Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:28:45 AM EDT
I can pick up a new 08 Interceptor for a little over $10,000. Reaaly like what I have read (due to a suggestion on here). But I'm still drawn to the Interceptor. Sat on one last week & it was quite comfortable. I have yet to ride both.

Anyone spend time on a sprint?

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
10K is too much for a new VFR. You should be around 9 out the door. They haven't changed in 8 years and haven't sold well, there are still 2005 left overs around.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an older 2000 sprint that I'm in the process of rebuilding, its a pretty fun bike. The newer 1050CC 3cyl(in the newer sprints) is quite an engine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Wanna buy my '02 Interceptor?  It would be a nice 'get to know you' ride from CA to PA

Brian
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I just did a 2500 mile trip in June on my '06 Sprint with a buddy that rides an '04 VFR. Both of us ran with stuffed saddle bags, tail bags and tank bags from Inverness, FL to Clarksville, AR for a wedding. I had 210 miles on the clock by the time we both met up.

The Sprint has a good bit more power (more cc's), better gas mileage/fuel range by a bit, is lighter by a few pounds and is more comfortable to me.

The VFR has bigger bags, better handling and better headlights.

The Sprint elicits more comments on its looks by the public. The VFR's style grabs me almost as much as the Sprint though.

If you want more power, especially down low, go with the Sprint. If you don't have a Triumph dealer close, go with the VFR.

Really, the bikes are a toss up and each have their strengths and weaknesses. Both would serve you well.

A test ride would be the only way for you to decide.

Bikes are like shoes, some fit and some don't.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Sprint has a good bit more power (more cc's), better gas mileage/fuel range by a bit, is lighter by a few pounds and is more comfortable to me.

What kind of mileage on the Sprint?  I averaged 42 mpg on a 1825 mile round trip from Santa Rosa to Portland - via the coast N/B, via the Cascades S/B (less than 100 miles on I-5).

Brian
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys arent helping, I like them both. Going to the dealer to check out the ABS 2008 Sprint at the local dealership on thursday.  $10,000.

Dont have a price on the VFR. I like both styles as well but am leaning to the higher HP of the sprint. I have an 07 v-strom 650 to putz around on. Just need a bigger hammer. haven't ruled out a barely used 07 yamaha warrior either, completely diff direction but cant deny the cool factor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If you already have a 650, you may be dissapointed with the VFR. I went from an SV650 to a VFR and didn't  find any real power difference, but the SV definitely was" torquier". If you want more oomph go with the Sprint.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Most Triumph dealers allow test rides, go take one.

A Honda dealer may let you take a test ride if you are ready to buy, their sales have probably already started hurting from the current financial situation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been told that. But this was from the yamaha/suzuki dealer.

I think I may go w/ the sprint. The engine sounds quite good & should keep up w/ some of the sportier stuff out there & still be a good pick for some long trips or to just take out & ride like hell. I think it will do both.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of mileage on the Sprint?  I averaged 42 mpg on a 1825 mile round trip from Santa Rosa to Portland - via the coast N/B, via the Cascades S/B (less than 100 miles on I-5).

Brian

I averaged 38 on the low end and as high as 48. I used hard math and not the trip computer.

Super slabbing it, 75 to 80 mph, I was getting 10 to 15 percent less fuel at every stop with both of us cramming every drop we could into the bikes. The higher our average speeds the more the VFR seemed to fall off. At anything under 65 the fuel consumption seemed about the same.

I did the 197 mile run on the FL turnpike from the exit where my buddy splits off in 2 hours and 29 minutes (I run a Garmin Zumo 550) and put 5.1 gallons in the Sprint.

I'll let you figure out my average speed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I did the 197 mile run on the FL turnpike from the exit where my buddy splits off in 2 hours and 29 minutes (I run a Garmin Zumo 550) and put 5.1 gallons in the Sprint.

75mph and 38 mpg....
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

75mph and 38 mpg....

Try 79.3 mph.

Factor in about 35 or 40 miles of 55 to 65 mph for construction and going through Gainsville, Orlando, etc. and you get a better idea of how fast I really ran.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

I averaged 38 on the low end and as high as 48. I used hard math and not the trip computer.

Super slabbing it, 75 to 80 mph, I was getting 10 to 15 percent less fuel at every stop with both of us cramming every drop we could into the bikes. The higher our average speeds the more the VFR seemed to fall off. At anything under 65 the fuel consumption seemed about the same.

My 42 mpg total trip average was hand calc'd after returning home to Santa Rosa - I wasn't riding for mpg and included a short run at 125mph

Brian
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

My 42 mpg total trip average was hand calc'd after returning home to Santa Rosa - I wasn't riding for mpg and included a short run at 125mph

Brian

You ride like I do. I found out the Sprint will hit 148 with loaded bags and they still stay on an empty stretch of 55 N.

I ride fairly aggressively down here in the Florida traffic, especially in the winter when the snowbirds are here. 10 over on the turnpike is barely enough to keep up with traffic most days.

I was pacing a BMW X5 and a BMW Z3 going in the upper 80's to a shade over 100 the other day coming home from West Palm and got passed by a Prius while were touching around 90. I got a good laugh out of that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, going to look tomorrow. The interceptor is out.

I did find an 07 Yamaha FJR 1300 for about $1000 less than the Triumph, it is used w/ 2000 miles though. Perfect condition.

Damn, I need all three.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok, going to look tomorrow. The interceptor is out.

I did find an 07 Yamaha FJR 1300 for about $1000 less than the Triumph, it is used w/ 2000 miles though. Perfect condition.

Damn, I need all three.

Do yourself a favor and ride the Interceptor (or any bike for that matter) before deciding it's out.

The FJR are supposed to be very nice bikes - I've never ridden one.  If I was looking for a street bike today I'd look at the FJR, ZX14, ST1300 & a few BMWs - all a bit more touring oriented than the VFR but still pretty sporty and probably a better fit for my height.

As it is, after my trip to Portland I've decided I want an Adventure Touring bike - KTM 950/990 Adventure or BMW GS1200 Adventure.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw an ST 1300 today. Not for me, and the sound.....good god, sounds awful w/ the factory exhaust. The only reason I nixed the VFR is that it's too close to what I have now. I'm keeping the stom. I have it set up to fit me perfectly. really leaning toward the sprint, wint to ride the fjr or I may just say the hell w/it & bring home a speed triple.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Saw an ST 1300 today. Not for me, and the sound.....good god, sounds awful w/ the factory exhaust. The only reason I nixed the VFR is that it's too close to what I have now. I'm keeping the stom. I have it set up to fit me perfectly. really leaning toward the sprint, wint to ride the fjr or I may just say the hell w/it & bring home a speed triple.

So basically, you want new eye & ear candy?

I've never really thought of the V-Strom & VFR as being that similar.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
HP department only.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget to take a look at the Kawasaki Concours as well.

My next bike will more than likely be an FJR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a "brand new" zero miles 2004 VFR in January...of 2007. It only cost $6,500 out the door as it was a left over model. If you could find a similar deal (cough-ebay-cough) I would highly recommend the VFR. I get tons of compliments on the looks and it is a great sport-touring bike. If you can't find a deal, though, I'd go for the sprint ST as it has more power. Good luck either way...  

Matt
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Went & looked at the FJR. Awesome bike pretty much loaded & a good price. Almost bought it then thought, It's a beautiful day, why not head up the mountain & look at the sprint, I don't have to buy anything today really & am happy w/ what I got now, and it's more $$ anyway.

So now I own a tornado red triumph sprint. Will pick up next saturday. I even got rid of the strom as I figure it will most likely sit. The dealer gave me $200 more than I paid 4 months ago and I got the 2008 ABS sprint otd for $10,900 Including side cases!

Pretty cool shop, couple old guys there that knew thier stuff & quite a few interesting bikes. One guy rolled in on a 1950's or 60's BMW thats his daily driver for an inspection. There was a whole bunch of knowlege just hanging out on a sat morning.

Now it is going to be a real long week. Too may meetings, & crap to do befor sat.

Damn
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats on the new bike.  Make sure to post some pics.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm jelous
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I am scared.

First brand new bike & I am afraid I'll do something stupid on the way home. First bike w/ this amount of HP as well.   Priors were, suziki 650 v-strom, BSA thunderbolt, old 2 stroke 175 suz.

Sure is red & shiny though....2 more days to pickup.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
HOLY SHIT MARY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

THIS THING FREAKING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how they did it but all you gotta do is think about turning & it does what you want. Only 80 miles on the clock & I'm keeping to the triumph reccomended break in schedule but this thing has power anywhere you want it even at lower rpms.  

Was hesitant to ditch the v-strom, even more so after the ride up this am but I'm glad I did. I'd never ride it again.

I must go change my shorts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top