started with Isaac and Ishmael.

It's been pretty much downhill from there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It started with Isaac and Ishmael.

It's been pretty much downhill from there.

This

Ishmael was Abraham's first born. He was Hagar's son, who was Sarah's housekeeper. That was all fine and good until Sarah had Isaac. Then she didn't want Ishmael around any more and they dumped them both.
Hagar was promised by God, that Ishmael, too would father many nations.
Arabs believe that they are the descendants of Ishmael and that the birthright was stolen from them.They see Jews as deceitful, lairs and thieves. They believe they should receive the promise of the Holy land made by God to Abraham.

The modern fighting is just the continuation of an old fight between half brothers, It will never end, It's my belief that Jesus will come and reign on Earth for 1000 years in the future. He will sit as the King of the Jews, on a Jewish throne, as the successor to David.
I do not believe it will be paradise on Earth. I think there will be rebellion and suppression, during the entire reign. That is why we are told there will be an uprising at the end of 1000 years.
In other words, Even Jesus himself won't be able to end this fight.So when people like Bill Clinton think they can end it, I just smile and wait for the next eruption.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
A fair-sized portion of the 20th century onward's hate and discontent can be laid at the dealings the British had with that region in the early 20th century. Double-dealings and what not. Check out things like the Balfour Declaration, subsequent White Paper, etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Wikipedia has a pretty good break down and it doesn't go back thousands of years. I read a number of books on the issue and the Palestinians of today are not chanting their great grandfather x20 was killed by an Israelite 2000 years ago. Seems more about water rights, land ownership and self rule.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wikipedia has a pretty good break down and it doesn't go back thousands of years. I read a number of books on the issue and the Palestinians of today are not chanting their great grandfather x20 was killed by an Israelite 2000 years ago. Seems more about water rights, land ownership and self rule.

Well, as i understand it, the Palestinians of today have their own roots which go back to the Philistine people of ancient times.

Those, being the Philistine people,  a traditional enemy of the Israelites of long ago, and certainly an enemy currently in the traditional sense of the Israeli people of today.

Thanks,

SAE

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
"Palestinian" is derived from "Philistine" but the people aren't related. The ancient Philistines were not Semitic but the modern Palestinians are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top