Ok,
So who do you think wins?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/32081/porsche_vs_r1_vs_avion/
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone make this linky hot?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
just cut and paste it into your browser.

The bike took them off the line.....the Porsche ran past the bike and the jet......but the jet creamed them both in the end.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Car Vs. Bike Vs. Jet
There ya go
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the distance.  And on the type of bike, car, & plane involved.

Despite having lower power:weight ratios, cars are far better at putting power to the ground than bikes, which have extremely small tire surface contact area w/ the road.  A GP bike was pitted against an F1 car in a drag a few years back, & the car walked away.  Traction is the achilles heel of motorcycles, particularly in turns - the primary reason for the newer race tires having wider & taller profiles to increase rear tire contact surface area.

Both the car & bike should accelerate faster than a plane, which has to claw through the air to gain speed.  Which of those 2 would win???  Seems like most sportbikes are mightier than most sportscars, but this is a Porsche.

Top speed is probably the reverse.  Even helicoptors can go faster than the majority of road-bound vehicles.

ETA:  Woot! Looks like the Porsche isn't in the same league as the R1.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can anyone make this linky hot?

is it that damn hard to cut and paste?? i swear you guys are damn lazy
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut & pasting works fine but only Team Members can make links hot here.
I cut @ paste the original in my thread and it will not go hot
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My god, how long was that runway? I don't know what kind of performance that Porsche has, but there are very, very few cars in the world that can pull away from a bike-even a 5 year old R1 like they used in the video.

Seriously, it would take several miles of perfectly straight road for a high end sportscar (Ferarri, Lamborghini etc.) to catch a modern sportbike. I guessing that the bike shut off with the point being proven... That R1 should do mid 170's for top end, and a very low 10 second quarter. No Porsche in the world should be able to catch him on a runway.....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You have not been on the internet long have you?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

www.metacafe.com/watch/32081/porsche_vs_r1_vs_avion/
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm not a team member and i was able to make it hot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I really don't buy the Porche beating the Yamadog like that. He must have passed him going at least 40mph faster than the bike was.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like the bike got so far ahead he gave up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My god, how long was that runway? I don't know what kind of performance that Porsche has, but there are very, very few cars in the world that can pull away from a bike-even a 5 year old R1 like they used in the video.

Seriously, it would take several miles of perfectly straight road for a high end sportscar (Ferarri, Lamborghini etc.) to catch a modern sportbike. I guessing that the bike shut off with the point being proven... That R1 should do mid 170's for top end, and a very low 10 second quarter. No Porsche in the world should be able to catch him on a runway.....

Porsche GT does the quarter in low 11's but has a 200+mph top end..it would have hung with the bike well enough to overtake it at the top end
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah, it's a fast car for sure-but still... On a runway? Don't think so..

I'd race him for pinks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The airplane neeeds about a 5000' runway to get air borne.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
If that's the case the Porsche wouldn't catch the bike, not even taking into account that the bike was well short of the jet's 5000ft when it lifted off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Great Road and Track article on the standing mile...They include one bike...one F-18 Hornet.....and about a dozen Vette's, Vipers, Porsches, race cars etc...Only a few cars can beat a fast bike in the mile but the longer the course and the higher the speed, the easier it becomes for a car to win

www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=2572&page_number=1
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Way to go, Maverick!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Great Road and Track article on the standing mile...They include one bike...one F-18 Hornet.....and about a dozen Vette's, Vipers, Porsches, race cars etc...Only a few cars can beat a fast bike in the mile but the longer the course and the higher the speed, the easier it becomes for a car to win

Need Hayabusa, pre 186 mph limit, or a ZX-14R....................... Or any number of lightly modded CBR1000RR's................. The cars are beating the bikes because of the higher top end, change it to faster bikes and the ending is different.

Record for a "street" Hayabusa is somethink like 242 mph.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sure, a 4 or 500hp car is going to have a big advantage in high end acceleration-motorcycles for all their swoopy bodywork are horribly dirty from an aerodynamic standpoint, and that doesn't help either. But you have to admit that the test was a little slanted... They used a 5 year old roadracing motorcycle that is down 30hp (a lot considering that the bike in the vid "only" makes about 135hp at the back wheel) compared to it's modern equivalent and 60hp down from a new ZX-14. Also, in 2001, it wasn't practice for the bike makers to electronically limit their bikes to 186mph. The test should have featured a road burner car vs. a road burner bike. An R1 isn't a road burner bike-they are fast as hell, but more meant for getting from one corner to the next in a hurry.

The test should have at least had a Hayabusa or ZX12. But it wouldn't have mattered, the bike only came in last because he shut off.

Might be fun to run a turbo'd Busa in a repeat..... Sure, it's not stock but it's hard to compare a 5 year old $6,000 bike to a $100K+ megacar and a jet. Turbo'd Busa's have broken 250mph in street legal form, and you could have 3 of them for the price of the Porsche.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, a 4 or 500hp car is going to have a big advantage in high end acceleration-motorcycles for all their swoopy bodywork are horribly dirty from an aerodynamic standpoint, and that doesn't help either. But you have to admit that the test was a little slanted... They used a 5 year old roadracing motorcycle that is down 30hp (a lot considering that the bike in the vid "only" makes about 135hp at the back wheel) compared to it's modern equivalent and 60hp down from a new ZX-14. Also, in 2001, it wasn't practice for the bike makers to electronically limit their bikes to 186mph. The test should have featured a road burner car vs. a road burner bike. An R1 isn't a road burner bike-they are fast as hell, but more meant for getting from one corner to the next in a hurry.

The test should have at least had a Hayabusa or ZX12. But it wouldn't have mattered, the bike only came in last because he shut off.

Might be fun to run a turbo'd Busa in a repeat..... Sure, it's not stock but it's hard to compare a 5 year old $6,000 bike to a $100K+ megacar and a jet. Turbo'd Busa's have broken 250mph in street legal form, and you could have 3 of them for the price of the Porsche.

Forget the R1 vid and see my earlier link...Everything's properly timed and the distances are defined..plus they use a 173hp bike..The bike actually does very well..only getting beat by a 1000hp Hennessey Viper and a few other superfast tuner/race cars...As for making excuses for the R1 you probably left out the biggest one of all...It would be hard to concentrate on making max velocity on a motorcycle with an afterburning fighter jet (and all the turbulence that goes with it) passing you just a few feet to your left.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:As for making excuses for the R1 you probably left out the biggest one of all...It would be hard to concentrate on making max velocity on a motorcycle with an afterburning fighter jet (and all the turbulence that goes with it) passing you just a few feet to your left.

Well, there's that... .. .

Doesn't sound like fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top