Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2006 6:55:41 PM EDT
My wife spilled almost a whole bottle of olive oil on the front passenger seat of her Nissan Xterra.  The seat is a dark and light grey fabric over foam cushion so it absorbed it like a sponge.

I've been pressing down on the seat with blue disposable shop towels from Costco and the oil just keeps coming out.  Of course, it is now my responsibility to care for this accidnent because I'm the one who understands how severe this is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
How to get olive oil out of car upholstery?

Simple: Call Popeye

Whys blow me down!
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How to get olive oil out of car upholstery?

Simple: Call Popeye

Whys blow me down!

Thanks for the help...
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if it would harm the fabric or not but the only thing I can think of would be to get some of the kitty litter looking stuff they sell to absorb oil, put a bunch of it on the seat and weigh it down with something heavy.  Let it sit for an hour or so, then change out with new and repeat.

I don't know that it would be possible to get it all out of the foam but you might be able to get enough out that it doesn't make it's way to the surface anymore.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
To really get it all, you're going to have to get the foam clean or it will eventually do two things. It will keep oiling the passenger's butt.....(hmmm) And, it will really start to smell, as it's organic and will decompose/rot/decay, particularly in the hot confines of a closed car in the summer.

If you can remove the seat bottom, you'll have to treat it with something to drive out the oil. Then you'll have to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. It might never come out completely, or you may do more damage to the foam in the long term, with the cleaner you use. The cover should be the least of your worries as it will be the easiest to get clean. You might even have to buy replacement foam/seat bottom, whole seat from Nissan to completely rid yourself of the problem.

If you know of any car detailers in your area, you might run it by them. They may have some tricks up the sleeve. Or maybe check with Nissan?

If that gets you nowhere, try this guy.

I hear he's pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done some kinky things with a girl in a car, but it never involved olive oil
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You will be buying a new seat.  Spend your energy finding one in a junkyard.

The oil will go rancid and you will be dealing with this adventure for quite a while.  Take the seat out of the vehicle now, before the oil migrates down to the carpet below.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Replace the cover and the cushion.  You may be able to get the stain out of the seat with enough shampooing/degreaser, but you'll never get it out of the cushion, and eventually it will decay and your wife's XTerra will smell like rotten olive oil.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a nice big loaf of bread and start dipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Replace the cover and the cushion.  You may be able to get the stain out of the seat with enough shampooing/degreaser, but you'll never get it out of the cushion, and eventually it will decay and your wife's XTerra will smell like rotten olive oil.

Quoted:
You will be buying a new seat.  Spend your energy finding one in a junkyard.

Best of luck.

Take your pick , you'll be doing one or the other after all else fails .  Your wife owes you big for this one.

I'll let her know how you feel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top