Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 9:56:40 AM EDT
PROBLEM
My driver's side window is in the up position, and when I push on the switch the window won't go down.  The other three windows go up and down without a problem.  I do not hear any sound coming from the the driver's side door at all.  The only sound I hear is coming from the relay when I try to get the window moving.  I don't hear the relay when the other windows are working. I checked the fuses, no problem there. The relay works the other windows, so I don't think it is the relay.  When I apply a little downward pressure on the window and activate the switch nothing happens.

HELP
Before I take the door panel off and start tinkering around, I would like some specific advice to look for problem areas.    
I did a little search on line but found so many different rabbit trails, so I was just looking to narrow it down. The best way to check to window motor, regulator, or the switch is? Any help or links would be great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I’ll take a shot at this; you mentioned all the possible items that could be jacked up.  If you have a multi meter you could check the switch by removing the cluster from your door handle (I believe if pops up from the front, then pull forward to the front of the truck).  Set the multi meter to check continuity, disconnect the harness, place your leads on the points of the switch, and then operate the switch.  If you have continuity switch is fine.  You can do the same with the relay.  No dice there then you would have to take the door panel off.  A possible way to test the motor is take a long wire, connect it to the positive terminal of the battery, and make contact with the positive lead of the motor (careful here you may weld things together if you are not careful).  And for those of you out there that are going to bash me on my ideas, the disclaimer below is for you.

(Disclaimer: I am not a licensed mechanic of any sort, nor take responsibility for the actions or repairs you do to your vehicle)

Hope this helps,
D
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A quick and dirty trick would be, with the key on, get in, driver's door open, hold the window switch in the down position and slam the door shut.  Sometimes the windings in the motor will develop little opens or dead spots here and there, and a little "adjustment" will get them running again.  If this works, ultimately you'll have to replace the window motor to make things 100% right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked the switch, it's OK. Then I tried the slamming the door and that seemed to "jump-start" the window motor. I'll replace the motor when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
F-150 on-line forums

F-150 On-Line

Seems to be a not uncommon problem. Mine stopped working for a day but for some strange reason (thankfully) remedied itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top