Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 7:32:52 PM EDT
[orange]I have a 94 Probe 5 speed manual transmission...and its broken
I was driving down I 35 and I went to speed up pressed on the clutch, put it in 5th gear and stepped on the gas, but it didnt accelerate it just kinda putted along to a complete stop...and then died, i finally got it cranked after a couple of turn overs, but it still wouldnt go anywhere, i could put it in a gear, release the clutch and it would continue to run, it wouldnt die.

Now I have heard from every idiot that wants to get in my pants
Some say i blew out my transmission
Some say I burnt out my clutch
Some say somethiing about an axel or something...

Damsel in distress is not my favorite role so I need a couple of answers and the prices of what it will cost me to fix whatever ends up being wrong with it. I dont want to get taken advantage of just because I am a woman....

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You haven't posted anywhere near enough information to even make a guess at what is wrong with your car.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
edit
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna say that you have a broken clutch fork or a worn out clutch. It's impossible to tell which you'll need until the trans is separated from the block. If you broke a fork, then I'd recommend a fresh clutch kit while you're in there anyway.

If the fork isn't broken, then you'll need a new clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel resurfacing service and throwout
bearing. It will cost a few hundred dollars if you have someone else do
it and probably about $180-250 if you get the parts and have a machine
shop turn the flywheel then finish the job yourself.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
it defiantly sounds like a clutch. if the clutch was still good and it was something else the motor would die when you put it in gear.

where is the vehicle? did you have it towed home or to a shop?

id also post in the texas home town forum to see if there is a good mechanic in your area. specifically a transmission mechanic.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#6]
if it was the clutch you'd smell it burning
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if it was the clutch you'd smell it burning

also, if the clutch was toast, the engine RPM would increase when you push the gas in without the car's speed increasing.  so were you able to actually get it started and running again, or is it just dead?  i was thinking your battery/alternator may have died if your car just puttered to a stop and died.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
hard to say what it is without  looking at it, but I have known several people to break input shafts in those transmissions

any abnormal noise? abnormal smells?  does it even try to move if you rev up the engine in gear? clutch pedal feel normal?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top