Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 9:08:16 PM EDT
so i've had this issue since i got my car used back in july.  the 2 tires on the right side leak down slowly but the left ones are fine.  i attributed it to a previous owner hitting a bad pothole on the right side, maybe slightly bending the rims or something.

i just washed my car and noticed a slight hissing where the valve stem disappears into the rim.  the soapy/water mixture stuck in there made it bubble a little bit.  i checked the back tire and sure enough, it was doing it to.  

how do i fix this?  i've been told that fix a' flat and other things like that are a temporary fix only.   pushing on the back one (both in towards the tire and at angles) made it quiet down but did nothing for the front

since its not where i can easily reach on the valve stem i figured i would ask people here for any suggestions in what to do.  

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
this is not my car tire, but if for some reason this helps:

the leak is just back out of sight on this picture

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The bead has to be broken, depressed, the old stem pulled out, and a new one installed. This is a job for a place with a tire machine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
New valves.

If they still leak replace the valves again after cleaning up the seating surface where the valve seats in the wheel.

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
do you have chrome wheels by chance?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You will have to take them some place that will break down the bead and put in  a new stem. I would have them use a rat tail file to clean up the hole, especially if you have chrome rims.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
what ever you do, do not use fix-a-flat
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
do you have chrome wheels by chance?

yes.....  you thinking corrosion?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have an angry ex that it letting the air out of your tires?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If they are just snap in rubber valves like said previously tire needs broken down and stem replaced, but if your car has a tire pressure monitoring system it gets a little more complicated but not too costly, but get it fixed right away or it could damage the tires or create an unsafe condition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have just twisted them untill hissing stopped and left them before but it is best to have new valvestem put on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top