Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2009 7:21:28 PM EDT
hey guys thinking about getting a 4x4. Been leaning towards a 4cyl extra cab toyota tacoma with the sr5 package cause its a 4x4, gets good gas mileage, and you know it will run forever.

anyone else got any suggestions for the same price range?

fuel economy is a big part of the decision for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 2.7 4cyl Tacoma 4x4 and it was a great truck.  Those engines are bullet proof.  Mine got me 23 mpg regularly with a 5 speed and mud tires.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
what year was it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Used Toyota.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
im thinking about going new just because it doesnt save you a ton of money going used. maybe only like a couple thousand bucks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what year was it?

It was a 2004 regular cab.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
4x4?  Truck, SUV, AWD car?  Need more information about vehicles intended usage, current driving habits, etc...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Jeep all the way...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]
You could also pick up a nice older Bronco. They are good competition for the Jeep. Some say they are better, however, I dunno 'bout that. Each has it's strong point. Here in NJ, before the enviro-nazi's closed off the pine barrens to off road vehicles, the Bronco was known to be an excellent off road vehicle. A few friends had them, they did quite well.

Franklin
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
it will be used in new england winters as well as beach driving as a i live on a small island durring the summer.

truck or SUV is what im looking for.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Taco or a Wrangler are your two best bets.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The Jeep wrangler is the best 4x4 you can buy in that price range.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
it will be used in new england winters as well as beach driving as a i live on a small island durring the summer.

truck or SUV is what im looking for.

Do any hunting? if so I would get a pickup

but if you don't your needs scream for a Jeep TJ
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I hunt in my jeep all the time?

What are you taking hunting? 30 days worth of supplies?  

You just need to pack like a man, and leave the hair dryer at home...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
after driving my brother's wrangler I love it but heres the problem

absolute whore on gas

no room to put anything.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm looking at access cab Tacomas, and as soon as you add 4x4 or V6 you get well into the mid-20's.  I'm going with a 4x2 2.7L if all goes well this week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
i've been quote at 21.5 for one now with 4x4 access cab and sr5.

19.9 without sr5

sooooo wait till leftovers and deals will get better.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hunt in my jeep all the time?

What are you taking hunting? 30 days worth of supplies?  

You just need to pack like a man, and leave the hair dryer at home...

I never said you couldn't hunt out of a jeep. I just prefer to have a pickup when I hunt because it is easier (for me) to load a dead animal in the bed of a truck as opposed to loading a dead animal into or on an SUV.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

Agreed, however I just picked up a 2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4 Crew cab with 15,000 for 20K>  So far, Great truck.  Fuel mileage could be a little better but not bad for the power it makes.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Subaru Forester.

Or spend more and buy an 09 F150
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Great gas mileage?  You haven't driven one very much have you.  For $20K you can get a similar UAW product (tacomas are indeed UAW built) but from a domestic supplier like Ford in a full size and have a V8 without a composite bed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]
theres no way a v8 f150 is gonna get the mileage of a 4cyl tacoma. unless im wrong....
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
theres no way a v8 f150 is gonna get the mileage of a 4cyl tacoma. unless im wrong....

Moot point for several reasons

1 a toyota will be well over 20K. 4x4 4banger toyotas are rare as hens teeth now, triply so for the extended cab.

This means you'll likely be special ordering a toyota AKA paying full sticker price. I personally have not seen a extended cab 4x4 4cyl toyota newer than 20yrs old

2 contrary to popular belief MODERN compact pickups aren't particularly efficient. These bloated overweight mini trucks only LOOK fuel efficient. Compact trucks haven't seen any of the recent advances in technology their full sized cousins have seen over the past few years is one of the main reasons why.

The 4cyl 5 speed 09 Toyota is only rated for 3 more MPG by the EPA vs a 4x4 automatic 300hp V8 powered Ford or Chevy full sized. Just because it's small cramped and has a 4cyl DOES NOT automatically mean good MPG

I don't understand why folks buy these things over a full sized, They're just as expensive, the have no room whatsoever, they pretty much get just as bad mileage AND the have no power.

I want to know have you owned a truck before?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The 5 speed Tacos have plenty of power, not compared to a diesel..mind you, but they'll still squeal the tires.

The smaller trucks excel in 4x4 situations that a fullsize pickup just doesn't do well in at all(Well, a Taco does...Dakota/Ranger/Colorado notsomuch). I guess it depends on how much 4x4 capability you actually need....trails - taco/wrangler, muddy dirt road - fullsize.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup this is pretty much my take on it. My cousin's 1994 Ford Ranger got
1mpg better than our 1993 suburban did. Plus it was WAY smaller and couldn't tow half what
the suburban could.
As was said above, the new Ford 1/2 tons are rated at 21 MPG, and the tacos
are rated at like 23 MPG. Even if there was more difference in the gas milage, I would rather have the extra performance.
Compact pickups are for suckers.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Moot point for several reasons

1 a toyota will be well over 20K. 4x4 4banger toyotas are rare as hens teeth now, triply so for the extended cab.

This means you'll likely be special ordering a toyota AKA paying full sticker price. I personally have not seen a extended cab 4x4 4cyl toyota newer than 20yrs old

2 contrary to popular belief MODERN compact pickups aren't particularly efficient. These bloated overweight mini trucks only LOOK fuel efficient. Compact trucks haven't seen any of the recent advances in technology their full sized cousins have seen over the past few years is one of the main reasons why.

The 4cyl 5 speed 09 Toyota is only rated for 3 more MPG by the EPA vs a 4x4 automatic 300hp V8 powered Ford or Chevy full sized. Just because it's small cramped and has a 4cyl DOES NOT automatically mean good MPG

I don't understand why folks buy these things over a full sized, They're just as expensive, the have no room whatsoever, they pretty much get just as bad mileage AND the have no power.

I want to know have you owned a truck before?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#26]
certainly a solid arguement. for the fullsize.

i had a buddy who was able to get an 07 f150 stx for 23k plus 0% financing as leftover in sept  of 07. I would go for a deal like that if I could find one.

Like I said before I can get  the taco for way under sticker.

If the power was that weak I could easily upgrade to a v6 taco but for that kind of money I could just have a fullsize for what the v6 taco's are going for.

I'm used to a 2wd 4cyl s10 that easily gets 24 mpg. Nothing will ever be as slow as that truck but I do like the fuel economy of it which is why I wanna stick to a 4cyl
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
WHY????

A v6 4x4 Tacoma will likely get WORSE mileage than a v8 full sized.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WHY????

I don't know who is giving out this retarded information on the internet, but they need to go back to the 4th grade and practice division.

A 4x4 TRD:S double cab/ long bed compared to a 4.6 short box 2wd regular cab F150? Might be a shootout. Anything else is a bunch of horse shit in my experience. I really question the honesty of some people who post their insane mileage figures online, or maybe I need to be questioning their retarded math skills.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHY????

I don't know who is giving out this retarded information on the internet, but they need to go back to the 4th grade and practice division.

A 4x4 TRD:S double cab/ long bed compared to a 4.6 short box 2wd regular cab F150? Might be a shootout. Anything else is a bunch of horse shit in my experience. I really question the honesty of some people who post their insane mileage figures online, or maybe I need to be questioning their retarded math skills.

OR instead of talking shit out the side of your mouth you could go to fueleconomy.gov

a 09 V6 4x4 Taco with a stick is only rated for 16 MPG by the folks that come up with these figures

That's the SAME as a 4x4 Silverado with a 5.3 and a 6 speed auto

Ford is the same as well 4.6 with a 6 speed auto 4x4

even the 4x4 Hemi ram is rated for 15

One thing is for certain as evidenced by your reply and that's how mini truck owners are all universally total suckers and kool aid drinkers at the same time

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHY????

OR instead of talking shit out the side of your mouth you could go to fueleconomy.gov

You're right, a website run by the GOVERNMENT trumps my ability to record data and perform simple math. Sorry I stepped on your huge dick.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#31]
OK hotshot how much do YOU get from your v6 4x4 yota. In MIXED driving

Manufactuers are always striving to get the BEST mpg ratings they can from the EPA. Do you know some secret you should be sharing with Toyota I'm sure they'd love to up that number from 16 to 25

and yes my dick is rather large I once used it to club a baby seal to death
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I drive an '01 Taco, and an '07 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3.

Taco gets 16, Silverado gets about 14 with the way I drive them.

The 5.3 is more fun to drive, but the Taco gets used when we go fishing, or anything requiring any semblance of offroadability.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a 09 V6 4x4 Taco with a stick is only rated for 16 MPG by the folks that come up with these figures

That's the SAME as a 4x4 Silverado with a 5.3 and a 6 speed auto

Ford is the same as well 4.6 with a 6 speed auto 4x4

even the 4x4 Hemi ram is rated for 15

One thing is for certain as evidenced by your reply and that's how mini truck owners are all universally total suckers and kool aid drinkers at the same time

The Taco with an automatic is rated at 18mpg. I have an 07 Tacoma double cab with 32" tires and get 18mpg city or highway. Some of my other personal experiences in full size trucks:

2001 GMC Sierra extended cab with 4.8: 14mpg

2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with 8.1: 9mpg

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OK hotshot how much do YOU get from your v6 4x4 yota. In MIXED driving

Manufactuers are always striving to get the BEST mpg ratings they can from the EPA. Do you know some secret you should be sharing with Toyota I'm sure they'd love to up that number from 16 to 25

and yes my dick is rather large I once used it to club a baby seal to death

I wish I had a dick big enough to club a baby seal. Hell, I'd just love to club a baby seal without a large dick.

REAL #'s....

I don't see how any V6 yota is getting 16mpg without running larger tires. No way. You'd have to be at 6Krpm every chance you have. (about like my DD driving style)

My 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V-6 5spd (plenty of power for this little thing) averaged 19MPG 50/50 city/freeway. This was BEFORE 33's. After 33's and NOT re-gearing I averaged horrible (14-15). But I do NOT factor in the tire size difference and I hammer on the fucking thing.

My wife's 2003 Toyota 4-runner Auto w/ V6 (again, PLENTY of power) averages 20-21+ freeway LOADED and with her non-lead foot unloaded 19mpg at LEAST in town. This is WITH 32's (FJ wheels/tires)

My 2006 4.0 6spd Tacoma w/ 33's is getting about 15 - 50/50 and again, that's putting my foot into it, and NOT re-geared. Oh - and yes, plenty of power there as well.

oh - and to the OP. Don't forget about RESALE #'s.....and don't forget about your other large factor
and you know it will run forever.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I vote for a new Tundra. Test drive one, and you won't want anything else.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WHY????

Because the Tacoma will have about 4 inches more ground clearance, and better break-over angles, than the full-sized trucks that get the same gas mileage.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Compact pickups are for suckers.

That's just a stupid statement.

All 4x4 trucks are going to have crappy gas mileage. Sure, a full size truck is going to have more room and haul more shit. They will also have larger gas tanks (for long trips) and will be more comfortable for those long range trips.

On the flip side, all that extra size of the full size is a negative IMO anytime you don't have it loaded up (either around town or especially on trails). No full size truck can come close to competing off-road with a Tacoma 4x4 unless we are talking about deep mud and there is no question which one is going to last longer.

Like anything in life, figure out your needs\wants and buy accordingly. There is no "one" right answer. If you are looking for a daily driver\hauler that can do some light off road work, go full size. If you are looking for a capable off road vehicle that can be used as a daily driver (and last for a long time), get a Tacoma.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHY????

Because the Tacoma will have about 4 inches more ground clearance, and better break-over angles, than the full-sized trucks that get the same gas mileage.

And might actually fit down those hunting trails he was talking about.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would need a full size truck for a DD? Towing, a diesel maybe. I don't tow (except my boat which the Taco hauls without noticing). I drove my 98 tacoma for 3 years longer than expected because I didn't want to jump up to Toyota's new version of the Tacoma which was larger. My 98 Tacoma could barely fit down the trail to our hunting camp as it was. Let alone where we go camping every other weekend. And it actually fits in parking spots when I want it too.
Then we had our daughter and that's when I went to the 06 Taco. We just went camping memorial day and had just about took our whole dam'd house with us. The kid, the 90lb lab, the wife and I fit with way more than enough room. When the 2nd kid comes around, dog goes in the back and we still have room.
Only reason I'd go to full size is if I gained about 250 lbs. Hopefully that doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

<snip>

I don't see how any V6 yota is getting 16mpg without running larger tires. No way. You'd have to be at 6Krpm every chance you have. (about like my DD driving style)

My 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V-6 5spd (plenty of power for this little thing) averaged 19MPG 50/50 city/freeway. This was BEFORE 33's. After 33's and NOT re-gearing I averaged horrible (14-15). But I do NOT factor in the tire size difference and I hammer on the fucking thing.

My wife's 2003 Toyota 4-runner Auto w/ V6 (again, PLENTY of power) averages 20-21+ freeway LOADED and with her non-lead foot unloaded 19mpg at LEAST in town. This is WITH 32's (FJ wheels/tires)

My 2006 4.0 6spd Tacoma w/ 33's is getting about 15 - 50/50 and again, that's putting my foot into it, and NOT re-geared. Oh - and yes, plenty of power there as well.

oh - and to the OP. Don't forget about RESALE #'s.....and don't forget about your other large factor
and you know it will run forever.

My '08 4.0 V6 Acces cab manual trans 4x4 Taco with stock wheels/tires gets a mixed 18.6. Top end highway has been 23.1. Low end all city driving has been 15.5. I am not sure what the EPA is working with...

The 4.0 V6 Auto Tacos do better because their gear ratio is more suited to economy. My 6sp gears are very close, and start short. This is good for wheeling a manual but not necessary for everyday road use.

Why did I foolishly buy a Taco when I could have gotten a "better 4x4 fullsize for the same price point?" Lets see:

Although Minis are now bloated, they are still much smaller. Just stick my Taco next to an '08 Ram...
I only drive Manual trans. All the fullsizes with manuals were either 2wd only, base engine (and horrible mileage) only, or Diesel 3/4-1 tons.
I tow rarely if at all
Load in the bed rarely exceeds 600 pounds.
I was not keen on my truck losing 30% of its value as soon as it left the lot. Booking my Taco on KBB, it booked at higher than I paid when it left the lot. It still books at scarce less than I paid 13k miles ago.
The Tacoma line has a great reputation.

Also, I wheel my trucks regularly:

Tacoma weighed in at almost one ton less than the fullsize 4x4s
Fits on trails easier
Came stock with a rear e-locker. Can you get that on your $23,000 Ford?
HUGE aftermarket. Offroad worthy suspension lifts are far cheaper than raising that domestic. You have choices in offroad bumpers/sliders from folks like Allpro, ARB, Shrockworks, Revenge Fab, etc.

Here is my Taco stock right after I bought it, driving around the Huachuca Mountains down near the border in AZ.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Fits on trails easier
HUGE aftermarket. Offroad worthy suspension lifts are far cheaper than raising that domestic. You have choices in offroad bumpers/sliders from folks like Allpro, ARB, Shrockworks, Revenge Fab, etc.

All great reasons to choose a Jeep

LOL don't brag to me about your aftermarket or Lift choices or offroad ability. I'm a Jeep guy! By comparison your aftermarket is some village blacksmith making lifts out of wrought iron with a hammer and anvil.  On our last Saturday trail run the 90's  4runner had great difficulty maneuvering through the trail because it was simply too darn big and has the turning radius of a Surburban. Tight spots I simply drove through required 5 and 6 point turns for the 4 runner
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#41]
bear in mind im considering the 4cyl sr5 not v6. unless for some reason there was a rediculous price on the v6.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
bear in mind im considering the 4cyl sr5 not v6. unless for some reason there was a rediculous price on the v6.

My apologies, I digressed. My truck came in at a total of $23,460, so it does not fit. A 2.7L 5 spd 4x4 would come in under your ceiling. Check out the Tacoma World forums. The 4x4 2.7L access cabs are getting 23-24 highway stock while the regular cabs are doing 25 or so highway. Mixed I am not sure.

Krochus- Compared to a fullsize domestic pickup, which was the point of reference and what I cited in my response, yes, the aftermarket is immense. That is not bragging, it is fact. I would hardly call folks like ARB and Shrockworks backwoods blacksmiths. Jeep CJs do have an even larger aftermarket, I agree. They also have a great wheelbase for it and I envy the solid front axle. Hell, I think an early 80s CJ with the inline 6 and manual trans would make a great toy. I would, however, contend that the light 4x4 pickup is a far better all-around vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
yea the goal for me is a fuel efficient 4x4. and i know the 2.7 requires less maintenance.

Although thats a great price for a TRD offroad pack taco. Which I prolly would be willing to pay to be quite honest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't be afraid to go used.
I picked this up almost how it looks for 19K and a old G17.
excellent condition, 43Kmiles, V6, 6spd, 4x4 w/ sport packaged (LSD),  reliable after market parts from MFG's that aren't back-woods bugger-welders.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fits on trails easier

LOL don't brag to me about your aftermarket or Lift choices or offroad ability. I'm a Jeep guy! By comparison your aftermarket is some village blacksmith making lifts out of wrought iron with a hammer and anvil.  On our last Saturday trail run the 90's  4runner had great difficulty maneuvering through the trail because it was simply too darn big and has the turning radius of a Surburban. Tight spots I simply drove through required 5 and 6 point turns for the 4 runner

Except the part where you loose your ass on resale.
The OP has already stated he's looking for a pick-up; that's where the comments came about toyota vs full-size.
And the nice comment about toyota's are for suckers left a bad taste in a few's mouths.

Oh - and turning radius on a 2006+ jeep wrangler unlimited is 20.6'.  
The 2005+ Tacoma double cab is 20.0'.
You wheeling with a 90's runner doesn't de-grade toyota like you're trying to do.
I've wheeled with hundreds and hundreds of various vehicles, mostly jeeps an yotas. They all have their place. They all have a huge supply of aftermarket.
The 05+ Taco's are already running dual cases thanks to Inchworm.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fits on trails easier

Except the part where you loose your ass on resale.
The OP has already stated he's looking for a pick-up; that's where the comments came about toyota vs full-size.
And the nice comment about toyota's are for suckers left a bad taste in a few's mouths.

Oh - and turning radius on a 2006+ jeep wrangler unlimited is 20.6'.  
The 2005+ Tacoma double cab is 20.0'.
You wheeling with a 90's runner doesn't de-grade toyota like you're trying to do.
I've wheeled with hundreds and hundreds of various vehicles, mostly jeeps an yotas. They all have their place. They all have a huge supply of aftermarket.
The 05+ Taco's are already running dual cases thanks to Inchworm.

Are you kidding? resale is one of the best parts of the Jeep wrangler easily keeping up with or outpacing the toyota Tacoma.

Wrangler 11
Toyota 14

That's right the absolutely longest least manueravable Wrangler made pretty much matches the turning ability of the Taco. That's not really building your side up are ya

2door JK is only 17.5
Chevy suburban 21.5

L have nothing personal against Toyota but I'll be damned if all Toyota owners be it a 82 Cressida or an 09 Tundra they're all total kool aid drinkers and make Glock owners look positively open minded

Back to the OP

What kind of offroading do you REALLY need?

Because if what you have is a 360 day commuter and a 5 day trail rig I would like to suggest forgoing the added expense in fuel, maintenance and cost of a 4x4 and instead buy a much more fuel efficient 4x2 with a 4popper and a stick. Then spend 2 to 3k on a good used ATV for hunting that'll last you DECADES. Depending on where you hunt you may not need nearly much 4wd as you think. I spite of me owning a Jeep I used an Astro van with AT tires fro my huntin this past year. All the 4x4's discussed in this thread are much much more capable in the hands of a good driver than any one side in this thread portrays (myself included) but so are 2wd trucks with good tires and some form of traction improving diff out back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Are you kidding? resale is one of the best parts of the Jeep wrangler easily keeping up with or outpacing the toyota Tacoma.
Jeep as a brand is #8 on the worst-resale list. (Tacoma DOES beat out the wrangler in re-sale)

That's right the absolutely longest least manueravable Wrangler made pretty much matches the turning ability of the Taco. That's not really building your side up are ya
2door JK is only 17.5
Chevy suburban 21.5
LOL, I was comparing a 4-door to a 4-door. Not apples to oranges as you are. The 4x4 STD cab Tacoma is 17.2 and beats your Jeep if you really want to get technical.

L have nothing personal against Toyota but I'll be damned if all Toyota owners be it a 82 Cressida or an 09 Tundra they're all total kool aid drinkers and make Glock owners look positively open minded
This is the part that you don't get. You're wrong. I'm nearly positive you haven't owned a Toyota 4x4. You've seen a 90's runner get wheeled once and that's what your going off of.

Back to the OP -
I would recommend going and test driving the newer 4cyl 4x4 yotas.
I wold highly suggest against a 2wd. I don't know how many people I have met that have said "man I wish I woulda bought a 4wd".
That's from a large range of people from my neighbors I've had to take to the store and to work because of snow, to the guy at the beach a few weekends back at the other end of my tow strap.

Just my 2 cents. I'm done now thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#48]
yea for me its a commuter and a beach rig. I live in new england so we get the snow and i live on a small island with lots of driveable beaches and a dirtroad/trail to get to my house where 4x4 isn't neccesary but the additional ground clearance is.

could I get away with a 4x2? yea sure but im sick of my 2wd s10 thats 9 years old with 188k miles on it.

I'll never own another 4x2

of course I do love the gas mileage of the 2.2 in my s10.

anything I get will feel like a racecar in comparison to that truck...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#49]
This is the part that you don't get. You're wrong. I'm nearly positive you haven't owned a Toyota 4x4. You've seen a 90's runner get wheeled once and that's what your going off of.

Translation I cannot believe someone whohas owned, worked on and driven a Toyota doesn't think they're the only vehicle made.

That's the problem I do have lots and lots of experience with toyotas of various models. I just never found that tinkle in the eye magic that causes me to look down on those poor mortals who purchase lesser brands. Smug isn't confined to Prius owners  it's a Toyota thing. To me they're cramped small and worst of all you sit in em like a really really small car. For years the absolutely GUTLESS v6 had to have all kinds of mantinence done every time you turned around particularly timing belts. They just aren't any better in my book than just about any other mini truck or SUV.......but the owners think they are

re you kidding? resale is one of the best parts of the Jeep wrangler easily keeping up with or outpacing the toyota tacoma
Jeep as a brand overall is #8 on the worst-resale list. (Tacoma DOES NOT however beat out the wrangler in re-sale model for model)

I fixed that for ya

NO it does NOT More yota flavored Kool aid. Did you not read the KBB rating I posted links to? The folks who pretty much determine resale value with thier publications the Taco is 14 and the wrangler is 11 in top resale value.

2door JK is only 17.5
Chevy suburban 21.5
LOL, I was comparing a 4-door to a 4-door. Not apples to oranges as you are. The 4x4 STD cab Tacoma is 17.2 and beats your Jeep if you really want to get technical.

does a std cab yota seat 5 like the 2door Wrangler?........didn't think so...... closer to 2.5 wouldn't ya say, not really apples to apples then is it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#50]
does a std cab yota seat 5 like the 2door Wrangler?........didn't think so...... closer to 2.5 wouldn't ya say, not really apples to apples then is it?

We could go on an on.....no, it doesn't. It would haul that quad you were talking about, with out a stupid trailer. Maybe you wouldn't have to take a 2wd van to hunting camp either. Throw a shell on your Taco and you're set. LOL.... Oh - It also hauls 1500 lbs of ammo. Ain't no cheep doing that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top