Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 9:43:04 PM EDT
Hey guys, who makes a good off-road tire?

I was planning on getting BFG AT's, but I don't want to spend $200 per tire.

Any other good tires that perform close to the BFG AT's?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What size are we talking about.
I have an 03 Dakota Quad Cab and just put 4 Firestone APT's on it at Sears about 6 mos ago. I paid like $60/ tire M+B incl'd.
ALso what kind of driving will you be doing most of the time. Mostly HWY or more for Dirt Flogging?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
... It's difficult citing financial constraints for compromising quality rubber on your truck

... I have been running BF Goodrich A/T on my 4X4's for literally decades (maintained various four wheeled vehicles continuously since 1976)

I say save a few more bucks for tires you can rely and trust you family on - get the BF Goodrich A/T if you want them
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my Bridgestone Revo's a lot.  They're generally cheaper than the BFG A/T's.  It really depends on how much off roading you're going to do, neither tire is ideal for exclusive off road use.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... It's difficult citing financial constraints for compromising quality rubber on your truck

... I have been running BF Goodrich A/T on my 4X4's for literally decades (maintained various four wheeled vehicles continuously since 1976)

I say save a few more bucks for tires you can rely and trust you family on - get the BF Goodrich A/T if you want them

I agree with WW.  I don't have decades of experience with BFG ATs, but I've run a number of different all terrain tires on a number of vehicles.  I feel that the BFGs have the best blend of on and off road performance.

Another thing to consider... The BFG ATs that are on my truck have a bit over 25k miles on them and they aren't quite to the halfway point, by my estimate.  I've run tires from other manufacturers that were in the dump by this time.  The upfront cost is a bit hefty, but when you don't buy tires for another 4 years you'll forget all about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually did a little offroading today and realize ill wait for the BFG AT's.

all I drive through offroad is some rocky dirt roads with semi-steep inclines. Some mild sand and such.

No rock crawling/mudding for me. :)

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I like BFGs mainly from my expereince they last forever as off road tires go
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been happy with the 35" BFG Mud T/A tires on my umbrella wife's 2WD F150 Pre-Runner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#8]
How do the AT Mud tires fare on the highway?

How many miles would you say they last her?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
MTs are going to be $20-$30 more per tire than the ATs, and you probably won't be happy with them on the highway without a really loud stereo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Noise doesn't really bother me, as long as the highway treadware is good on the mudders.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
MTs are going to be $20-$30 more per tire than the ATs, and you probably won't be happy with them on the highway without a really loud stereo.

The wet pavement and snow traction will probably be a bit less than the ATs, too.  They sure do look sweet, though.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like my Bridgestone Revo's a lot.  They're generally cheaper than the BFG A/T's.  It really depends on how much off roading you're going to do, neither tire is ideal for exclusive off road use.  

Big +1 on the Revo's. I have them on my silverado and I love them, not cheap but a great tire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top