Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:50:16 AM EDT
Okay guys....I'm in the process of getting everything lined out to get some serious power out of my '69 Mustang.

Right now I'm ordering a cage, harnesses, subframe connectors, lower gears for the 9", 17X9.5 TTII's for the rear (I have 17X8's in the rear now), Either MT or Hoosier 275 DR's, Aeromotive A1000 pump, regulator, and fuel lines, blow through carb, etc.

Now here's where it gets interesting.  Right now I'm rollin w/ a 306 w/ a nodular crank and hyper pistons.  CR is 9.5:1 .  HP/TQ levels are right around 350 each right now.  

I don't wanna go the route of just beefing up the internals on a stock block b/c either way the block will crack if I get anywhere above 500 hp IMO.  So I'm thinking of either going w/ an A4, Dart, R302, or the new Boss block.  Getting forged internals w/ a CR of around 8.7 or so.  Then throwing my Edelbrock performer intake and heads on there (both aluminum), using my cam (F303....good for turbo apps) and taking it from there.

Then the turbo comes into play.  I'm going w/ a T-70 .96 single w/ an air to air IC unit.  This will be street driven more than on the track but the goal is around mid 10's in the 1/4.  

In the end I wanna run water/meth/alky injection by mounting it in the trunk and having it activate at a certain boost.  Have any of you guys ran one of these?  

Basically it allows you to pull more timing and boost due to it cooling the inlet charges and therefore overall having a cooler running motor.  

AIS has a pretty neat setup for around $400 that is trunk mounted and then the 1.5 gallon tank is another $100.  I've heard the cons of using just window washer fluid and would definitely go w/ a 50/50 mix of water and meth so I know what I'm getting.  Also I want the larger reservoir so I wouldn't run the tank dry and then have my motor go FUBAR.

I realize I've added a lot of info to this but just wondering if anyone has done the injection system.  I've been reading a lot on turbomustangs.com and they have a lot of good info.  Just wanted to see what the gang here says.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
seems to me you could run an intercooled hairdryer set up and go tens easy. traction will be your enemy and thats a good thing.

those little 302's can handle a lot of power from what i have seen.  if your gonna buy new intenals why not look at  a 347 crank. scat and eagle make them. i am a chevy guy so i have limited knowlegde on the blue ovals.  but a studded and or splayed mains would help. a lot is gonna depend on if you spin the thing to the moon or not. i run a sbc 400ci stroked to a 427. i am running studded mains with a 1/2 fill in the block. i shift at 6400 so i have all the confidence in the world in the little stocker gm block is gonna hold up. i too run forged internals. naturally i woulda loved to run a dart little m or a world products block but with my shift points being where i wanted them i didnt see the need.

it just seems easier to me with what your trying to do with a good intercooled turbo/efi set up or an intercooled procharger efi setup for street use. if you want to hit the 1320 and runs gobs of boost then i would water inject. i know with properly set up sbc(small block chevys) with either hair dryers or prochargers 10's are not too difficult. again anytime you put down 500 rwh traction becomes  big concern.

have you cruised over at protouring.com  those guys are nutty in there builds.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for chiming in.

I'm not worried about hooking up.  I've been on a few drag teams and know how to make classic mustangs hook.  I would probably be launching at around 5-6lbs of boost after spool up and around 3200 or so RPM's.  (That's just a guestimate as to where the boost will be made at those RPM's w/ this motor).

I'm thinking as long as I keep the RPM's down and get plenty of low temps flowing I should be alright til I have the extra spending cash to go w/ a properly built motor.  I know I'll be on borrowed time...but then again...aren't we all .  Some just make it last longer than others.

Decisions...decisions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
DIY Alky/H2O Injection

Lots of resources on that page.

I may have used alky/water once or twice.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Alky is the way to go. There is a Dodge Omni in the 10s that is spraying the stuff for supplemental fuel and to stave off detonation. I think he is running 40PSI
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alky is the way to go. There is a Dodge Omni in the 10s that is spraying the stuff for supplemental fuel and to stave off detonation. I think he is running 40PSI

40 pounds of boost....fun!
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry I have a drag car here at the shop...runs GULP.....

75 PSI of boost

Double or one single thumper?  Seriously....I bet that sounds and runs nice.  What times are you seeing?

It is a single turbo 4 banger 2.7 litre

the turbo is a BorgWarner S-595 it's a custom unit. it has a 14" compressor cover !

a vid one of the crew made:

vid
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

75 PSI of boost

Double or one single thumper?  Seriously....I bet that sounds and runs nice.  What times are you seeing?

Oh the car runs in the 7.40 range @192 ish

the NHRA finals are this weekend at pomona...hopefully this number will change this weekend
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

75 PSI of boost

It is a single turbo 4 banger 2.7 litre

the turbo is a BorgWarner S-595 it's a custom unit. it has a 14" compressor cover !

a vid one of the crew made:

vid

That is a bad little ricegrinder!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
first off, you will be fine running 9.5:1 in a boosted application.  second, methanol/water mix is great especially when combined with a good fmic or a2w intercooler.  with a good set of heads, etc, that t70 should put you at around 450-500 at the wheels with about 15psi on the 302.  remember, its all in the tune.
EDIT: GET A CUSTOM GROUND CAM.  good enough never is, have a cam ground to match your application.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out TurboBuick.com If you want to talk to some one who knows alot on using alcohol injection message RAZOR over there he builds a progressive kit and is a Great guy willing to help any one out.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
ditch the seventeens and get some slicks mounted on fifteens
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ditch the seventeens and get some slicks mounted on fifteens

I've got a friend w/ three sets of 15X8 welds and another friend who is an MT dealer.  I will end up probably going that route.  Eventually I'll probably just go w/ 3.5" up front and 8-9" in the rear.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
first off, you will be fine running 9.5:1 in a boosted application.  second, methanol/water mix is great especially when combined with a good fmic or a2w intercooler.  with a good set of heads, etc, that t70 should put you at around 450-500 at the wheels with about 15psi on the 302.  remember, its all in the tune.
EDIT: GET A CUSTOM GROUND CAM.  good enough never is, have a cam ground to match your application.  

Roger that.  I've got Edelbrock performer aluminum heads and the same series intake.

The F303 cam works well in turbo apps but I'll look into it.

Right now I'm just worried about the block.  W/ that said it's only a few years old and only has about 5-7K miles on the motor, w/ all parts being new when assembled.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that.  I've got Edelbrock performer aluminum heads and the same series intake.

The F303 cam works well in turbo apps but I'll look into it.

Right now I'm just worried about the block.  W/ that said it's only a few years old and only has about 5-7K miles on the motor, w/ all parts being new when assembled.

Give Isky a call.  They have never done me or anyone I know wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top