Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2008 4:10:37 PM EDT
Hi.
98 Corolla with 120K on it.

Just got new tires, and I'm noticing that between 65-75 mph there is a great deal of vibration through the steering column.  The entire car isn't realy shaking.

I have no idea what is causing this - do I need a front end alignment, did the shop monkeys not balance my wheels properly, something else?

Thanks.  I've got to keep this on the road for a while longer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Reciently our 95 corolla had a similar problem, turned out it needed new tie rods.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Toyota wheels are lug-centric and as such require a special lug-centric fixture to be properly balanced on a cone-type balancing machine, as the wheel center hole may not be exactly centered on the lug center point.

My Tundra was sensitive to the type of balancer used.  Best seems to be the Hunter 9700
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Reciently our 95 corolla had a similar problem, turned out it needed new tie rods.

Hmm.  Thanks.  If you don't mind, what is the ballpark on something like that?

Beerme - good to know, thanks.  I think I need to call the shop and see what they'll admit to, and maybe take it somewhere else?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Way out of date, but the monkeys who put new tires on crimped on over four times the correct mass of wheel weights.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
For some reason, this doesn't surprise me.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
if Toyotas brake rotors are anything like GMs you have to be very careful not to over torque the lug nuts. This problem is very prominent with Late model products as the rotors are exttremely sensitive (read weak) to the torque applied when reinstalling the wheel.  If this is your issue you may be able to alleviate at least some of the vibration by loosening all the lugs and carefully retighten them in a criss-cross pattern to the proper torque. This helped mind slightly but ultimately I just replaced my rotors with a pair of $44 Wagner rotors and now front end is perfectly smooth.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
JFP - thank you, I didn't know that.

Does that equate to 'I'm fucked'?

Also. it sounds like I'm going to need new pads soon, and I don't have a lift in this state.  Is there any chain that does a better job than others, or just go to Joe's gas & bait, and watch?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi.

Just got new tires, and I'm noticing that between 65-75 mph there is a great deal of vibration through the steering column.  The entire car isn't realy shaking.

<deleted text>

Using my logic  - IF  the problem did not exist BEFORE new tires then the tires are the problem.. As pointed out maybe they overtightened the lug nuts OR maybe a tire was not balanced Or maybe you have a bad tire it is out of round.. I would take it back to the tire dealer and let them fix it..

If the problem existed before the new tires them I could see that it may be tie rods..

Brian
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi.

<deleted text>

Using my logic  - IF  the problem did not exist BEFORE new tires then the tires are the problem.. As pointed out maybe they overtightened the lug nuts OR maybe a tire was not balanced Or maybe you have a bad tire it is out of round.. I would take it back to the tire dealer and let them fix it..

If the problem existed before the new tires them I could see that it may be tie rods..

Brian

Thank you for your contribution, Brian; however, the problem was wildly excessive quantities of wheel weights.  Not only not balanced, but all fucked up.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top