Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:45:29 PM EDT
My tool man knows my weakness.  And he exploits it.

Today he tells me he has "one left" of something I need to see.  

We all know and love the Ingersoll Rand "Titanium" impact wrenches.  Light, extremely powerful, not obnoxiously loud.  I have the 1/2" and 3/8" models.  

Well he hands me a red box.  Inside is the Titanium MAX.  Its a bit loud, and I haven't had a chance to put it on a bolt yet, but this thing looks like it will do the job.  In those rare circumstances where a standard titanium won't, I can go to this and either break or remove whatever part I am working on with ease.

I couldn't bear to part with my titanium, so I just kept it instead of trading it.

The grease fitting on the MAX is at the rear part of the titanium housing, and the grip texture is different.  They weigh the same, but the max is much louder.  Its got about 100 more rpm's according to the specs, and can break loose a nut tightened to 1100 ft lbs!  Most everything I've encountered that the titanium wouldn't do, it seemed to just need a "little more" and this wrench may just have what it takes to do the job.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
how much?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one of those 18v cordless impacts.  Anyone know how well they work and how long the battery lasts?

The only other air tool I use is a die grinder with a roloc scotchbrite disc for gasket removal, which is a non-negotiable tool for me.  I simply will not replace a water pump or anything similar withiout it.  I spent 4 hours - yes 4 full hours, under one of my cars in the winter once scraping a transmission case gasket off.  Never again.  I'd sooner put flaming sulfur on my nutsack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want one of those 18v cordless impacts.  Anyone know how well they work and how long the battery lasts?

The only other air tool I use is a die grinder with a roloc scotchbrite disc for gasket removal, which is a non-negotiable tool for me.  I simply will not replace a water pump or anything similar withiout it.  I spent 4 hours - yes 4 full hours, under one of my cars in the winter once scraping a transmission case gasket off.  Never again.  I'd sooner put flaming sulfur on my nutsack.

I have used the Ridgid and the Dewalt and they work well. I gernerally dont like dewalt but that tool was nice.

Makita has a new one with their light weight Lion battery, half the run time, half the weight, but a 15 min. charge time, it comes with 2 batteries.

I know they use the makitas at the Stratos boat factory and like them for the weight. It makes a big difference when you have your drill above your head.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had so many problems with my Snap-on XT7100 that I told my dealer to take it back, just give me what he could on it and I'll buy an Ingersoll.  I bought one of those "Street Legal" Thunderguns, weighs about 15 lbs and it's louder than a jet engine, but there's not a nut or bolt I've ran across yet that stood a chance against it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
IR231.

It is the AK47 of impact wrenches.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IR231.

It is the AK47 of impact wrenches.

There's probably more 231s out there across the country than everyone elses' impacts combined.  When I worked at a tire store in high school, they provided us with 231s.  Indestructible, reliable, powerful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top