Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2008 7:43:08 PM EDT
Anyone got one of these?  One of the folks I work with has some medical issues and is selling his.  I've decided to buy it but wanted to know how folks like theirs.

This is NOT his bike, but is very similar

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I am pretty much an airhead kind of guy, lots of people in my club have been riding the oilheads and really like them. These bikes are meant to be ridden, and the German engineering is superb but must be maintained - but with proper maintenance, they will run for a very long time. My next bike will probably be one from this line. The nice thing about the boxer engine is that they are balanced, which means they run smoothly... you don't get that sexy (to some) rumble the Harleys make, but then again, you can ride one of these Beemers for hundreds of miles and still be able to walk upright when you reach your destination. The BMW bikes aren't your run of the mill ride, though, you should look into the bikes and the beemer riding culture and see if it's what you want.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They are a unique bike.

They are heavy.

They are not fast.

They are expensive.  

The front end has an anti-dive quality that is a function of it's design, which sounds cool, until you ride one and realize that it also eliminates all front end feel.

I have to wonder if the shaft drive allows enough backlash in the drivetrain to perform smooth clutchless upshifts?

Although it should be capable of doing track days, the rocker covers limit ground clearance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The heads do NOT make for good frame sliders.  

After seeing one of these below... drop a gear and pull like a rocket to about 130 on the highway next to me, that'd be the BMW I'd choose. Being said.  Most of the BMW's with maintenance will outlast their 4 wheeled brothers.  60,000 miles on a BMW bike is nothing.

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1150R Rockster.

They are a great standard bike, they do nothing great but do everything well.

Like most BMWs if you are not 6' or taller you won't have both heels on the ground at a stop. Properly maintained they can go for hundreds of thousands of miles. At the BMW ralley I went to last year there were several with 300k+ on the original engine.

Under 20mph is shows its weight, over 70mph I wish it had a better wind screen.

After-market stuff is expensive and so are replacement parts, luckily they are engineered well so you probably won't have any major repairs until you reach 100,000 miles.

The dual spark engines run better, changed sometime in 03-04, the single sparks tend to load up at lower RPMs. If it has ABS it takes some getting used to, it's servo assisted and imho overly complex, mine does NOT have it and I'm happy about that. Heated grips FTW, most beamers have them.

Things I've learned:

The engine has a alot of torque so you'll be tempted to lug it around at 2300rpm. Don't, 6th gear shouldn't be used under 70mph and try to keep it above 3000rpm, cruising around at 4-5k is perfectly fine and you can do it all day, the engineer who designed this engine said so.

Tires make all the difference, The bike was night and day better once I put Pirelli Diablo Stradas on. Buy these for you next set, thank me later.

Any Questions just ask.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought it and just picked it up.  Rode it about 30 miles home and love it.  I'm a relatively new rider so I'm really amazed at how smooth it is compared to the Virago 750 I've been riding a couple times a month for the past year.

It is an absolutely beautiful bike.  I don't think i've ever seen one so pretty and its perfect for what I need.  I'm 6'5 so it actually seems to fit me really well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Great.

Now go read TOTW II from cover to cover until it makes sense to you, and then go sign up for a track day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
TOTW II?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought it and just picked it up.  Rode it about 30 miles home and love it.  I'm a relatively new rider so I'm really amazed at how smooth it is compared to the Virago 750 I've been riding a couple times a month for the past year.

It is an absolutely beautiful bike.  I don't think i've ever seen one so pretty and its perfect for what I need.  I'm 6'5 so it actually seems to fit me really well.

I don't know if anyone else has ever referred to the beakster as beautiful bike but whatever, Long Live The Beak .

If you want it to sound better on the cheap you can just take the muffler off. I made a movie two years ago for another forum: Quicktime Video. I didn't care for it so I got a full exhaust and cat delete.

-JTP

ETA pic for kirkp, this is not me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the actual bike...

A few of the extras... Detachable hard bags, Sargeant seat, the helmet, heated handgrips...

3,400 miles, always garaged, never driven in rain... $6k  
It belonged to a coworker who had some medical issues and can't ride anymore... Talk about a steal.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice bike and well bought.

Check outwww.bmwmoa.org.  The magazine is worth the membership fee for tech and touring articles.  Also has all the info on local and national rallies if you are in to that.  

Enjoy the bike.
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They are a unique bike.
Yep.

They are heavy.
No, these are not race bikes, they are made to cover miles in the real world.

They are not fast.
How fast do you really need to go? (See "real world," above)

They are expensive.  
Yes, but a BMW will be here after you'd have used up three or four rice-burners. Several hundred thousand miles on a BMW is not unusual. Can your crotch-rocket claim that kind of staying power?

The front end has an anti-dive quality that is a function of it's design, which sounds cool, until you ride one and realize that it also eliminates all front end feel.
Anti-dive serves a real purpose, and as everything else in the real world, involves a trade-off. But "eliminates all front end feel" gives me the impression that your sense of feel isn't very acute.

I have to wonder if the shaft drive allows enough backlash in the drivetrain to perform smooth clutchless upshifts?
If clutchless upshifts are a big concern for you, then you shouldn't be weighing in on the merits of BMWs, which aren't designed for wannabee drag-squids, but for grownups.

Although it should be capable of doing track days, the rocker covers limit ground clearance.Again, see "grownups" and "real world," above.

Link Posted: 5/1/2008 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for taking KirkP up on his post, but I would like to interject that "Rice Burners" will actually go as long as a BMW in the mileage department. The difference is that Japanese motorcycles go thru more owners and as a result are crashed and totalled sooner than BMW's.

Not very many BMW's make 200,000 miles either, by hook or by crook. God help your wallet when you need service...
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I have no desire for a "go fast" bike.  I really wanted something for cruising/touring.  I drive about 100 miles most Fridays and most Sundays to go see my best friend, and having a motorcycle to do that just seemed like fun.  He's got a bike too so Saturday rides are always a possibility.  I wanted something comfortable with saddlebags, etc that I could put clothes for a weekend trip in.  This deal popped up, and I couldn't turn it down!  

On a side note, the title for a 94 Yamaha Virago 750 that I bought from another friend last year finally arrived.  Its got 17000 miles, but he got hired by Jet Blue and was moving so he sold it to me for $750.  Needs a little bit of cosmetic work, but it runs great!  Its got a minor electrical problem - the battery drains if left connected for too long, so I just disconnect it when I'm not driving it.  Its fine to leave on while I go in a restaurant or something, but for more than a couple days, I take the terminals off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Great bike, and you really got a deal.

But please -- try to find a better background for your next photograph.  Something other than an old toilet and a blue tarp.  Ugh!  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#16]
sounds like an ok deal.

personally, I'm holding out for a K1200 series bike
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a very nice bike. I looked really hard at beamers before I bought my bike. Very cool sir!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Although it should be capable of doing track days, the rocker covers limit ground clearance.Again, see "grownups" and "real world," above.

If track days are not for grownups then consider me forever young.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice bike. Ride safe!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a 2004 or 2005. If it has the linked ABS brakes, you need to be very careful about using the brakes during low-speed maneuvering (parking lots, etc.) The servo-assisted brakes can be very grabby, and if you've got the front wheel turned a lot, they can put you in an awkward position.

It's not a design flaw ... it's a feature!

By all means, get yourself over to bmwmoa.org and join. Lots of helpful folks there!

Enjoy your new ride!

PS - Get a new helmet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine's an R1150RT (the touring version with all the bags and a fairing), and you just bought yourself a fine motorcycle!

Keep up the maintenance, and keep her upright and it'll last as long as you.  Enjoy!

Just don't skimp on gear! :)  

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A few of the extras... Detachable hard bags, Sargeant seat, the helmet, heated handgrips...

3,400 miles, always garaged, never driven in rain... $6k  
It belonged to a coworker who had some medical issues and can't ride anymore... Talk about a steal.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2411004199_2f3d76c7cd_b.jpg

Great find!  Terrific daily bikes Beemers make.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#23]
well, I've put about 1500 miles on it since I got it... What a joy to ride.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They are a unique bike.

They are heavy.

They are not fast.

They are expensive.  

Although it should be capable of doing track days, the rocker covers limit ground clearance.

Track days??  

Its an awesome bike for what it was designed for.  Riding around town looking great, or with a few accessories riding across the country.  

www.r1150r.net is the arfcom of these bikes, check it out.

KirkP, we don't all want race bikes, and you are the only person I've ever seen that judges EVERY bike out there by its track potential or performance.  It makes as much sense as me judging a minivan on its offroad ability, because I'm a Jeep enthusiast.

BTW, after reading the rest of the thread, great bike, pretty good on price, I hope you enjoy the hell out of it.  I spent several years lusting for one, and would still get one at the right price, but now I'm lusting much harder for an R1200GS, and it will be a long time before they reach my definition of affordable.  Ride safe!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are a unique bike.

They are heavy.

They are not fast.

They are expensive.  

Track days??  

Its an awesome bike for what it was designed for.  Riding around town looking great, or with a few accessories riding across the country.  

www.r1150r.net is the arfcom of these bikes, check it out.

KirkP, we don't all want race bikes, and you are the only person I've ever seen that judges EVERY bike out there by its track potential or performance.  It makes as much sense as me judging a minivan on its offroad ability, because I'm a Jeep enthusiast.

BTW, after reading the rest of the thread, great bike, pretty good on price, I hope you enjoy the hell out of it.  I spent several years lusting for one, and would still get one at the right price, but now I'm lusting much harder for an R1200GS, and it will be a long time before they reach my definition of affordable.  Ride safe!

I don't know, I just got done with my R at Road America. The only problem I had was Road A is a really really fast track and the R loses steam at 115-120mph, other then the two big straits it did just fine.
Pic for proof:

-JTP
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
She's a beauty.  Now take a motorcycle riders safety course asap!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice acquisition, be safe and enjoy it where ever you ride.

1*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top