Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 7:33:32 AM EDT
Okay so we've had our new 08 Tundra fully loaded for an incredible 2 days now before some slimeball from the apartment complex dents our rear bumper. The dent isn't that big but it is definitely noticeable.

I know it's almost impossible to knock out a dent in a chrome bumper and make it look like it used to, so does anyone have any other solutions or encountered the same problem  before?

I'd rather try to fix it myself than pay $1000 for a brand new bumper and get it blasted/repainted. I've heard a few people say that placing a block of wood on the outside and knocking out the dent from inside will even it out and make it less wavy, but other than that it's replace the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome bumpers are too thick for the usual paintless dent removal methods.  Beating it from the inside may leave more external bumps from each strike or even flake the chrome.  I had a dent on my truck bumper that I fixed before giving it back to the dealer.  Involved some work and wasn't perfect but good enough.  I removed the whole bumper and stuck it in a large hydraulic shop press backed up by wood.  I used a round aluminum bar stock to press the dent back out from the inside.  You could definately tell there was a dent still but it was better than looking at a dent itself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
a new chrome bumper should be in the 250-350 dollar range, not 1k. they are easily changed with some hand tools.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top