Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 9:19:12 AM EDT
(no I'm not buying, don't bring it up! )

Been riding my bike for two days since I can't freaking decide what to get!!!!

I tossed the acura and now deciding between an f150, tundra and tacoma...

nav isn't worth it to me, I can have it put in later (in the console even!) for less than what ford wants, plus I think the add on systems are better. (I've looked into them in the past few weeks)

after deciding on 1) a truck 2) with the biggest engine for that model and 3) a nice back seat, the features I want are black, leather, power rear window, backup system and good stereo .

I'll still have to add xm to this.

2008 FORD F 150 SUPERCREW
BLACK
BLACK LEATHER
LARIAT
AUTO TEMP
DELUXE MIRROR PKG
PRIVACY GLASS
POWER SLIDING REAR WINDOW
PREMIUM 6-CD W/MP3
REVERSE CAMERA
LARIAT CHROME PACKAGE
(CHROME STEP BAR, CHROME POWER SIGNAL MIRRORS, 18" CHROME WHLS)
6 MONTHS SIRIUS SAT RADIO

$2,600 TOTAL OUT OF POCKET (PLUS PLATES ONLY)
$518.22 MONTH 36 MONTHS, 12,000 MILES PER YR.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I never like giving cash out of pocket. it's like giving money away in my opinion. The only time I put cash down on a car is if I'm buying the car outright, no financing. What's the sticker on the truck?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I never like giving cash out of pocket. it's like giving money away in my opinion. The only time I put cash down on a car is if I'm buying the car outright, no financing. What's the sticker on the truck?

It's not cash down, its so-called 'bank fees', taxes and first month.
(ETA: of course in reality it is cash down out of my pocket, but its not a down payment)

Not a single lease I looked at could get me out of that 2K-ish bank fee.

That was my screw up with acura.

the salesman CLEARLY said he could get me the TL-s for 500/mo 1st month up front for 3 months.  I checked again to make sure he meant a TOTAL of 18,000$.  he confirmed then the day came and there's the bank fee.

hell no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
just got a quote:

Expedition Lease 36mos

694 month
1000 down

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say go for it then. If you're happy with it, then i wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Sounds like you're set on the F150. I've had Tacoma's in the past and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. The Tundras are nice too, and get close to the same MPG as the Tacomas I think.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
no one?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
seems high what the hell is the bank fee is it some NY thing?

the dodge dealers around here are offering $269 a month on quad cab 4x4s for 36 with $3k down
dunno how the math works out but that's what the ads say
Ford dealer is doing about the same I think it was a little over $300
Chevy was $369 all were with 10% down so about 2.5-3K I would assume

what's the sticker on that truck as the ford dealer here  is doing 10K off and dodge is doing 1/2 price I think that's how they are offering such cheap lease rates

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
This also seems high to me.  It's a buyers market right now for F150's and for the down/monthly payment you quote, you could probably buy one outright.  How many month lease?  If I needed a new truck, I'd buy a Toyota, but that's just me.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It sounds from your previous posts you have no need for a truck, so why not get a very nice luxury car for similar money?

I drive a truck because I pull an enclosed racing trailer and go offroading. If I didn’t have to tow, I sure as hell wouldn’t be driving a heavy, body on frame vehicle, with a solid axle, leaf and helper springs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've leased three cars in the last 10 years, none of which required any money down. I demanded that the upfront cost be rolled into the monthly, so the $2k+ in fees seem strange to me.  The current lease, an '06 G35, costs me $499 a month for 39 months, 12k/annually.  Purchase price was $38k or so.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you sat in a Tundra? They are huge and very nice but the F-150 isn't bad either and I drove the current model for 4 years. You can't go wrong with either truck.

if ford doesn't accept my 2K all included up front inc frist month and 475/mo then I'm going tundra.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've leased three cars in the last 10 years, none of which required any money down. I demanded that the upfront cost be rolled into the monthly, so the $2k+ in fees seem strange to me.  The current lease, an '06 G35, costs me $499 a month for 39 months, 12k/annually.  Purchase price was $38k or so.

I agree.  dollars getting cheaper adn cheaper, pay more later less now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#14]
With truck prices at an all time low, why lease?

Do you like making payments on something you are not going to keep?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
With truck prices at an all time low, why lease?

Do you like making payments on something you are not going to keep?

Your question answers what you were asking.

If truck prices are dropping, why own it, with depreciation destroying any equity, when you can just rent for a while?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Most people lease because they cannot afford to buy.

With dealerships practically giving trucks away right now, why lease? If you look, deals can be had for about the same money. You are never going to get high equity in a new car anyway, but trucks are cheap right now across the board. It is a buyers market.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Around here dealers can't give trucks away. I just got a flyer for Dodge truck 38k list for 25k that's 13k off list. Those lease costs seem real high. Think the dealer is trying to stick it to you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I could never make house payments on a truck (not to mention the full-coverage insurance required on an expensive financed vehicle like that).  My wife has a 2WD '95 F150 Prerunner that I paid cash for.  Insurance is dirt cheap.  Once in a while I have to put a little money into it.  I have NEVER spent anything approaching $500 in any one month.  Heck, I don't know if I spend $500 a YEAR on it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got a better offer.

Lariat 4x4, big engine, black on black, step bars, backup video, leather, super crew

I think I can get it for 480/mo 1100$ total out of pocket including first month.

pics here

Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]
For the life of me I can NEVER see why anyone (outside someone who owns a business and uses the truck for his business) would want to RENT a truck. Of course you're never going to get the money you want out of a vehicle when you're done using it. I consider a vehicle a method of transportation, not an investment. If you want an investment, buy oil stock, by rare paintings, buy first edition books, but DON'T RENT A TRUCK! If you have so much disposable income that you feel the need to RENT a truck, feel free to send some of it my way. I'll put it to good use. If you still feel the need to rent a truck, try HERE
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#21]
IMHO, that's an awful price....

I leased one last fall...

XLT Super
5.4L FFV
4x4
Tow Pkg w/brake controller
Fogs
alloys
running boards
3.73 rearend, etc....

$381/month...nothing down.

You're proabably looking at $450 for your Lariat and other crap, if you really need all that. Doing without your Lariat pkg will drop you down a good $40-50/mo.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but....

Leasing, in my situation, is cheaper than buying it out. I've had this truck since September, I have 4,100 miles on it. I have already agreed to purchase the truck at the end of the lease for $16,700. At that point in time, I'll have a $37,000 truck that is three years old with MAYBE 15,000 miles on it. If you crunch your numbers, leasing then buying can be cheaper. In my case, I'll be saving $2,000-2,500 leasing over buying.

We also seem to trade up every 2 years or so. Leasing is a MUCH more viable option in this case, let's face it, these F150's don't hold enough residual to purchase it, then trade it away.

Keep working on em, they'll nearly give you that truck. I got mine for $500 over invoice. and got an extra $1500 over book for my trade.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]
i'm not buying a new car: i've decided that for sure.

I'm either buying a used low mileage luxury car or leasing a new one.

in terms of the lariat or not, I just want leather and a backup system and a good sound system and a step bar.  thats all.  I think it pays to get the lariat.

Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
As far as the sound system goes, you could have a full Infinity componet system installed for $800-1000. Now the leather, OTOH, will have to be gotten through the Lariat pkg.

Let us know what you decide. Pics are a must as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top