Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 4:30:09 PM EDT
Are these for Harley posers or are these realy nice alternatives for a cruiser bike.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Star is the new name for Yamaha's cruiser line.  If you liked Yamaha's cruisers, you should like Star bikes, because they're the same thing.  In terms of quality, reliability, performance, technology, etc., the Japanese cruisers are as good if not better than the Harleys, and generally offer a better value for the money.  If what you are looking for is that "Harley image", on the other hand, then you'll have to buy a Harley.

Personally, I don't care for cruisers, and, generally, the fewer cruiser-type features a bike has, the better motorcycle I consider it to be.  I prefer high-performance motorcycles that stop, turn, and go better than cruisers do.  But, to each his own:  if you're on two wheels and out in the wind, you're cool with me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
According to Star advertisements, at least from those a few years back, the main qualification to be a star member is to be either grossly overweight, wear a top hat and sunglasses, or have a fetish for garrish costume jewelry.

It helps to wear lots of studded leather and collect plenty of Waffen SS style decorations for biking valor to be worn on your jacket.  

So, no... there's nothing poser about 'star' people.... they're the 'real deal'.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are these for Harley posers or are these realy nice alternatives for a cruiser bike.

For starters, they are a cruiser bike.  And the only people that worry about what a harley owner will think of them is probably a really gay person.

I like Harleys, but for fuck sake, I am so GD sick of this retarded bullshit about how everything that isn't a harley is a cheap imitation.  By those terms every gun ever made is a fucking cheap imitation of the original one.  And every car made in america is a cheap imitaion of a ford and only fucking looser posers don't drive Fords.

My god, get a motorcycle if you want one, and ride the fucking thing.  If you can't come to grip with the fact that you don't own a Harley, you just don't fucking get it.

Wanna know what is funny, I have one of the Poser bikes in question and I am thinking about getting my wife a dana.  God, what will people think of me if my wife drives a Harley and I drive an imitation?  I think I will wet my pants when people confront me about it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, enigma, that the mistique is pure marketing hype.  However, it has become a status thing, with membership in 'the club' and exclusivity part of the admission price.  The phenomena is real, and if you're concerned with buying into a lifestyle, then its something to consider.

I think an independent, free thinking individual would take a look at a VTX1300, and the nearest harley big twin priced (after honda discounts) nearly twice as much.  Their performance, size, and mission profile is remarkably similar.  For your extra 6 to 8 thousand dollars, you buy the lifestyle.

Harley buyers give up a lot of autonomy just by walking into the dealership.  What other manufactuers bike owners give you quite this much crap for simply buying a smaller maching like the sportster.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 to enigma.

It doesnt matter what your ride, its THAT you ride.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top