Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 6:42:14 AM EDT
Ok long story short i just knocked over my 1992 kawasaki EX 500 and it landed on a sharp metal object that made a small puncture in my gas tank.  gas comes out if leaned over far enough

what options are there for repairing this hole?  fiberglass?

any and all suggestions greatly appreciated....
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Weld it...  Just kidding

Possibly some JB cold weld would work for a while.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It can be welded if it's vented sufficiently and correctly.

Otherwise plastic metal is a quick fix

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Jb weld is the shit.  You can shape it, sand it, grind it, paint it and it's just as hard as steel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
an old off road trail trick is grab a bar of soap and rub it over the hole, it will seal it up till you can get someone to fix it for good
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
E-bay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#6]
another +1 for JB Weld it's the Duct Tape of metal
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
E-bay.

If you're talking about having a real, usable tank again, you're best off with Mr. Kirk's suggestion.  JBWeld and those are temporary fixes, at best.  A pro repair/repaint can be from $400 or so.  You can get a good, pulled, used tank from a parts reseller for half of this, easily.

ETA : find a good, gas-tight used one that's not even in perfect cosmetic condition.  For a '92 EX500, spending more than $100 probably is counter-productive, unless you really, really are attached to that bike.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
E-bay.

If you're talking about having a real, usable tank again, you're best off with Mr. Kirk's suggestion.  JBWeld and those are temporary fixes, at best.  A pro repair/repaint can be from $400 or so.  You can get a good, pulled, used tank from a parts reseller for half of this, easily.

ETA : find a good, gas-tight used one that's not even in perfect cosmetic condition.  For a '92 EX500, spending more than $100 probably is counter-productive, unless you really, really are attached to that bike.

yea thats the thing, not too much.  its my first bike and though i like it, i dont feel like putting a lot into it.  the previous owner dropped it on its side and fixed the cracked plastic, but that area needs sanded/painted.  maybe now i'll have a reason to buy the paint and fix both after some jb weld
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top