Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:56:07 AM EDT
I need an SUV and want something 4x4 and dependable and most importantly under about $4k. What do you think about these vehicles? Anything I need to know?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ih8mud.com

There's a "Cost of Ownership" thread that should be some good reading for you:

forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=124556

$4k is not alot of money when it comes to these vehicles, and that might put you in the FJ62 ('88-90) or  FJ80 ('91-92) range, rather than the FZJ80 ('93-97).  Different motors, different trannies, but i believe they are all AT.  Be prepared for 10-15 mpg.

I have a '96 and it's a great truck. With that said, it's 12 years old, and you will need to (or should) spend a few bucks to 'baseline' the vehicle--fluids, brakes, gaskets, hoses, etc., depending on previous owner's maintenance discipline.  Lots of guys on that site tend to do A LOT of preventative maintenance, and you can spend some cash.

This may sound like I'm dissuading you; quite the contrary.  These things are all over the world, and as such, have an almost endless amount of aftermarket goodies--turbos, blowers, lifts, lockers, drawers, roof tents, shower kits, dual batteries, on board air....
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.ih8mud.com

There's a "Cost of Ownership" thread that should be some good reading for you:

forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=124556

$4k is not alot of money, and that might put you in the FJ62 ('88-90) or  FJ80 ('91-92) range, rather than the FZJ80 ('93-97).  Different motors, different trannies, but i believe they are all AT.  

I have a '96 and it's a great truck. With that said, it's 12 years old, and you will need to (or should) spend a few bucks to 'baseline' the vehicle--fluids, brakes, gaskets, hoses, etc., depending on previous owner's maintenance discipline.  Lots of guys on that site tend to do A LOT of preventative maintenance, and you can spend some cash.

FJ60 had 4 spd manual - if ya want you can still get a 5spd H55 factory fresh through Toyota Parts - bolts right in.

+1 on IHMUD

They are great trucks, - your price will limit you to pretty rough (ok crap) 80s. Maybe not. $4k wont get you a sparkling FJ60/62 but perhaps pretty serviceable if you're diligent. MUD has lots of info - but I think your best off buying as good an example as you can (meaning a couple grand more for a low mile enthusiast owned vehicle is often a better bargain than a beater).

Drive a FJ60/62. They are fairly basic and very much a truck - a bit slow, expect 15mpg tops.

80s are more comfortable and better road mannered, esp later models (FZJ) and freeway. Slee's got some good info on his site - but dont think you could get into a good one less the $5-6k -

Hey maybe not - pre-93 seem reasonable FJ80

Both are pretty durable and reliable - but do a PPI with a good shop. Theres some expensive issues that can creep up.

Are you around Eugene? If so might know a guy who can help ya.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
be prepared...or rather warned.
these are not just trucks, they become a life style.
strangers on the street will stop you and say "hi" then want to talk about your ride.
once you have one, you'll want more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys, I've got a line on several FJ80s around here for around the $4k mark. I'm just looking for something to drive with the dogs and wife into the mountains and out hunting with. My truck is great but gas mileage is killing me these days. Believe it or not the FJ will be a step up.

If/When I do decide to purchase I will certainly have a PPI done and have all fluids changed out to synthetics. I didn't realize these vehicles had such a strong following, its nice to have forums out there dedicated to them.

Since it won't be my daily driver and I am shopping the lower end price range, what one thing would you look out for most?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys, I've got a line on several FJ80s around here for around the $4k mark.

Not to be nitpicky, but the FJ80 refers to the 91-92 trucks with the 3FE motor. FZJ80 93-97 uses the 1FZ.  You will probably notice a big difference when you test drive them.  There was also a tranny change from 94-95 i believe, so there is a subjective vibe on 'mud that the 93s and 94s are good years to get.  The 442 (?) tranny supposedly was used for small busses in Japan. The full list of differences can be found here:

sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Featurewise, people look for factory lockers. The switch is located at about 4'oclock of the steering wheel.  The switch will look like this  Then, you need to test to make sure they work.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They are great trucks, - your price will limit you to pretty rough (ok crap) 80s. Maybe not. $4k wont get you a sparkling FJ60/62 but perhaps pretty serviceable if you're diligent.  

$1500

another $1500 later...

i'm sure the 3F-E is nice, but it does'nt have anything on the mighy 2F.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys, I've got a line on several FJ80s around here for around the $4k mark.

Not to be nitpicky, but the FJ80 refers to the 91-92 trucks with the 3FE motor. FZJ80 93-97 uses the 1FZ.  You will probably notice a big difference when you test drive them.  There was also a tranny change from 94-95 i believe, so there is a subjective vibe on 'mud that the 93s and 94s are good years to get.  The 442 (?) tranny supposedly was used for small busses in Japan. The full list of differences can be found here:

sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Featurewise, people look for factory lockers. The switch is located at about 4'oclock of the steering wheel.  The switch will look like this  Then, you need to test to make sure they work.  

Nitpicky-ness appreciated! Thanks for the pic too of the diff lock. It looks like it might be worth an extra coupla thousand to get a 93-94 with lockers, though I don't know if I'll ever need them. Like always though, better to have and not need than...

I can pay $4k out of pocket no problem but anymore and I'll have to consider waiting a while to save up....hmm....this sucks, I really got the bug now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Brian45 -

Very nice truck - much cancer? -or not a PA driver Used to live in Reading - swear PA must use homing salt or somthing.  How many miles?

Ziess - Ownership is pretty much a cult. Like the Adkins diet, it aint entirely good for you - but you cant tell until its too late, then you dont care - least you look good until the end.

Chiz - Ahh the "Coaster" slushbox. A442F was -'95, then the A343F through the first couple years of the UZJ100. Bigger pissin match then 9mm/45 etc. Neither seem to have much over the other - both have some frailties but dont have near the issues engines do - just make sure they've been serviced as required.

80s - Pay close attn to the head gaskets - per Saint Christo. Some are flawless forever - others develop trouble - normally not before 100k tho. R&R Headgasket eliminates the issue IF you think you have a problem. In general engines seem to have avg lifespan of 250k-300k - more or less. Figure some serious work about there - theres plenty on either side so only avg.

Make sure the cooling system isnt junked up - I think the cause in the later trucks - 96+ - is the attenuated cooling passages in the head (increase heat to help meet emission - common mfg strategy due to EPA reqs late 90s). But the design might just be prone. Can also cause some sludging - but not as common as other Toyota engines.

Other spot is RMS - if it leaks - keep an eye on your oil level - I wouldn't bother fixin it - PITA. .

Couple of other things - minor - check MUD, enough collective experience there its all been sorted - but least you know where they are. With 100s its the exhause manis, starter contacts and pre-03 eats brakes - really cant think of much issue with th 60s. HG and Carbs about it, but never messed with them much.

Post some pics - and dont pay extra for E-lockers (if the PO dont know, dont tell him ). If 80s are that cheap now....hell I got too many trucks already, but its very tempting.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Brian45 -

Very nice truck - much cancer? -or not a PA driver Used to live in Reading - swear PA must use homing salt or somthing.  How many miles?

not much at all on the sheetmetal, but the frame was hairy around the tank and on back.

i'm in lebanon, the truck was from the area.
it's my DD.

i've been on the hunt for an 80 as well. i'd like an aniversary edition...to go with the 20th and 30th i already have
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's my 60- ETA: purchased from a IH8MUD member

90k original miles, no rust I love it but I wish it had a factory third row seat. I average about 14-15 MPG and drive slow and easy. The canoe rack is probably going to turn into to a more all-purpose type rack next spring

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Scratch that, deal fell through...too many miles.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Looks like I might be buying a '91 FJ80 with 318k miles on it for $2500. .

front axle overhaul, almost certainly will in order on that one.
not a bad job, but expensive if you don't do it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

90k original miles, no rust I love it but I wish it had a factory third row seat. I average about 14-15 MPG and drive slow and easy. The canoe rack is probably going to turn into to a more all-purpose type rack next spring

img90.imageshack.us/img90/2163/1028071728hu1.jpg

Nice Look - Bedliner on the lower body?

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img90.imageshack.us/img90/2163/1028071728hu1.jpg

Nice Look - Bedliner on the lower body?

Luck
Alac

Thanks, previous owner had the bedliner sprayed on. The guy that sprayed it adjusted the mixture so it's not quite as rough as it would be in a truck bed. Not completely smooth, it still has some tooth to it. Not to mention it's good protection and real easy to clean.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had two a 1997 80 series and I presently drive a 1999 100 series.  

Best vehicles ever made.  Will last forever if taken care of.  a good 80 will run around 8-10 thousand here in arkansas.

Next purchase is a 70's 40 series.

Batman
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife would love a 100, and we've looked at '04 and '05s.  I am resisting, as i can't see how i would leave it stock, and ultimately neglect my 80!!

Quoted:
I have had two a 1997 80 series and I presently drive a 1999 100 series.  

Best vehicles ever made.  Will last forever if taken care of.  a good 80 will run around 8-10 thousand here in arkansas.

Next purchase is a 70's 40 series.

Batman
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, whichever you pick will be awesome.  From rusty to restored.

I have a 66 through 78 FJ-40 with a vortec and 1 tons.  its still an FJ-40 to me though.

Love my 89 FJ-62.  As soon as the auto dies, its getting an H55.

Toyotas are pretty much it for SUV's, trucks in my opinion.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top