Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:16:32 AM EDT
I got Motorcraft replacement plugs for my Crown vic and was replacing them one at a time like I have done on every vehicle. I matched up one wire at a time by size and am almost done. Two of the three wires I have left are way to long for where they go Looks like the replacement set is longer than the original.. What do I do now?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut them down...If you think you must...you don't have to, but it does look nicer.

You did not mention what was wrong with "one of the three" wires you have left??? Too short?

You can also buy individual wires from NAPA.

Be glad you didn't get a set that is too short.

If you want to use the ones you already have...do this:

Inside the wire jacket is a stranded core of some type of carbon/graphite. Cut the length of your new wire to about an inch longer than your old wire.

BE CAREFUL OF WHICH END YOU CUT, AS THERE MIGHT BE DIFFERENT BOOTS ON EACH END!!!!

Ok, pull off the boot on the short piece you just cut off, then carefully uncrimp the metal piece that was inside it.

Take some soapy water, and use it as lube...install the boot [you just removed] onto the wire that is now 1" longer than the original.

CAERFULLY remove 3/4" of ONLY the jacket from your new wire...Do not cut-off the core wire.

Wrap the core wire back over the wire jacket.

Carefully crimp the metal retainer around the core wire and the wire jacket.

Slide the boot back over the metal retainer...and install it on your car...then go to the next one!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of times aftermarket wires are longer.
You can just use seperators and keep them off the manifolds or
you could cut them down. Practice on the old ones first.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top