Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:13:52 AM EDT
OK.  I posted the first question in the "general" section, now here.  1.)  My '88 wrangler heats up/runs at around 210-215F.  Is this normal?  2.)  Also, what is the cheapest/best 2" lift kit for a new YJ owner?  I wanna put 31" BFG A/T on without any issue.  Plus the extra height looks cool....
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I cannot help you, I have a JK.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That temp sounds pretty close to normal , My TJ  runs right around 205- 210 all the time .........summer or winter makes no difference.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Water temp sounds about right.  Do yourself a favor and buy a legitimate Factory Service Manual - not a Haynes or Clymer - but the real deal manual the mechanics at the dealer would use.  It will be money well spent.

I think 31's will fit on a YJ w/o any lift but I'm not positive - check one of the Jeep specific websites.  Just because the tires will fit doesn't mean the axles/trans are geared properly to run those tires - especially if you have a 4 cyl engine.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Temp sounds fine.  My YJ always ran right around 210, and would occasionally creep up a bit during the summer.

You should be able to put 31" on your stock suspension.  I had 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's on the stock 7.5" Alloy wheels.  It rubbed in tight turns, and would bump the fenders when off roading, but was fine otherwise, just take it easy in those situations.

I eventually put a 2.5" lift on from Quadratec.  Essentially a BDS setup.  I want to say it cost me around 450 or so, but that was several years back, around 2K3, so I honestly don't remember the total cost.  Just make sure do to your driveline measuments and shim and angle it all up right.  I didn't (took the instructions at their word) and wound up toasting my x-fer case.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought this might fit in nicely here.

JeepForum - ARFCOM group
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to put 31" on your stock suspension. I had 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's on the stock 7.5" Alloy wheels. It rubbed in tight turns, and would bump the fenders when off roading, but was fine otherwise, just take it easy in those situations.

It really depends on how worn out the OP's springs are

With my seriously de arched springs 31" tires rubbed just going to the mailbox requiring me to use a 2" extended shackle.

The pic below shows my YJ halfway lifted with the rear on 2.5" springs and the front still stock on a 1" lift shackle

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

JeepForum - ARFCOM group

Oh man I didn't know us losers had a group over there! I am user 'dhubing'
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeeeup, I'm the only one to have posted on the Jeepforum arfcom group.  I'm glock9mm overthere too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just joined also, I'm N2MWL over there......

Link Posted: 4/11/2009 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang, what a small world!
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JeepForum - ARFCOM group

Oh man I didn't know us losers had a group over there! I am user 'dhubing'

I just joined up too, i split my time between here and that site. TJRubicon06
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeeeup, I'm the only one to have posted on the Jeepforum arfcom group.  I'm glock9mm overthere too.

Didn't know there was an ARFCOM group there.

I do post there some.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm over on JK-forum.com as well with my call sign (N2MWL) as my user ID also...
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#14]
So if I lift it, do I need a longer driveshaft?  Man Im confused.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

maybe.  You might also need to drop the transfer case.  Just depends on how much and what kind of lift you get.

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Each build is different.  I wound up getting a JB Custom HD T-Case with Super Short SYE kit and Tom Woods double CV drive shaft, and had to shim up the axle (I want to say 4 degrees, but can't remember now...) after my original T-Case grenaded itself after about 3 weeks on the new lift.  Very slight vibration, I figured the springs would settle in, and everything would be fine.  But, apparently not.  

So, when you do it  Measure those angles!!!  But, really, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right.

Oh, and don't forget extended brake lines and anti-sway bar disconnects and taking out/extending the axle to frame sway bars.  (YJ's really don't need them, I took mine out right off the bat.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe.  You might also need to drop the transfer case.  Just depends on how much and what kind of lift you get.

If you have a vibe, the easiest fix is to drop the t-case. Just get some washers and longer grade 5 or 8 bolts and shim until the vibes stop. You can also get a transfer case lowering kit, but those are a lot more expensive.

It really depends on how much of a lift you are going for.

And then there are things like axle shift, sway bar angle, and so on.

I am planning on doing a Full Traction 4" short arm with the tri link rear, and that will eliminate the rear trackbar and position the rear axle under the body again.

For the front, I will eventually go woth an ORO u-turn steering set up.

Right now both of my axles are off center with my 2" spring lift. I could fix that with adjustable track bars, but if  Ido the lift, I will get rid of the rear, and an adjustable comes with the kit, along with a dropped pitman arm.

Just make sure you use quality parts, and don't do a friggin 3" body lift.

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The H2's of the Jeep world!
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know the the JK was the first series of jeeps to EVER come in 2WD only?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, the rofl was in agreement of your post.  

I said much the same and it never fails that someone's feelings get hurt.  JK's also field a V6 mini-van engine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#22]

I hate to bust your bubble but you could get a JK in 4x4 from the start
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hate to bust your bubble but you could get a JK in 4x4 from the start

yeah, but 2wd was never an option until the JK line was produced.  All jeep wranglers from the base model to the Rubicon were only offered in 4wd.

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
NO you could always get all kinds of Jeep models as a 4x2 I have a 2wd MJ out back right now

Now if you're talking Wrangler and CJ specific

For many years, there have been 2wd Wranglers. They are mostly used as fleet and municipal vehicles, They're rare .But there in fact are a few of em out there. Of course the right hand drive mail jeeps were almost all 2wd

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NO you could always get all kinds of Jeep models as a 4x2 I have a 2wd MJ out back right now

Now if you're talking Wrangler and CJ specific

For many years, there have been 2wd Wranglers. They are mostly used as fleet and municipal vehicles, They're rare .But there in fact are a few of em out there. Of course the right hand drive mail jeeps were almost all 2wd

Not commercial vehicles. The fleet jeeps were not offered to the public by way of the factory. They were (and still are) available on the used market, but don't sell so well. Especially the funky looking ones Jeep made. I have seen some R/H postal jeeps in the TJ body style.

The JK was the first of the 'factory available' 2wd in the classic CJ/Wrangler format. And it's also the first one in a 4 door. But it isn't the first extended bed version available to the public.

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2
JK, its a joke and Jeep admits it in the model code.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

I neve picked up on that. Good one!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

Get over what?

The fact that Jeep made a POS 4x2 for the mall crawling soccer mom?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

Get over what?

and what other MORE hardcore manufacturer offers SUV's with solid front axles in the US............................

that's what I thought
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

Get over what?

and what other MORE hardcore manufacturer offers SUV's with solid front axles in the US............................

that's what I thought

So? Doesn't change the fact that Jeep did a 4x2.

And I own a TJ, so it isn't 'jeep bashing'.

Whoever designed the body was smoking crack.

A slightly wider wheel base was good, but the '07 and up just look off. Worse than the YJ. At least you could fab up a round headlight grill for the YJ. And the body was pure jeep. Not so with the JK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

Get over what?

that's what I thought

A slightly wider wheel base was good, but the '07 and up just look off. Worse than the YJ. At least you could fab up a round headlight grill for the YJ. And the body was pure jeep. Not so with the JK.

HEY them's fighting words

But that's OK because coil springs are for pussies anyhow, Just remember the TJ has more in common with the JK than the YJ does.

The more I see of 2dr JK's the more I like em. I try to not be some close minded Luddite, I'm sure Jeepers said the exact same things when the TJ came out. Just be happy there is a new wrangler for new jeepers to enjoy that's not a Unibody crossover. If you want to bash a Jeep bash the patriot or compass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

Get over what?

that's what I thought

HEY them's fighting words

But that's OK because coil springs are for pussies anyhow, Just remember the TJ has more in common with the JK than the YJ does.

The more I see of 2dr JK's the more I like em. I try to not be some close minded Luddite, I'm sure Jeepers said the exact same things when the TJ came out. Just be happy there is a new wrangler for new jeepers to enjoy that's not a Unibody crossover. If you want to bash a Jeep bash the patriot or compass.

Chrysler fucked up putting square headlights on a jeep. They did strengthen the frame, but other than that, they left it on those crappy leaf springs!!!

But I'd love to own a CJ-7 or 8. Maybe even a 5. But not a YJ! Yech,
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Chrysler fucked up putting square headlights on a jeep.

LOLOLOLOL Shows what you know  Chrysler didn't even own Jeep when the YJ came out. I know you, your the type fellow that no matter what you own by vurtiue of you owning it becomes  automatically the best EVER.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Chrysler fucked up putting square headlights on a jeep.

LOLOLOLOL Shows what you know  Chrysler didn't even own Jeep when the YJ came out. I know you, your the type fellow that no matter what you own by vurtiue of you owning it becomes  automatically the best EVER.

http://interloper.org/images/2002/stfu.jpg

Nope. I don't have a '69 SS Nova, a '72 Yenko Nova, a '63 Stingray, or a Lambo.

Of course, if you have round headlight envy, it's okay. There are support groups for that too!!

ETA:

I think i found the perfect Jeep for you:

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Would you  like a cookie?

What's the matter did the pwnage get to much so you had to show off...as if that matters to this thread at all.

By the way when was the YJ introduced? and when did Chrysler buy AMC?

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What's the matter did the pwnage get to much so you had to show off...as if that matters to this thread at all.

http://pixiestixkidspix.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cookie-bite-web.jpg

'87 on both counts, if you believe everything the wiki says. I was into muscle cars as a 17 y/o kid. I did have a 69 SS Nova at the time: 396, 4 speed Muncie M-21 (unfortunately not the 22, also known as the Rockcrusher!) posi rear. The only problem was the gearing. When my father special ordered in in '68 he went with a higher gear ratio. It was a 3.07:1 IIRC. He also did not opt for the factory gauge console. Stupid me wrecked it twice in HS.

I also remember when the Geo Tracker was rated a better factory four wheeler than the YJ in the early '90's.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pixiestixkidspix.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cookie-bite-web.jpg

if you believe everything the wiki says. I was into muscle cars as a 17 y/o kid. I did have a 69 SS Nova at the time: 396, 4 speed Muncie M-21 (unfortunately not the 22, also known as the Rockcrusher!) posi rear. The only problem was the gearing. When my father special ordered in in '68 he went with a higher gear ratio. It was a 3.07:1 IIRC. He also did not opt for the factory gauge console. Stupid me wrecked it twice in HS.

Dude you don't have to try to prove your manhood to me, I don't care how small a pecker you're trying to make up for. WTF does this have to do with anything in this thread

'87 on both counts,

I don't need no stinkin wiki

So if the YJ hit showrooms in late 86 and Chrysler bought AMC in 87 then who designed this model with it's really cool and unique square headlamps?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Why is it that guys like you always think that having a performance car has anything to do with dick size?

Oh.. I remember...... projection.

Because you lack the equipment to please your hand, much less a woman, every guy who has had something better in life must have a small pecker too.

That's okay 'lil fella..... I'll toss my GF a little harder fuck for ya.

kockus to his buddy:

My boyfriend told me to give him 6 inches and make it hurt, so I fucked him 3 times and donkey punched him.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Why is it that guys like you always think that having a performance car has anything to do with dick size?

you're the dipshit who felt the need to mention it out of the wide blue in a frickin Jeep thread for no apparent reason whatsoever not me

"OK so I don't know shit about Jeeps" ...."But I own a Lambo and worked on a Nova"

WTF I mean really W.T.F.

I just think it's really hilarious and kinda sad that boy you just thought I'd be blown away by the fact you own a Lambo and simply couldn't comprehend that for the purposes of this thread I could care less. So then you start some rambling diatribe about a fuckin Nova in a vain effort to soothe you bruised manhood in front of the entire internet

In your case if the shoe fits.....well you know

BTW

What manufacturer designed the first wrangler yj?

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

you're the dipshit who felt the need to mention it out of the wide blue in a frickin Jeep thread for no apparent reason whatsoever not me

"OK so I don't know shit about Jeeps" ...."But I own a Lambo and worked on a Nova"

WTF I mean really W.T.F.

I just think it's really hilarious and kinda sad that boy you just thought I'd be blown away by the fact you own a Lambo and simply couldn't comprehend that for the purposes of this thread I could care less. Then you start some rambling diatribe about a fuckin Nova.

In your case if the shoe fits.....well you know

BTW

What manufacturer designed the first wrangler yj?

I did mention that I had a '69 Nova, as in 1986, that is what I was driving, and where my interests in cars was. What I remember from that time was Chrysler buying Jeep at the time the YJ was released. Never gave it a thought, as I thought the YJ was (and still is) ugly as hell with the square headlights. Never gave them a second glance. And to be honest, it doesn't matter to me one bit that AMC designed the square headlight retard jeep. Chrysler was more than happy to keep it going. Of course, they were also happy with the K car, the LeBaron, and other fugly cars until someone with some brains decided to do the Prowler and the Viper.

Now they have some decent cars, but the JK is still butt ugly, just like the YJ.

Her is a nice example of the YJ at it best

The only decent looking thing is the chick.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

I am over it, I bought a TJ the second i heard about the upcomming JK.  But i do have some JK in my jeep now so i guess i can really talk.

Those are JK front turn signals in my grill.  The tube fenders are primed and waiting for next weekend, so i needed turn signals, the JK's plug right into the stock wiring and push fit in after using a 3 1/4 holesaw.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

get over it already...

I am over it, I bought a TJ the second i heard about the upcomming JK.  But i do have some JK in my jeep now so i guess i can really talk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/VelociRaptor350/img_1816.jpg
Those are JK front turn signals in my grill.  The tube fenders are primed and waiting for next weekend, so i needed turn signals, the JK's plug right into the stock wiring and push fit in after using a 3 1/4 holesaw.

What kind of mirrors are those? Running with the doors off?

You running 33's?

What rear diff you do you have?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Mirrors are from JeepIt.  Doors were off for that day, i put everything back on at the end of the weekend( i have to, fucking thieves).  Its a Rubi so D44 front and rear. Tires are 285/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

How many inches of lift does it take to fit 35's on a tj?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
2.5 if you go tube fender. Hell ive seen 37's on 3.75 total.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

Without tube fenders, a minimum of 4 inches of lift. If you throw on a 1 inch body lift on top of the 4" lift, you should be set, but if you don't do a body lift, you might end up smacking your fenders,and especially your rear wheel well.

It really depends on how much work you want to put into modifying your jeep.

AVE makes the Hi Line kit that you theoretically could probably stuff 40 under with a 4"lift

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2

Without tube fenders, a minimum of 4 inches of lift. If you throw on a 1 inch body lift on top of the 4" lift, you should be set, but if you don't do a body lift, you might end up smacking your fenders,and especially your rear wheel well.

It really depends on how much work you want to put into modifying your jeep.

AVE makes the Hi Line kit that you theoretically could probably stuff 40 under with a 4"lift

So 5 inches of lift total to fit 35's vs the 3.5 needed on the JK to do it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top