Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 10:57:59 AM EDT
I'll try this here because all the truck forums give me, "You got me?".  Anyway my 02 F-150 4.6L/5speed 4x4, was bought new and has been a good truck.  A couple years ago I noticed on a long drive at interstate speeds that when I downshifted or upshifted into 3rd that it would refuse to go in gear without letting RPM's come down.  It has progessed to the point that yesterday was hot and grinded every time I hit 3rd.  Pull over let it cool off no problem.  Cold outside no problem.  Drive for an extended period at speed (20+ minutes) or hot outside - grinds.  No other gears do it, and as a Mustang owner too, I know 3rd is the one you tear up in those too - usually a bent shift fork.  But once bent it is always bent, not like this which is obviously heat related.

Anyone seen this before?  3rd gear shift fork or syncho?

Also I have changed the fluid twice (syn) with no avail.  Some told me heavier oil - no sure about that one.  Right now its IV Mercon ATF is memory serves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top