Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:48:49 AM EDT
'82 V6 motor with Quadrajet, unknown history.

Anyone tell me what to look out for besides the obvious rod sticking out of the pan?

It will be installed in a Willys jeep.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know much about the carbed turbo buicks.  But check out turbobuick.com/ In the before black section.   some one there should be able to help ya out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The carbed turbo motors were flat out junk.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The carbed turbo motors were flat out junk.

Really?

How many have you owned? Built? Raced? Mad because one beat your camaro?

They were not junk, the later SFI engines were just better because of additional electronic controls.

If you have something constructive to say, do so.  If not, please do not troll my post.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as you think he's being rude, he's really not. Those motors are notorious for burning up pistons. Having a non intercooled turbo motor is a mistake, and having a non intercooled carbureted motor is asking for massive amounts of detonation.

Do yourself a favor and go to some of the turbo Buick sites. Don't be surprised when they tell you the same thing Yellow did.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
olds442tyguy,

I understsnd what your saying. This is not intended to be a race motor. It's going into a jeep.
If the turoo is toast, I plan on removing it and installing an aftermarket 4BBL. intake and doing away with the factory induction.

The Buick sites like 'Before Black' have a good overview, but nothing specific on what to look for if buying used.

Not everyone needs a GNX.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
olds442tyguy,

I understsnd what your saying. This is not intended to be a race motor. It's going into a jeep.
If the turoo is toast, I plan on removing it and installing an aftermarket 4BBL. intake and doing away with the factory induction.

The Buick sites like 'Before Black' have a good overview, but nothing specific on what to look for if buying used.

Not everyone needs a GNX.

Actually every one does need a GNX.

That aside, I would check the shaft play in the turbo. Do this by reaching into the compressor housing and pulling on the nut that is in there. there should be no play in/out, and very little play side to side. When a turbo is worn there will be a lot of side to side play, and if there is much in/out movement it will be ready for a rebuild soon.

Other than that, there is not much that you would be different than any other motor that I am aware of.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to give you my honest opinion which also happens to be the same as most of the turbo Buick guys. Why ask questions if you clearly have your mind set on it anyway? Personally that engine would be pretty far down on my list of engines to throw in a jeep, and no none of my Camaro's ever got beat by one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top