Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 9:32:22 AM EDT
How often should headlights be changed on a vehicle?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
As often as they burn out?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should have asked it this way: do headlights ever fade and get dimmer, or do they just burn out completely?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess I should have asked it this way: do headlights ever fade and get dimmer, or do they just burn out completely?
In my experience they just die or they get broken.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they just burn out completely
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The bulbs do get dimmer as they get older, but they usually burn out by then...thsi was pretty common with sealed beams.  More than likely is the lense gets cloudy, tinted or scratched as it gets old...this was actually one of the US DOT's arguments for keeping sealed beams as the only approved lamp back in the early early 80s.  The reflector too ages and stops working as well as it did when new.

When changing out the bulbs, since you're in there might as well change both bulbs.

mm
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I just have some Hun Farm red dirt clouding up my headlights...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What car and what type of headlights?
Halogens: 500-1000 hours of operation
HID's: 2500-5000 hours of operation (or until they turn pink and/or flicker rapidly).
LED's: Ask your grandchildren if they're still driving it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What car and what type of headlights?
Halogens: 500-1000 hours of operation
HID's: 2500-5000 hours of operation (or until they turn pink and/or flicker rapidly).
LED's: Ask your grandchildren if they're still driving it.

1997 Toyota Camry. I've never changed the headlights, so whatever came from the factory back then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top