Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 8:23:28 AM EDT
I can't imagine it won't be too long until the Jeep Wranglers have one of these motors dropped in them.  Hell of a lot of torque, great gas mileage, and the Unlimited Powertrain Warranty might convince me to buy a new Wrangler.  I saw the Cherokee's review on AutoWeek a few days ago.  It got 20mpg mixed driving vs the V8's 14mpg.  I suppose a Wrangler outfitted with this motor would be good for 7 second 0-60 runs and 25mpg.  The Cherokee can also tow 7,400lbs.

"""In addition to some cosmetic changes, inside and out, the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee will now offer a diesel engine in the Laredo, Limited and Overland trim levels. Models with the diesel engine will be badged CRD for common-rail diesel. Additionally, the 4.7-liter V-8 gasoline engine will now be flex-fuel, capable of running on E85 or gas.

When I drove the Grand Cherokee CRD around DaimlerChrysler's proving grounds in Chelsea, Mich., it delivered as promised. It's ridiculously gutsy from a standing start, even with the relatively heavy Quadra-Drive II four-wheel drive underfoot. It's no surprise, because the engine puts out 376 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600-2,800 rpm, as well as 215 horsepower at 3,800 rpm. What makes this engine stand out, though, is how quiet and smooth it is. It's definitely the most refined diesel engine I've ever driven in a car — or light truck, as the case may be.

The 3.0-liter V-6, which has been used in the Grand Cherokee overseas, is a Mercedes engine that is arguably the most advanced small diesel made. When you start — and particularly when you stop — the engine there's no vibration that shouts "diesel." The same couldn't be said of Mercedes' previous diesel car engine, the 3.2-liter in the E320.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
376ft/lbs of torque in a Wrangler would be incredibly sick.

If they decide to, I'll be selling my Rubicon (04 I6).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate to rain on your parade, but the diesels are excluded from the unlimited powertrain warranty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hate to rain on your parade, but the diesels are excluded from the unlimited powertrain warranty.

Why?  Cause a lot of them are used for towing/commercial applications?  

If that's the case, they should apply that to the commercial trucks that use Unleaded as well..  I figure the diesels would be under the warranty as they tend to run stronger/longer than a gas engine.  Maybe proof that it's a non-commercial vehicle should be an option on the diesel users to be able to get the warranty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's the case, they should apply that to the commercial trucks that use Unleaded as well..  I figure the diesels would be under the warranty as they tend to run stronger/longer than a gas engine.  Maybe proof that it's a non-commercial vehicle should be an option on the diesel users to be able to get the warranty.

commercial/chassis cab vehicles are excluded also, as are the SRT line.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ahh, that's a slight drizzle.  376ft/lbs of torque in a 3,000lb 4wd vehicle is a whole bunch of sunshine
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can't imagine it won't be too long until the Jeep Wranglers have one of these motors dropped in them.  Hell of a lot of torque, great gas mileage, and the Unlimited Powertrain Warranty might convince me to buy a new Wrangler.  I saw the Cherokee's review on AutoWeek a few days ago.  It got 20mpg mixed driving vs the V8's 14mpg.  I suppose a Wrangler outfitted with this motor would be good for 7 second 0-60 runs and 25mpg.  The Cherokee can also tow 7,400lbs.

There was a one-off Wrangler JK 3.0 CRD at SEMA. Export JKs already have the 2.8 CRD (the VM engine) - almost certain all the UK offerings but the Rubicon are CRD. The premium for the 3.0 CRD in the G Cherokee is $1700 - uses the 44/226 and the NV3550 - so driveline's not an issue.

Think your optimistic on the MPG - UK 2.8CRD 6spd(NSG370) gets 21 combined cycle - but does get 28 extra urban.

But all indications from Jeep - and there doesn't seem to be any deviation under Cerberus, tho its early -  no JK CRD, least near term. Which is odd since the Liberty CRD exceeded expectations. Thought it could be emissions,  3.0 CRD is bin 8 but I think temp HDLT thru 2008 - the JK cant meet min 6000 GWVR - or its a fleet avg NOx thing. The 2.8CRD  went away due to emissions, to paraphrase DC "because the costs could not be justified on a limited production vehicle".

Been told the GC 3.0 is a test case (piss poor test case at $40k), as was the Liberty. If the Cherokee CRD does well we may see a JK CRD - but it'd need to have better emission than it has now. I still cant fathom why we havnt based on the Liberty alone - bur it basically due to emissions. Depending on how SCR/Urea is implemented we may kiss the 3.0 CRD by in '09 as well.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not so much worried about the engine, as they are about the rest of the powertrain.

That much torque can do some major damage if abused.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top