Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2009 3:47:11 AM EDT
So a buddy of my dads has a company truck given to him every year by a seed company. He puts alot of miles on them(90-100k/yr) and then after the year is up he has the option to either buy the vehicle at whatever the dealership will give the company or trade it in.

This year he happens to have a black quadcab 07 F150 Lariat fully loaded with bed cover. He asked if I would be interested and said the mileage will be right at 90-100k when it is time to sell it in March. They have all been highway miles on single lane type roads(55mph).

He is probably 55-60 or so and a laid back farmer. I doubt the truck has ever touched 75mph and he keeps it clean 95% of the time with good maintenance records. Doesnt look like there is any type of underbody rust starting even on exposed components.

As far as price he said it would be right around 12-14k. I will not know until he gets his new truck and takes this one to the dealership of his companies choice. After that he has 4 days to decide whether to buy the truck out or trade it in. If it comes back to high I am not obligated to buy it and it its ok I am the first on the list to take it.

It is in new condition except for a small ding in the rear chrome bumper. Tires are new 20k ago.

So do you think it sounds like a deal? Any maintenance issues coming my way in the near future. I realize wheel bearings/belts/tie rods etc. and such will probably be coming

UPDATE: He just called last night and said it would be $12k if I wanted it. Thats about $3000 under dealer trade in value on KBB. What do you think I should do? I have a 02 Xterra that Im selling for around $5k. That would make it $7k for a 07 fully loaded truck with a few miles but otherwise cherry. I need to let him know in a day or 2 so quick is good.

I also just bought my wife a car but even with that we will be in 2 new nice vehicles for $25k which is pretty reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Gas or diesel?

I had an 07 F150 supercab 4x4, and loved the heck out of it, but if i had to do it again, I would do a diesel, even with the higher fuel cost.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's gas, there isn't a diesel option for the '04-'08 F150.

I have an '04 F150 Lariat Supercab, I bought it new and 80K miles later, I'm pretty happy with it.  Most of my commute is highway miles, and I average 16-17 mpg.  19-20 mpg is the best I've ever seen out of it, that's unloaded on a long highway trip.

At that mileage, you'll be coming up on a tune up and depending on the build date, you can be in store for some serious hell.  2004 to early '07 had a goofy two piece spark plug that would get stuck in the cylinder head and break off upon removal.  There are tools to remove the broken plugs, but in all honesty, if you have it done at a dealer it's gonna be expensive.  And in an absolute worst case scenario, the cylinder heads may have to come off to drive the broken remains of the plug out.

I haven't had any major, leave-me-on-the-side-of-the-road problems with my truck.  A few little annoying things, squeaks and rattles and such, it's kinda hard on brakes/rotors (the rotors seem to warp rather easily, causing a pulsation).  The 18" BFGs on most Lariats are kinda so-so, I got about 40K miles before they hit the wear bars on my first set, this second set seems to be better.  I've had to replace a window regulator, they're cable driven and the cable can break, it's a pretty common thing on those trucks.  

The spark plug thing is probably the biggest hassle, but in mid '07 they changed the cylinder heads and went back to a conventional style spark plug.  If you can, find out the engine build date, it'll be on a tag on the driver's side valve cover, I can tell you what plugs it should have in it by that.

Thanks for all the info. Is it easily a 200k vehicle with proper maintenance?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Update OP
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally think that sounds like one hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it two or four wheel drive?

4 wheel drive v8 flex fuel auto fully loaded
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]
thats what Im thinking too. I could hold off and get another truck in a year or 2 but I couldnt touch one like this for under $16 Im sure. Ill let you know how I turn out on it.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
thats what Im thinking too. I could hold off and get another truck in a year or 2 but I couldnt touch one like this for under $16 Im sure. Ill let you know how I turn out on it.

Thanks for the help!

Got the word on it tonight. It has 92K now and is $12,000 even. I told him I would take it. I get to pick it up sometime this week!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top