Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 6:35:16 PM EDT
I have a 1989 Suburban 4x4, and when I was turning into my driveway the truck jumped, made a sound like it had been hit with a hammer, the brake pedal dropped almost to floor and the braking ability dropped to maybe 25% of normal.  (I'm glad our driveway has room for a bit of extra driving, and also that this didn't happen out in traffic). Any ideas on what happened?
tia
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Blew out the brake booster. [the round thing behind the master cylinder.]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That's kind of a bolt on deal isn't it? It sounds better than the broken caliper I was imagining. (I'm no mechanic at all).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Or the master cylinder.

I did it once at the bottom of a hill in my Caprice.
Talk about a hard stop.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a master cylinder go out on me before.  It went out on Christmas eve in the 84 Bronco, also there was the lovely white stuff out.  I had presents to open the next day, so nearly 2 hours later I made it home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top