Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2006 10:12:41 PM EDT
I have a KLR and it is a great bike.  I think with some of the rough places I have taken it though that the Honda would be a better choice though.

I tried to take the KLR up Tin Cup pass near ST. Elmo Colorado last week and it really seemed to be a notch beyond the bike.  

I think the Honda would have just run up that sucker and asked for more.

patsue
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an '06 model, approx. 5800 miles on it.

To me, the KLR is more suited to on road, light trail use. The larger fuel tank is great. Overall a really cool bike.

The XR is the opposite, better off-road but not as nice manners on the street.  Currently my short range errand, bug out bike.

To make the KLR more 'dirt worthy', will compromise it's on road manners.  Just depends on your preference.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have an '06 model, approx. 5800 miles on it.

To me, the KLR is more suited to on road, light trail use. The larger fuel tank is great. Overall a really cool bike.

The XR is the opposite, better off-road but not as nice manners on the street.  Currently my short range errand, bug out bike.

To make the KLR more 'dirt worthy', will compromise it's on road manners.  Just depends on your preference.
Compromise is the key word of dual-purpose!
I really liked the Honda,but it sits really tall,a serious tippy-toe bike(I would think Honda would have ways to lower it) More pricey than either the Suzuki,or KLR($5700).
KLR,water cooled,huge tank,and a small windscreen,probably the best of the bunch.
Bought a DR650,easy to lower for short riders,but small tank,no rack in the back(but can be ordered.Cheapest of the bunch at $4900.
KTM makes about the best,IF you don't do alot of street riding,basically a mild MXer with lights stuck on,but not many dealers.
I'd say Honda's about the best,if nothing else their dealer support.Their parts support is second to none.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I heard the gearing on the Honda is a little too low.  Do people change sprockets to correct this?

It is hard to imagine that Tincup is beyone the capabilities of a KLR though.  I may be mistaken now though since the last time I was over Tincup pass was in 1994, in a Ford Explorer.  It seemed pretty tame, compared to, say, the road up to Grizzley Lake.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It isn't beyond the capabilities of the KLR, it is just that I felt like I was beating the tar out of the bike.   I think with new fork springs, a possible new rear shock and some tires with more nobs it would be ok.  

I recently rode an XR650L Honda and it felt quite a bit more dirt worthy than the KLR.  

Maybe if the KLR was a jeep, the Honda would be a Humvee.

I am leaning toward doing some mods to the KLR as it is such a good road bike.

patsue
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It isn't beyond the capabilities of the KLR, it is just that I felt like I was beating the tar out of the bike.   I think with new fork springs, a possible new rear shock and some tires with more nobs it would be ok.  

I recently rode an XR650L Honda and it felt quite a bit more dirt worthy than the KLR.  

Maybe if the KLR was a jeep, the Honda would be a Humvee.

I am leaning toward doing some mods to the KLR as it is such a good road bike.

patsue
KLR's must be good,they're the bike of choice for doing a South America trip. And if you think the KLR/XR/DR is something you can take MXing,they aren't,which is why dual-purpose/enduros lead such a short life.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The two bikes are for two entirely different missions. The KLR is a streetbike that can trail ride and do light off-road. It's the bike you take when you Absolutely, Positively, Have to be there Overnight. The XR is a dirtbike with just enough lights to get it street-legal and driveable from your driveway to the nearest ORV trail.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The only real complaint about the XR is the 2.7 gal. fuel tank. Good for about 100 miles of on-road riding.

The IMS four gallon will be on by the weekend.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want the real deal, go for the R version and get a plate on it.

The "R" version is the off-road version of the XR. Liquid cooled, more horsies, more travel, etc... and can be made street legal depending upon the law and level of competance and your local dmv...

Go to....    www.bajadesigns.com   for everything you need to make it street legal.

I commute on my during the summer and it is a blast riding what is basically a dirt bike on the street. 2nd gear power wheelies on the way to work. Traffic is just a non-issue, 45mpg.

And off-road the "R" version will kill the "L" version. The seat height may be an issue for some, but the bike is a brute and just a kick in the butt.

-Z
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The two bikes are for two entirely different missions. The KLR is a streetbike that can trail ride and do light off-road. It's the bike you take when you Absolutely, Positively, Have to be there Overnight. The XR is a dirtbike with just enough lights to get it street-legal and driveable from your driveway to the nearest ORV trail.

+1

I have owned both (traded my XR for the KLR).  The XR is a much more capable dirtbike, but will beat you to death if you have to ride it on the street for any distance.  The small gas tank gave me about 80 miles before going on reserve so I always had to get a fill up before going off road.  

As fire trails and logging roads were my reason for a dual purpose the XR was geared too much toward the dirt for my requirements.  I traded the XR after a couple of years and got the KLR which is just right for my needs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I am going to keep my KLR.  I would love to have the Honda for some of the more nasty high mountain passes here in Colorado but I don't have a truck or trailer to get the bike to them so I have to rice the bike.

THe KLR is a heck of a bike.  

I don't at all like what they are doing to it in 2008 with the new version.  Looks like a Vstrom which is a fine bike, but not for off road like the current KLRs.

pat
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
(runs off to check out the new look)
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Im looking at the DRZ400 or the KLX250. I need something lightweight to haul on back of Blazer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top