Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:53:19 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting something much more practical, and cheaper on insurance and I am drawn to the 09 250. I have always wanted a truck, but got sucked into the sports car market first
I am wanting a 250 XL 4x4, Quad Cab with the 6ft bed + towing package. This is my first truck, are there any 'must haves' regarding equipment/accessories? I know I want the in dash computer if I do get this truck, and 4x4 was a must.

Hell if there is something wrong with the platform let me know, this thread is about your opinions on the truck. love it? hate it? think it's a piece of junk or the best truck ever. I am all ears.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
get a diesel in it and u will be set
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What are the pros and cons to a diesel vs. gasoline?
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your pecker will be much bigger.....    In all honesty and not to bash on you but why buy that big if a truck if you have to ask these questions.  I am from the school where vehicles serve a real purpose if a three quarter ton truck fits you needs then let us know what your needs are.  Flame suit on!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your pecker will be much bigger.....    In all honesty and not to bash on you but why buy that big if a truck if you have to ask these questions.  I am from the school where vehicles serve a real purpose if a three quarter ton truck fits you needs then let us know what your needs are.  Flame suit on!  

Well to be honest, I have always admired Ford trucks, and there hauling/towing capability and being a all around good work truck. I work with my dad and have to use one of his, but figured I really do need one of my own. I will be hauling big items the bed, trailers etc. he runs F150's and doesn't care for the 250's so I came here trying to build an all around good work truck from guys who have owned them before.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to be honest, I have always admired Ford trucks, and there hauling/towing capability and being a all around good work truck. I work with my dad and have to use one of his, but figured I really do need one of my own. I will be hauling big items the bed, trailers etc. he runs F150's and doesn't care for the 250's so I came here trying to build an all around good work truck from guys who have owned them before.

Well I may of been a bit harsh with my comments to start.  Next is look at the specs of a F150 vs. a 250,350.....  Then ask yourself if you will ever come even close to needing that kind of capacity....  Now with a diesel, take in mind I am a diesel tech by trade....  Do you really need or know how or what is involved in a diesel???  Just a tid bit a Powerstroke currently gets about $130 for a oil change, $200 for a trans 'flush', and $2800 for a fuel pump.  You can basically double the maintenance cost with a diesel rig vs. gas.  Now gas will not last as long as a diesel engine but I can rebuld a gas rig for what a pump and injectors cost in a diesel rig.  Gas is cheaper and is everywhere.  I've never owned anything more than a 1/2 ton chevy with a small block, haul a boat, 28" travel trailer, and tote around a Kubota tractor on a 20' trailer up 7% grades.

All I am getting at is if you want a toy for fancy rig then get the baddest mother you can buy.....  If you are going to use it for "work" then get what you will need....
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't the new Superduty Fords require removal of the cab from the frame for most engine work including fuel related items, turbos, engine problems etc? SCREW that!! What is the labor bill just having to R&R the cab from the frame?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Why an F250, instead of an F150?

If you don't tow regularly, get a gas engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have alot of stuff I don't "need". Buy what you want dude.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
For my daily driver I have an F150 FX4, my work truck around the ranch is a F250 4x4 Diesel.  Really, if you want just a driver get an F150 youll save yourself some fuel.  If you tow alot then pony u the extra cash for a diesel, the 5.4 in the F250 4x4 is a dog and the V10 is a gus sucking demon from hell.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.4L Powerstroke is an updated version of the 6.0L which was a terribly unreliable engine. It's issues were head gaskets and turbos. I haven't heard of any head issues with the 6.4, but it does have a pair of compound turbos that IMO are more complicated than they should be. It is a quiet truck with good power, but don't expect much in the way of fuel economy (~15 mpg).

I've driven a diesel for about a year now only doing light work with it, and I can say firsthand that unless you haul, tow, or otherwise really work the truck frequently, it'll probably be too much vehicle for you. It can be quite a fun vehicle, but you really do have to pay to play. Just my $0.02.

A gasser will typically have lower maintenance costs, but will return even lower mileage. If you do go that route, I'd recommend the V10 over the V8. Both will return pretty dismal mileage, but at least with the 10 cylinder the truck will be more responsive. I've put a lot of miles on an F350 with a 5.4L gas V8 scooting around ND, and it isn't a quick truck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have alot of stuff I don't "need". Buy what you want dude.

It sounds like he wants a truck, but doesn't neccesarily "need" a truck.

An F150 is a truck, and has about 90% of the capability of an F250, with a better ride, and fuel economy.

No one said don't get a truck, but why get a work truck, when he wants a driver?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a 150. I supply OE parts for them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.4L Powerstroke is an updated version of the 6.0L which was a terribly unreliable engine. It's issues were head gaskets and turbos. I haven't heard of any head issues with the 6.4, but it does have a pair of compound turbos that IMO are more complicated than they should be. It is a quiet truck with good power, but don't expect much in the way of fuel economy (~15 mpg).

I've driven a diesel for about a year now only doing light work with it, and I can say firsthand that unless you haul, tow, or otherwise really work the truck frequently, it'll probably be too much vehicle for you. It can be quite a fun vehicle, but you really do have to pay to play. Just my $0.02.

A gasser will typically have lower maintenance costs, but will return even lower mileage. If you do go that route, I'd recommend the V10 over the V8. Both will return pretty dismal mileage, but at least with the 10 cylinder the truck will be more responsive. I've put a lot of miles on an F350 with a 5.4L gas V8 scooting around ND, and it isn't a quick truck.

I agree with most of what you say except that the diesel are more expensive to own. Other than the initial cost they can be the same to less.  They get 20% better mileage compared to the same weight truck with a gas engine although the higher diesel cost wipes this out. I have an 01.5 Dodge Cummins diesel and I spend nothing on maintenance. 10K fuel filters and 6K oil changes that I do myself. I can change the oil for $35 which is 12 quarts and a oil filter. Other than that I do nothing to the truck. It has cost me less than anything else I have owned including economy cars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't the new Superduty Fords require removal of the cab from the frame for most engine work including fuel related items, turbos, engine problems etc? SCREW that!! What is the labor bill just having to R&R the cab from the frame?

I can't say for sure one way or the other but that sure sounds like bullshit to me. If (and that's a big IF) that is true, someone at Ford had their head way up their ass on that one
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Diesel engines are a raw deal right now.  The diesel might get 2 MPG better than the gas, but if you figure that you are spending $6,000 more and financing that over six years at 7% you really aren't saving anything.  Especially with extra maintenance and the lower reliability of the new emissions equipment.

But most people would be better off with the F150 anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with most of what you say except that the diesel are more expensive to own. Other than the initial cost they can be the same to less.  They get 20% better mileage compared to the same weight truck with a gas engine although the higher diesel cost wipes this out. I have an 01.5 Dodge Cummins diesel and I spend nothing on maintenance. 10K fuel filters and 6K oil changes that I do myself. I can change the oil for $35 which is 12 quarts and a oil filter. Other than that I do nothing to the truck. It has cost me less than anything else I have owned including economy cars.

I have a 01.5 cummins also. I get 17mpg mixed highway and city (hand calculated) and I have over 30k miles on my last oil change (synthetic oil and a bypass filter). My maintenace routine is check the oil once a month, change the full flow oil filter every 5k miles and the bypass every 10k, top off with oil after filter changes. Other than that and alittle grease in the ball joints every now and again I have no maintenace costs. Filter changes cost me less that 50dollars a year and when I actulally change the oil (based on oil analysis) it costs about 70bucks (for synthetic) for the oil and I change it in my garage.

This too has been the lowest cost, in terms of maintenace, vehicle that I have owned.

J-

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't say for sure one way or the other but that sure sounds like bullshit to me. If (and that's a big IF) that is true, someone at Ford had their head way up their ass on that one

Had a co-worker with a newer  F250 Diesel (cant remember the year but its last 5 years) and had a fuel pump go out and he said that they had to remove the entire cab to do the work. Truck was in the shop for 5 days IIRC.

J-

Link Posted: 5/6/2009 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]
You want a Crew long bed?  You can't get this in the F150 for those pointing you in that direction.  It may not turn around quite as well as your sports car, parking is a bitch.

Gas vs. Diesel.  Always debateable.  

Generally speaking, last longer, better mpg's, better resale, and a definite if you do alot of towing.  As others said, it cost more but resale is also higher.  Personally, the only Ford diesel I would own is the 7.3L Powerstroke.  My friend's father traded his '99 with 7.3L for a new Ford with 6.4L.  He said it's the worst thing he has done and wishes he had his '99 back.

Gas engines are cheaper, gas is cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#19]
One of my best friends is a Ford tech.He has pulled the cabs off many SD's to do engine work.I love Ford trucks,but imagine the cost out off warranty for such a job!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an '08 F350(same as '09), 6.4 Powerstroke, King Ranch, crew cab, longbed. My advice is to buy an F150, it's a very nice pickup. If you're set on the F250 get the V10 or 5.4 (gas) engine as they both will get better mileage than the diesel.

The new Powerstroke costs a fortune to maintain and the best mileage I've seen is 12.8 (highway) and 11.5 (city). If you drive the pickup on short trips (less than 10 miles) you will be in a continous "regen" that will drop the mileage even lower. It is also true that the cab will have to be removed for major repairs as it was designed to, and that task alone will cost over $1000.

For your own sanity, buy something other than a new diesel pickup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pretty funny quote, but I agree with it.

The era of diesel=low maintenance is over. A '99 Ford/'01 Dodge whatever is two generations removed from what you can buy new today. That generation doesn't speak EGR or REGEN or DPF. The new trucks DO, and it SUCKS. Unless you really need what a 3/4 ton truck can do, you'll be buying more headaches than happiness with the current generation of diesels.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Correct, they are designed to require this, but it is still a PITA.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have an '08 F350(same as '09), 6.4 Powerstroke, King Ranch, crew cab, longbed. My advice is to buy an F150, it's a very nice pickup. If you're set on the F250 get the V10 or 5.4 (gas) engine as they both will get better mileage than the diesel.

The new Powerstroke costs a fortune to maintain and the best mileage I've seen is 12.8 (highway) and 11.5 (city). If you drive the pickup on short trips (less than 10 miles) you will be in a continous "regen" that will drop the mileage even lower. It is also true that the cab will have to be removed for major repairs as it was designed to, and that task alone will cost over $1000.

That matches our experience with the new Super Duties as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Had a co-worker with a newer  F250 Diesel (cant remember the year but its last 5 years) and had a fuel pump go out and he said that they had to remove the entire cab to do the work. Truck was in the shop for 5 days IIRC.

J-

A few months ago there was an issue with obtaining the bolts that mated the cab to the frame. It seems that Ford designed the bolts for one-time use, so every time you remove the cab you have to use new bolts. Well the factory ran out of these bolts a few months ago and every truck we had in for service with the cab removed sat at the dealership for days, sometimes weeks. My brother owns and runs an ambulance service (I help with the books) and he would sell several of his children to obtain his old 7.3 equipped squads back. The newer Super Duties do NOT have the reliability that the older trucks had.

That said, they do well when they are running and I would still recommend one to someone that truly needed the capabilities of the Super Duty. If you do not need to tow heavy loads or have a bigger truck than your neighbor. I would look at a fully equipped F-150 with the 5.4 right now. Should be able to get a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
As I type this, my '08 F350 dually is at the dealership for the second time since I've owned it. It just turned over 60,000 miles and 1800 engine hours. A seperated radiator core was the first issue, and it was covered under warranty about a month ago. It started surging yesterday and losing power, so I took it in. They haven't scanned it yet, as there are about a dozen other diesels in front of me. That, along with several smaller things( broken tailight bulbs, weak fender liners that droop and tear off, and a bed that's started to crack from what I assume is vibration) have been the only issues. I get about 13 mpg unhitched and 10-11 towing with the low rear end option.

All in all, I've been pretty happy with it. I routinely haul beds full of asphalt kegs(30 x 100lbs each) and tow tractors, man lifts and other heavy equipment at least twice a week. It's a dedicated work truck, so it doesn't get treated lightly, but it does get serviced exactly to Ford's schedule.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I just purchased my first Ford product, an 09 F150 scab 4x4 with the small V8 2V and love it. The ride is excellent the cab is layed out awsome and it sits high off the ground. I have been getting 18.5 (according to the computer) in mixed driving.

I am not just saying this cause I own one but it is far supperior to the last two Silverados I have had.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I just purchased my first Ford product, an 09 F150 scab 4x4 with the small V8 2V and love it. The ride is excellent the cab is layed out awsome and it sits high off the ground. I have been getting 18.5 (according to the computer) in mixed driving.

I am not just saying this cause I own one but it is far supperior to the last two Silverados I have had.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Diesel is less then gas here...

Not sure where all you guys are purchasing fuel from..
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Diesel hasnt been lower than regular gas here in Michigan in about 18months, but Michigan does have the 3rd highest fuel prices in the country. Thank god they tax the crap out of our fuel. Our roads suck, the state budget is so over budget it should be criminal and our state economy sucks, YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Best I paid for Diesel in the last year was 2.29. Its creaping back up to around 2.79. Worse in the last couple of years was 4.69/gallon last summer.

J-
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Diesel is great, but my V10 has run 100K trouble free. No problems pulling my race car or cattle trailer.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Diesel was less than or equal to gas everywhere I went on the roadtrip I just came back from which covered 16 states. Problem is that the new gen of diesels don't get any better fuel mileage, so unless you are towing several times a week, you will never pay off the diesel. Those days are over with. If you are towing maybe once every couple weeks, buy the V10, and you will still save money over the life of the new diesels.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a 08 Dodge 2500 Quad cab 4x4 6.7l diesel.

I have owned Fords before this one and still like them better as a truck.  But this Dodge has been troublefree for the first 10k miles.

I did unplug the egr to reduce the soot going through the engine.  I get 15-16mpg in mixed city driving and 17-18 mpg on the highway.

Pulling my boat at about 5k lbs I am getting 12-13mpg.

So far I'm quite happy with this truck and I got a smoking deal back in October due to the economy.  I got 40% off the truck.  Ford or Chevy would not come close to that big of a discount back then.

If I was to buy a truck right now though I would probably buy the new F150.  It would have fit my needs a little better but I have the resale advantage of the diesel and I intend to get a RV at some point in the near future.

If you plan to tow less part time and less than 8k pounds then stick with a half ton.  If you plan to tow all the time then get a diesel no matter what the weight.  Towing my boat with this 3/4 ton diesel is effortless.

And you can get a F150 Supercrew with a long bed now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The newest Ford diesels are full of fail.

We picked up an '08 about 6 months ago and it's been in the shop more than it's been on the road. Turbocharger recalls (required the entire body to be lifted from the frame), and the transmission dumped all of it's fluid out going down the interstate.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#34]
If you are going to get a diesel, get a Chevy or a Dodge. I would lean towards the chevy due to the Allison Transmissions.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If you are going to get a diesel, get a Chevy or a Dodge. I would lean towards the chevy due to the Allison Transmissions.

That's a tough one...

I'm a fan of both Cummins and Allison.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you're a fan of supporting the Italian government or Obama's government motors get a Dodge or Chevy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since the mandate of LSD and ULSD, diesel has rarely been cheaper than gasoline. Current economic conditions are making diesel cheaper. This is not a return to "the good old days", but a temporary situation.

Despite the continuing economic recession, recent data indicate a diminishing year-over-year decline in gasoline consumption, while consumption of distillate fuel (diesel to you non-oil people) is continuing to exhibit substantial year-over-year declines. Reversing a pattern of weakness seen for almost two years, motor gasoline consumption appears to be gaining traction while the distillate fuel market continues to fall. The EIA's Short-Term Energy Outlook released Wednesday, shows a projected 0.3-percent increase in motor gasoline consumption this year, buoyed by an increase in real disposable income and a substantial year-over-year decline in retail motor gasoline pump prices. Distillate consumption, on the other hand, is expected to shrink a further 5.5 percent this year as a result of substantial declines in both manufacturing activity and freight movements at U.S. ports.

Once freight picks back up, the retail price of diesel will rebound.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 2005 F250 supercab 4x4 w/V10 and get about 11.5 mpg consistently. However it has enough power that next time I move all I have to do is throw a chain around the house and drag to a new location.
Oh, in 2005 the V10 was a 600.00 option and the diesel was a 4000.00 option.
You can buy a lot of gas for 3400.00 dollars...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#39]
My work has a 08 F550 with the 6.4 diesel.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE BIODIESEL IN THIS MOTOR.

We're on motor 2.5 now because of this and my company's inability to listen to Ford.

Since the issues we've had have been basically all our fault, I can't really comment since we've only got 20k or so miles on the newest motor.

Aside from that its been pretty damn nice.  Smooth, powerful, and QUIET as all hell.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The newest Ford diesels are full of fail.

We picked up an '08 about 6 months ago and it's been in the shop more than it's been on the road. Turbocharger recalls (required the entire body to be lifted from the frame), and the transmission dumped all of it's fluid out going down the interstate.

I have heard this statement so many times. My line of work does not include civilian fleet trucks, but my father's does. They operate a couple Ford 6.0 Chassis Cab trucks that are pulling fools but have astronomical maintenance costs.

It seems the 7.3L may have been the last great Ford Diesel.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My work has a 08 F550 with the 6.4 diesel.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE BIODIESEL IN THIS MOTOR.

We're on motor 2.5 now because of this and my company's inability to listen to Ford.

Since the issues we've had have been basically all our fault, I can't really comment since we've only got 20k or so miles on the newest motor.

Aside from that its been pretty damn nice.  Smooth, powerful, and QUIET as all hell.

Did Ford ever say why bio is a no-no in that engine? I'm guessing you're having catastrophic failures and not something like plugged injectors or particulate filters since they're replacing the whole engines... I'm scratching my head wondering wtf is wrong with the engine to not allow bio.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top