Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:05:08 AM EDT
Am look at to buy a 1990 Hurricane Deck Boat w/ the OMC / Ford 351 V8 engine.
Motor cranked up fine and sounds strong , am going to water test it this afternoon.

Is this motor GTG for a 20 ft boat?  Owner said it will run wide open in the 50mph range.
I do not need or plan to run wide open , just want to pull the kids around on skis and floats.

How about the fuel mileage? I understand wide open it is poor , but how about again just pulling the kids at lower speeds?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
That should be a 351 Windsor. The Windsor has been a solid marine performer for years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That should be a 351 Windsor. The Windsor has been a solid marine performer for years.

This, Should be GTG.

It's a BOAT. don't expect fuel mileage...
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How about the fuel mileage? I understand wide open it is poor , but how about again just pulling the kids at lower speeds?

Fuel mileage will be not too bad if you take it easy. As for pulling people on ski's, the 351W is one of the most commonly used engines in ski boats by Mastercraft, American Skiier, Ski Nautique, etc. ..   You won't be lacking for power.  Boats aren't fuel efficient, no matter what engine..
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
351 is VERY good to go on the water.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, what the 350 chevy is to the hotrod community, the 351w is to the water world.  Good engine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it raw water cooled?....Ever seen salt water?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top