Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2010 2:05:01 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any free or affordable Bible study guides? Possibly a website or two that lays it out in weekly sessions? I would like to supplement with some study courses. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are some great sights.

Bible Study

Today in The Word

For some great free sermons and Q&A sorted by topic:

Grace to you

Mars Hill

Unlocking the BIble

Check em out!

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#3]
http://haydock1859.tripod.com/  

This one is interesting, a Catholic Bible commentary from 1859.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Colin is great!

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, have you ever used a journal method?

I only ask because I find that Journalling through the bible is IMHO the best way to study and to get to really know the Lord for yourself.
I feel it keeps you from being steered by someone else's beliefs and lets the Holy Spirit reveal truth to you. It is very intimate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, have you ever used a journal method?

I only ask because I find that Journalling through the bible is IMHO the best way to study and to get to really know the Lord for yourself.
I feel it keeps you from being steered by someone else's beliefs and lets the Holy Spirit reveal truth to you. It is very intimate.

What does one do when journaling through the bible?
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Good point Bears,
sometime I think we can get so "into" great teaching by other men that simply spending time in Gods Word for ourselves gets second place.
Sound Doctrine is important....but so is just some simple time in Gods Word with a note pad and pen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Could someone explain the journaling method?

Some times I'm a little slow.

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could someone explain the journaling method?
Some times I'm a little slow.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Sounds like an active way to get engaged.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Journalling through the Bible can be as in depth or as light as you want it to be.

The light version is to read a chapter of scripture and write in a journal a summary of what you just read. This keeps your mind engaged while reading the text looking for the meaning and overall point of the text.

The deeper version is to do the same, but then also journal about each individual idea in each chapter. You may find that there is more in the text than you originally thought and writing it down causes meditation to take place on each individual idea, and best of all, it is in context.

The deeper yet study would be arcing or phrasing. Some people do both.

Arcing PDF

Phrasing is easier.

Steps for Phrasing:
  (1) Find the beginning and end of the passage and give it a heading
  (2) Break the passage into smaller sections
  (3) Identify the phrases (i.e. propositions, assertions)
  (4) Identify the main phrase(s) and the modifying phrases
       - Place main phrases (subject + verb) to the far left of the page
       - Indent modifying phrases under the words they modify (e.g. a
           prepositional phrase would be indented under the verb)
       - Tip: Pay special attention to the conjunctions (i.e. connecting words, like
           therefore, because, that, but), which will be guides for you to follow the
           author’s thought
  (5) Reflect on your findings

ETA: I have found the deeper version of journaling to be so helpful that I have written in the front of my Bible to "Read with pen in hand". It is absolutely astonishing the difference it makes when you write your own commentary on what you are reading.

God bless, and make sure you pray before you start!
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Bearsfan!

I was given a study Bible recently and have started to read it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It is also essential to keep in mind when a certain book of the Bible was written and who wrote it. Was the author a Jew? Who was the author speaking to? Does it pertain to everyone or just the Jews?
The books of the Bible are not in order as to the date written. Maybe take some time and get familiar with time lines.
Great advice - I should be so good as to follow it better.
:) Don
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
oh yes, "Grace To You" - John McArthur - very awesome and right on the money.
If you like audio, try www.oneplace.com
They have TONS of Christian teachers to choose from. You can find most any Christian radio station archived there.
Don
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks yall for all the good info!
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the most interesting things I ever did was to "study" the bible by listening to it on CD-ROM MP3 audio. From start to finish. Some of this, I did on my commute.

When going to church, I had often recently heard the scripture in full context, that was being taught. Repetition is the best teacher and I found myself very well versed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of the most interesting things I ever did was to "study" the bible by listening to it on CD-ROM MP3 audio. From start to finish. Some of this, I did on my commute.

When going to church, I had often recently heard the scripture in full context, that was being taught. Repetition is the best teacher and I found myself very well versed.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top