Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2008 4:10:47 PM EDT
Ive got a pretty good idea for something, but would need it made/fabricated. Can send pic thru IM (dont want to give away any secrets yet). lol. Basically I need a place to put some speakers, size of speaker is irrelevant. It would be mounted on a Flat plane, no curves or weird angles to form around.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
i've done a lot of custom boxes (including the "one off" boxes i designed for my truck), but nothing with fiberglass.  are you just looking for a custom enclosure, or are you wanting it to be made from fiberglass as well?

SM

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Im basically wanting to add speakers to a flat surface, there is no room BEHIND this surface, so something would have to be built on that surface. If you have ever seen the rear speakers in a Jeep CHerokee, they are built into the headliner in the back, that is essentially what I want.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
why yes i have seen the jeeps like that.  I know what you're looking for now.  the question is, is this enclosure going to be mounted from the top of top of something like they are in the jeep? or are they going to mounted to the bottom and stick up.  if coming down from the top, i'd have to agree that fiberglass may be your best bet as it is much lighter than say a box made from MDF.  but if it was just needing to "sit" on top of said flat surface, then you may be able to make something up out of wood.

sounds like a cool project.

SM
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They will be mounted above and speakers pointing down. They wouldnt be super heavy speakers, something lightweight. There is plenty of mounting area as well. its just a matter of handforming some fiberglass to the plate or just the dimensions. The plate that itll be mounted to is rectangler, So either a speaker encloser could be a stand alone piece that would mount to the rectangle factory part or it could replace the factory part or what not. I wouldnt know what would be easier and look the best.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a lot of fiberglass boat work a while back. Always wanted to make some custom molded speaker enclosures and amp racks for my car. All that is really holding me back is the tools like an air compressor, air brush, sander, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done it before,  but only things laying in the trunk or the sides,  nothing upside down.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not big on giving away fabrication secrets, but you seem ok

anyway, it's fairly simple.

1. cut out out overall shape(bottom board)
2. make baffles that speakers mount to
3. elevate speaker baffles and secure above rear board creating clearance, using appropriate spacers(wood) you can also aim speakers where you need to
4. stretch fleece over entire front of board over angled/elevated baffles, pull tight and secure on back of rear board with staples
5. use polyester resin painted over, and saturating fleece
6. when resin cures, cut out speaker holes
7. reinforce fleece with more resin and fiberglass cloth until strong enough
8 sand, fill, and fair as with normal body work to prepare for finish

there are a few steps, and it is easier to see it done first, but I fabricate stuff like this all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]
What and where are you putting it into? You do know the rear sound bar in the Cherokee is removable and would bolt/screw right into most vehicles, right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What and where are you putting it into? You do know the rear sound bar in the Cherokee is removable and would bolt/screw right into most vehicles, right?

thought it was all built into headliner
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, rear sound bar in the Cherokee is a seperate item. Can be ordered new or hit up a salvage yard. I think its either 6.5 or 5.5 speakers, can't remember which.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope, rear sound bar in the Cherokee is a seperate item. Can be ordered new or hit up a salvage yard. I think its either 6.5 or 5.5 speakers, can't remember which.

hmmm ill have to check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top