Air in the brake lines?

Crack in the master cylinder?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
When were the brakes last worked on?
Rear pads or shoes?
Last adjustment?
Last time brake fluid was changed?

Could be bad fluid, an 8 year old car that has never had it changed could have pretty watery fluid. Multiple stops and goes in rapid order could cause steam to form near the calipers or wheel cylinders.

Rear shoes miss adjusted or not adjusted at all could cause the brakes to go to the floor first time then work fine with multiple pumps, then go back to being bad again after letting off the pedal for a while.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Water/air in fluid?

Master/Slave cylinder?

Would first flush the fluid through all 4 lines and see if it happens again.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats definately not a good place to put it.  Ruins the product, and messes up the brakes also.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats definately not a good place to put it.  Ruins the product, and messes up the brakes also.  

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
proportioning valve could be bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
bleed the brakes, eliminates possible water in brake lines option, puts fresh brake fluid in the system, as you squirt or try to squirt the old brake fluid out you'll determine if the individual brake pistons are working.  But 8 year fluid is bad ju-ju.  Is the fluid in the master cylinder chocolate brown?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#9]
This is one of those things where the symptom (no brake pressure) can have multiple causes.   Probably one of the most common cause is the brake master cylinder internal seal being torn or ripped, so when you step on the brakes, the brake fluid goes past the seals instead of pushing the brake pistons.  The master brake cylinder is like a squirt gun on steroids or a giant syringe that just squirts fluid
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just took it into the shop.  I know NOTHING about fixing brakes, other than changing pads.  Since it's not my car, I'm not going to fuck around with somebody else's brakes when I'm clueless.

They'll let me know in the morning what the problem is, but hearing some ideas from you guys helps me know if they're FOS or not.

Let us know what they say and how much they are charging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top