Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2006 3:51:03 PM EDT
Has 160000 miles on it. Had the TPS fixed three years ago. Took it to the same shop today where I had it fixed and they said it likely needs a rebuild, due to age and mileage. They took me back in the shop and gave me examples of how poor the stock tranny is, particulart the area where the TC mounts to the flywheel. On the stock model the mounting nuts are welded on the TC plate, and over time they flex and the clutch plate begins to slip due to the flex.  They get by this by using a custom machined housing from billet. They also install a bearing system on some high firction parts etc....

Pretty educational, and they offer a 5 year warranty. The entire rebuid was estimated at $3800, and $3300 for the rebuild using a stock HD TC cover (non billet).

I've looked around and this looks OK pricewise when compared to other HD tranny upgrades, but $4k is a lot of fuckin dough.... Any input?

ETA: They do quite a bit of upgrading, like brazing the fins on the interior of the TC so they do not come loose. The braze weld each and every fin onto the body.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
might want to ask about a pressure transducer...It's a relatively common replacement on those for a symptom like what you're describing- rpm fluctuates rapidly while attmepting lockup... might be worth looking into for 150-200 bucks before you get upsold on the big meal deal
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The dodge automatics are pretty well known for their weaknesses.

This sounds like the price for a completely installed tranny and maybe even on a 4x4.

Is the shop you are using redoing a lot of dodge automatics?  There are companies that pretty much specialize in rebuilding dodge diesel automatics so they are what I would compare with the shop you talked to.

My basic opinion is year that is a lot of money, but it sounds like it is in the price range for an installed transmission and should have a heck of a warranty with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The dodge automatics are pretty well known for their weaknesses.

This sounds like the price for a completely installed tranny and maybe even on a 4x4.

Is the shop you are using redoing a lot of dodge automatics?  There are companies that pretty much specialize in rebuilding dodge diesel automatics so they are what I would compare with the shop you talked to.

My basic opinion is year that is a lot of money, but it sounds like it is in the price range for an installed transmission and should have a heck of a warranty with it.

While not a Dodge oriented shop, the owner and several employees drive 12 and 24 valves and have had the service done. The billet torque converter is a beaut, but I dont think I really need it with the light hauling I do.

I have looked around and learned a lot in the last couple of days, basically it;s called transmission hunting I guess. I'm gonna clean up the TPS (when I find where it is at) and see if that helps a bit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
ATS or Suncoast seem to be the stoutest builders of trannies
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
hmmmm, that much money for a rebuild.  look into a catalogue like summit and see if you cant find a tranny with the same gearing that can handle diesel torque.  i've heard a lot of bad things about those trannies.  buying a new one might come out the same pricewise, but i think i'd rather have a new one than a rebuilt one.  if you think everything else on this car is going to last, then go for the fix.  if not, start looking for a new truck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably one of the best Dodge Diesel tranny shops around:  www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm  They are in Canada, so that kind of sucks a little for you, but they want $3,700 for a brand new, hardcore bullet proof transmission for the Cummins.  Not bad, in comparison to your quotes.  

When I was running with the TDR and Cummins BOMBER crowd, the DTT guys were considered the pinnacle of transmissions.  I had a 12 valve with a fueling plate, 40 lbs of boost and it pumped 250 RWHP on the Dyno before the stock converter would slip.  The stock engine was rated 180 HP at the flywheel.  The stock tranny had 110,000 miles at the time, but was still holding up.  Sad to sell that truck, but a regular cab truck + family of 4 didn't mix.  Had I kept it, I would have had DTT drop in a tranny for me.

The HD Dodge trannies really aren't that bad, but they thrive on higher revs to keep internal pressures up.  In the diesels, they don't get the same revs going, so the don't work as well.

Tons of great diesel info here:  www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php and www.turbodieselregister.com/
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Be VERY carefull with that thing.

I personally know two people who's Dodge trucks caught fire and burned to the ground.

They both had trans problems prior to the fires.
I think it had something to do with a clogged trans cooler or cooler lines... Ruptured lines = hot oil ignited = complete loss.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The trans fire issues were fixed quit a while back, the plastic trans line connectors where catching on fire., this has'nt been a problem since the mid 90's.

As for fixing your trans definetly go with a DTT, i ran a  fully built DTT in my first gen dodge cummins forr 200k.

DTT has a large dealer network in the states,  call DTT and talk to Bill or Stefan Condolay
they will set you up with a local DTT rebuilder .

Rick
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad I ordered a manual trans on mine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Probably one of the best Dodge Diesel tranny shops around:  www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm  They are in Canada, so that kind of sucks a little for you, but they want $3,700 for a brand new, hardcore bullet proof transmission for the Cummins.  Not bad, in comparison to your quotes.  

When I was running with the TDR and Cummins BOMBER crowd, the DTT guys were considered the pinnacle of transmissions.  I had a 12 valve with a fueling plate, 40 lbs of boost and it pumped 250 RWHP on the Dyno before the stock converter would slip.  The stock engine was rated 180 HP at the flywheel.  The stock tranny had 110,000 miles at the time, but was still holding up.  Sad to sell that truck, but a regular cab truck + family of 4 didn't mix.  Had I kept it, I would have had DTT drop in a tranny for me.

The HD Dodge trannies really aren't that bad, but they thrive on higher revs to keep internal pressures up.  In the diesels, they don't get the same revs going, so the don't work as well.

Tons of great diesel info here:  www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php and www.turbodieselregister.com/

that's exactly the kind of thing i was talking about.  why pay that much for something to be rebuilt, when you can pay that much for something new?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
hmmmm, that much money for a rebuild.  look into a catalogue like summit and see if you cant find a tranny with the same gearing that can handle diesel torque.  i've heard a lot of bad things about those trannies.  buying a new one might come out the same pricewise, but i think i'd rather have a new one than a rebuilt one.  if you think everything else on this car is going to last, then go for the fix.  if not, start looking for a new truck.

What new transmission are you thinking about?

It has been a couple years but I don't recall seeing anything that would be worth bolting behind a diesel unless it would be a rebuilt version which is what we are already talking about.

It is not like you can stick an allison automatic in this pickup easily.  

I know summit sells new stickshifts but I figure the op wants to keep his automatic shifting.

I would be very comfortable with dtt, they are the ones I was trying to remember, and it sounds like the local shop comes close to what dtt does.  I would read up on dtt stuff on their site, take some notes and go talk to the local shop some more.

My biggest concern would be a written warranty, handshake deals are fine if I know the person but for 4k for a business transaction I would personally put my faith behind a written warranty only.

If the local guys say they can do the job then let them do the job.  If they say they can't compete then you get into a game of who do you want to install a dtt tranny for you.

With the low rpm nature of the engine and the torque output outdoing what some built big block gassers can do, I would go with one of these transmissions simply because I don't know if a cheaper rebuild will hold up very well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Dodge 47rh/e trannies are notoriously weak. The local shop is does in fact seem to be doing what DTT does, at least for the most part it seems. They took me to the back of the shop and pointed out where the torque converter plate flexes, they had an old one that had clear evidence of this on it.

The owner of the shop is a supporter and member of the local Border Watch group.

The prices seem to be on par with the major rebuilders.

Now I have to get a second mortgage.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm glad I ordered a manual trans on mine.

that's what I'd get if I were buying a dodge.

A manual tranny is better for towing anyway
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, my 97 cummins was an auto.  The TC will blow in a heartbeat.  My rebuild was $1,800 at Eagle, with an upgraded TC and oversized tranny cooler.  I drive a 2001 5-speed cummins now.  MUCH better. 192k on the stock tranny and strong as ever.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Why  can't Dodge get get an Allision trany like GM does?

I have a guy at work who went through 5 transmissions over 4 years before he sold that lemon.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have a guy at work who went through 5 transmissions over 4 years before he sold that lemon.

It is just manufacturer politics.  Our Peterbilts have a Cummins and Allison combination.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is just manufacturer politics.  Our Peterbilts have a Cummins and Allison combination.  

True.  And mostly because GM owns Allison, so I doubt they'd like to make their compeition (Dodge in this case) more attractive to buyers.  

When you get into heavy duty truck applications, then the Cummins/Allison combination is typically available.  The Ford F650 and F750 can be spec'd with a Cummins/Allison (among other combinations) as can Freightliner, Peterbilt, Mack, etc.  Dodge doesn't have an entry in the heavy duty truck market. leaving that business to other DMX groups (Freightliner for example.)

There are plenty of more "bullet-proof" transmissions, even within the DMX companies themselves, that Dodge could use behind the Cummins, but they keep with the 47 series, which can be made to run fine.  The problem is you have to spend another $3000+ to make it happen.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The allison in the general motors pickup trucks is most likely still nothing like the serious allison transmissions found in medium duty trucks.

I think I read that general motors uses the duramax in the 4500 and 5500 medium duty trucks they sell and in that case the probably use a version of the pickup truck transmission.

But something like a full size school bus running a dt466 in front of an allison does not have the allison transmission you find in the pickup trucks.

I have not really kept up on what is currently around but I suspect there is still a huge difference in what the pickup truck allison transmission is used for and what the real big allison transmissions are used for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top