Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 2:17:39 PM EDT
so anybody have anything on these?  i have my cruiser, and now i'm thinking i need something a bit on the sportier side of things also.  and no i dont want a sv

linkage
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my favorite, but it will work fine:

Here's 21 Sport Standards:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=695267
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer this over the 919:

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
wow
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The 919 was my dream bike for the first few years it was out.  I loved the flat black and grey color schemes.  Then they started with the burgundy and lime greens which made it look like barf.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.

The Speed Trip's advantages over the 919:

Aluminum frame
Brembo radial brakes
Braided stainless steel brake hoses
Fully adjustable suspension
Inverted forks
Single-sided swingarm
less weight
more power

The Speed Trip's disadvantages to the 919:

People will pester you for your autograph, because they'll think that you're the new star of the upcoming Mission Impossible IV movie.
Once you've heard the optional Arrow 3-into-1 full titanium accessory exhaust, you'll be willing to sell a kidney to get one for your bike.  And you may need to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.

The Speed Trip's advantages over the 919:

Brembo radial brakes
Fully adjustable suspension
Inverted forks
Single-sided swingarm
less weight
more power

The Speed Trip's disadvantages to the 919:

People will pester you for your autograph, because they'll think that you're the new star of the upcoming Mission Impossible IV movie.
Once you've heard the optional Arrow 3-into-1 full titanium accessory exhaust, you'll be willing to sell a kidney to get one for your bike.  And you may need to.

Stop posting this stuff unless you're going to buy me a Speed Triple.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a review of the bike:

Sport Rider 919 Review
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
They come in color too.  This one is in what appears to be kind of a candy tangerine color.  It is equipped with the dual Arrow titanium slip-on mufflers:

The office:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If you buy the orange it comes with a free handbag and a trip to a day spa.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
The Speed Triple gives me wood. I want it to be my next bike.

The 919 is a nice bike but seems like it was over priced for its middle of the road components. The motor is nice but I think everything else is just mediocre. I would definitely give one a try if I found a REALLY good deal on it. Its a pretty cool looking bike.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a NEW IMPROVED version of the old Honda HAWK. Anything HONDA u can't beat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a NEW IMPROVED version of the old Honda HAWK.

Are you high?

The 919 is an inline four cylinder engine in a tube steel frame with a conventional swingarm.  

The 650 Hawk was a V-twin engine in an aluminum frame with a single-sided swingarm.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Just remember what is high performance today is old news in a year or so when the next high speed low drag bike comes out!!! Honda may have missed the mark with the 919. I'm sure its a good bike, not the best and certainly not the worst. But I'll bet the motor on the 919 will be reliable and you could put thousands of trouble free miles on the bike. Personally if I had the money I wouldn't waste my time with any of the bikes posted so far. This would be my bike!!!

Oh, and they are owned by Harley now!!!!
All kidding aside, I've been looking at the 919 myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The speed triple is the sport standard by which all others should be measured.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The speed triple is the sport standard by which all others should be measured.

The Speed Trip and the Monster have both been defining motorcycles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks guys for the info.  it'll be a little while before i can afford another bike, but i'm trying to set up a dream sheet on what i want to be keeping my eyes out for.  i thought honda because of the reliability that i've always had with them.  but now that i've seem that speed triple, that could be up there in the final contention.  i just love the stripped down look of that sort of bike.  i dont like covering up all the mechanical stuff... must be why i'm a mechanic
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.bikez.com/pictures/triumph/2008/26511_0_5_3_speed%20triple_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/2008_Speed_Triple_1.jpg

Folks we have an impostor here.

Who are you and what did you do to KirkP?

-JTP
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.bikez.com/pictures/triumph/2008/26511_0_5_3_speed%20triple_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

-JTP

He didn't mention the SV650 because its not in the same league.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-JTP

Yup.

If someone asks a question to which the correct answer is a Sport Standard, but they qualify it by wanting to do it in the least expensive way, the SV650 is the only possible answer.

This guy was looking apparently looking for a full-powered Sport Standard, and mentioned nothing about money.  There are many bikes that will work for him.  He'd already mentioned the plainest, most vanilla bike, so thought I'd suggest something a little more spicy.  For his first real motorcycle, no need for an exotic, like the Aprilia Tuono Factory R, the MV Agusta Brutale 1078RR, the Ducati Monster S4RS Testastretta (like ten-ring's Tricolore), the Bimota DB6 Delirio, the KTM 990 Super Duke, or the Benelli Tornado Naked Tre 1130 Sport Evo.  I feel that the Speed Trip is an appropriate suggestion.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-JTP

Yup.

If someone asks a question to which the correct answer is a Sport Standard, but they qualify it by wanting to do it in the least expensive way, the SV650 is the only possible answer.

This guy was looking apparently looking for a full-powered Sport Standard, and mentioned nothing about money.  There are many bikes that will work for him.  He'd already mentioned the plainest, most vanilla bike, so thought I'd suggest something a little more spicy.  For his first real motorcycle, no need for an exotic, like the Aprilia Tuono Factory R, the MV Agusta Brutale 1078RR, the Ducati Monster S4RS Testastretta (like ten-ring's Tricolore), the Bimota DB6 Delirio, the KTM 990 Super Duke, or the Benelli Tornado Naked Tre 1130 Sport Evo.  I feel that the Speed Trip is an appropriate suggestion.  

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-JTP

Yup.

Indeed.

Dude, you're hardly objective. I suspect that you would have given this the thumb-up too:

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-JTP

Yup.

Indeed.

Dude, you're hardly objective. I suspect that you would have given this the thumb-up too:

www.bikez.com/pictures/triumph/2008/26522_0_5_3_street%20triple%20675_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Fanboys typically don't feel the need to be objective. With that said, I consider just about anything fast with a single sided swingarm to be cool.

While the street triple is amazing, I can really only recommend it if OP was looking for a bike cooler than a Honda 599. Since he mentioned the 919, I could only go with the speed triple. Since that card was played for me, I could only sit back and agree.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I consider just about anything fast with a single sided swingarm to be cool.

While the street triple is amazing, I can really only recommend it if OP was looking for a bike cooler than a Honda 599.

...or an SV650.

Since he mentioned the 919, I could only go with the speed triple. Since that card was played for me, I could only sit back and agree.

Yup.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top