Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:26:07 PM EDT
Just because Rossi doesn't have them on his M1 doesn't mean you should replace them with little chrome plates.

Now I get an eyeball full of elbow any time I glance in mine (if sitting up, I see the horizon or sky if I'm tucked in), but I can just tuck my elbow in real quick to get a glance of the cars around me. Granted I still usually do a headcheck in addition to this, because of the massive blind spots, but the mirrors are extremely helpful.

I noticed that if you multiple the square inches of polished aluminum/chrome by the number of fasteners which have been replaced by spikes, then multiply this quantity by the number of skulls or Icon stickers (and then normalize this quantity), you have a rough approximation as to the likelihood that the bike will be missing its mirrors.

On a side note, I did see one guy on a Night Rod that had his mirrors turned down. This actually seemed pretty neat and wouldn't really hurt anything.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have mirrors on mine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
... "Head on a swivel"
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On a side note, I did see one guy on a Night Rod that had his mirrors turned down. This actually seemed pretty neat and wouldn't really hurt anything.

I thought about trying this because as they sit right now I really cant see shit out of them. If I play with them I can kind of see behind me with the left mirror but not very well.
If I were rich I would rig up a rear looking camera with a heads up display in my glasses that I could turn on and off
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
One reason in some cases is because some folks do a lot of track days and rather than keep on taping the mirrors every weekend and then having to clean the tape gunk off when they're done, they just leave the mirrors off.

(you have to either tape all glass or remove it before going on most tracks),
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One reason in some cases is because some folks do a lot of track days and rather than keep on taping the mirrors every weekend and then having to clean the tape gunk off when they're done, they just leave the mirrors off.

It's 1 bolt per mirror on my GSXR, how many on yours?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Most squids do it because they think it looks cool, and so that they can play the martyr when being hassled by the man.

To me, it's a standard part of track prep.  Mirrors are not allowed on the race track.  The stock ones will break your upper fairing and your fairing stay if you throw the bike on the ground.  I remove the stock mirrors and use a single plastic zip-wrap through the mirror mounting holes to hold the upper fairing to the fairing stay.

The stock mirrors on my bike (like most) suck.  Since I'm used to riding without them, it's no big deal to me.  I have some little token convex mirrors that I stick just inside the corners of my fairing upper, but mostly I just run one Napolean mirror on the left, in place of one bar-end slider.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is behind you then it doesn't matter
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That was my first thought, but most I see have this theme to them (not usually quite so radical but in the same direction).
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine have the front turn signals integrated into them so they are still in place.  I don't trust mirrors though.  I will use them in conjunction with head checks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my first thought, but most I see have this theme to them (not usually quite so radical but in the same direction).

That looks like somebody vomited on a Hayabusa.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That looks like somebody vomited on a Hayabusa.

Can I get a Lorcin or a Jennings in Hard Chrome to match that?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 1 bolt per mirror on my GSXR, how many on yours?

I honestly can't remember. It's been that long since I took the mirrors off my gsxr.

But I haven't had _any_ street stuff on my bike in quite a while. It's been in race bodywork for quite a while now. I'm planning to do some street riding before long though (when I can get some time), and I'll put the mirrors back on when I do.

I made the above statement based on some older bikes I've had in years past that were sort of a pain to deal with when switching things around. I'm just gonna assume that there are other folks out there who don't feel like fiddling with it in those cases.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That thing hurts to look at.

I guess for some people it must just be "cool" then. Who knows?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine are self removing....

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep putting them on my XRL, and nature keeps taking them off.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I keep putting them on my XRL, and nature keeps taking them off.

my old dr has no mirrors or rear blinkers left.  got so sick of resoldering blinkers.  trying to keep the xrl in one piece to ride to work.  maybe try those flip down ones.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Most are street squids.

Maybe they're after the 1-3mph on the top end that they're losing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top