Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 12:45:42 AM EDT
Has anyone got any insight on prices and quality or features of various brand pickup truck bed tool boxes?  I'm talking about the boxes that go in the front of the bed behind the back window and are typically diamond plate aluminum.  I'm interested in some utility boxes to keep stuff out of the public eye when I travel.  I really don't want to get a canopy due to the normal loads I put in my bed.

I have a F350 crew cab long bed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen these in steel, diamond plate and plastic at Tractor Supply. I like the low-mount white steel boxes myself.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at some for my truck and think it's down to Adrian Steel and Highway Products.  Both of them have models that are great for my truck.  I hear Weather Guard also makes great boxes.  

BTW, these range from $400 to $700.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with a chest style one from TractorSupply. I also made a frame that lifts it up about 4 inches vertically to allow me to carry longer items like plywood. And it allows me to clean under it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the UWS.  Bonus is if you have a black truck or if you want the toolbox in black you can get 'em that way too.  You can get a nice clean install if you Line-X the truck bed before installing the toolbox

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you secure the box to the truck?  Not much point in a secure box if it is easy to just carry it away.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How do you secure the box to the truck?  Not much point in a secure box if it is easy to just carry it away.

J-hooks snugging inside bed rail and bolted snug from a hole inside the toolbox itself

You can drill holes thru the box and the bed rails and use bolts, but bolt heads or nut would still be accessible from the outside.  Only secure way to secure would be to use a u-hook or something where both threaded ends pop up inside the tool box with bolts, then again, it doesnt take much to pry open a toolbox anyway.  It's not a gun safe
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I drilled holes through the inside of the box through the bed rails.  Ran a bolt UP through the hole and used a jam nut to secure it.  Palced the box over the bolts sticking up from the bed rails and used wing nuts to secure it in place.  Almost impossible to reach in the space under the bed rail and the box lid was lockable.

I had a plastic box purchased from K-Mart.  I liked it because it was light enough to take off and put on when I needed to.  If I were to get another, it would have the single lid hinged at the back... not the ones with the lid that opens from each end.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend a stronger box such as Greenlee or Knaack if you plan to store anything of value.  The aluminum diamond plate boxes look tough, but they are relatively easy to break into.  My brother had a steel Delta box with hasps and padlocks that was easily compromised.  He lost all his tools, right in front of his house.

I am thinking about the same thing, but haven't convinced myself that I want to lose the bed space.

For what it is worth, even the high security boxes can be peeled, and I have seen it, if the thief has enough time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Knaack makes Weatherguard. Just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top