Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:49:44 AM EDT
I dunno why, but im intrigued by this lil car. I may go look at the one the dealer has. (its really a customer car that they are allow to show ppl for a week or so, they even said we can test drive it)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I like how it looks in the pictures, but I have never seen one in real life. I do like the Pontiac version as well.  These are partialy hand made to boot , at least way more than most other cars today.

They are supposed to put a German made direct fuel injection system into next years engine. Boost performance a good bit if it works.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I belive thier is still a wait list on the Solstice/sky of a few months which Is a good thing for GM. Though I doubt this is a high profit car for them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I belive thier is still a wait list on the Solstice/sky of a few months which Is a good thing for GM. Though I doubt this is a high profit car for them.

Dont be so sure, the dealers are jacking up the price jus because. One dealer has one for sale, but they added every single option to it and then added some sport suspension from GM, they asking price was $36,000. I told the guy they are nutts, for 36K ill be look at used Z06s or some cars with real HP. lol. oh well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Not.... Enough.... Power.....

It's a hell of a looker though, and if I was in the market and it had 250-300hp it would be on my list.  For about the same price you could get a new or slightly used Honda S2000 that's got a 240hp engine in there.  With a supercharger you're looking at 300 easy.  

The SKY also weighs almost 3,000lbs!!! That's a beast.  For a small 2 door sports car you've got to come in around 2,500 if you want to have fun with it.  I believe the sky is a 7+ second 0-60 car.  My dad's 320hp sierra denali truck will beat it in a straight line.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's a hell of a looker though, and if I was in the market and it had 250-300hp it would be on my list.  For about the same price you could get a new or slightly used Honda S2000 that's got a 240hp engine in there.  With a supercharger you're looking at 300 easy.  

The SKY also weighs almost 3,000lbs!!! That's a beast.  For a small 2 door sports car you've got to come in around 2,500 if you want to have fun with it.  I believe the sky is a 7+ second 0-60 car.  My dad's 320hp sierra denali truck will beat it in a straight line.

GXP version of the Solstice is coming out late summer or early fall this year as an '07 model.  It has an all-new 2.0L direct injection engine with a twin-scroll turbo, air-to-air intercooler, and variable valve timing.  It's rated at 260 HP and 260 lb-ft.  The car's still supposed to be a hair under 3,000 lbs.

I'm sure they'll incorporate it into the Sky as a trim or option package as well.

ETA - Almost forgot to mention the GXP pricing is expected to be ~$25k.

www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108749
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LoL..its funny you mention the S2000. That is what I ended up with. The cost vs. HP of the SKY turned me off. I luv the styling but looks only get ya so far (fast). lol

I like the reliabilty and durability and resale of the HONDAs, so that is why I went with it. I also never buy the first model of any new car.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The Solstice & Sky performance is much more in line with the Mazda MX-5, than the S2000.  The Honda is in a different class of sports car.

All of the head-to-head tests I've seen between the MX-5 and Solstice, give the MX-5 the win.  Not surprising, considering Mazda has been tweaking the MX-5 for 16 years.  As it stands now, the Solstice has 7 HP advantage over the Mazda but the Pontiac weighs over 400 pounds more. Time will tell if GM can get their version of the MX-5 in the game while maintaining price parity.  Maybe, but I doubt it because of the reliability and cheap-to-keep factor.  The MX-5 is still the "King of the Mountain" roads for a MSRP of less than $21K, brand new.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a article I found for those of you who want lots of power from your cars and like the looks of the Sky. Too bad it cost so much.

Mallett to Build 400hp V8 Saturn SKY
March 30, 2006
Mallett Cars plans to build a high-performance version of the Saturn SKY, powered by a 400 horsepower GM LS2 V8 engine. Inside Line reports that the SKY conversion will be identical to the Mallett Solstice. The publication says the modified SKY, which will have a base price of $21,995 over and above the price of the factory-built car, will be offered in very limited quantities.

According to Mallett, "the 400hp GM LS2 engine is an awesome addition to this super slick roadster. Mallett Cars has engineered it as a complete package. Extensive track and street testing has been done to assure that this car handles better than stock on either a Sunday drive or on a road course. The cars are complete from front to back using Genuine & Official Licensed Products of GM with the stock OEM catalytic converters in place to assure state emission compliances. Our package retains stock features such as cruise control, ABS brakes and all OBD-II diagnostics."

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is a article I found for those of you who want lots of power from your cars and like the looks of the Sky. Too bad it cost so much.

Mallett to Build 400hp V8 Saturn SKY
March 30, 2006
Mallett Cars plans to build a high-performance version of the Saturn SKY, powered by a 400 horsepower GM LS2 V8 engine. Inside Line reports that the SKY conversion will be identical to the Mallett Solstice. The publication says the modified SKY, which will have a base price of $21,995 over and above the price of the factory-built car, will be offered in very limited quantities.

According to Mallett, "the 400hp GM LS2 engine is an awesome addition to this super slick roadster. Mallett Cars has engineered it as a complete package. Extensive track and street testing has been done to assure that this car handles better than stock on either a Sunday drive or on a road course. The cars are complete from front to back using Genuine & Official Licensed Products of GM with the stock OEM catalytic converters in place to assure state emission compliances. Our package retains stock features such as cruise control, ABS brakes and all OBD-II diagnostics."

Interesting.  That will be about the cost of a new Lotus Elise.  

www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0408_elise_panel.pdf

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The Sky is RWD, right?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Sky is RWD, right?

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought the SKY wasn't going to be out until summer?
I knew the pontiac was, but thought the Saturn would be later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Sky is RWD, right?

Yep.

Wow... at least they (GM) did something right.

Quoted:
I thought the SKY wasn't going to be out until summer?
I knew the pontiac was, but thought the Saturn would be later.

I saw one on the road near Detroit the other day.

I thought, the back-end looked pretty hardcore, but the front end looks pretty girly, though, less girly than an S2000.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Saturns are here and ready for sale. Most are allicated to ppl. but there are a few, ya would jus have to call all the dealers in your area.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#15]
All things Saturn:

Saturnfans
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got to drive the solstice this sunday, badass little car has power and was really nice to drive...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#17]
26 milese per gallon!! Wow, thats only 3 gallons of gas.....Alot better than my Tahoe would get....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Caught a glimpse yesterday at a gas station.  I also thought they weren't going to be out till summer.

FWIW-I saw a Solstice at the Chicago auto show and sat in it. I was NOT impressed.  Too low, poor ingress/egress.

Nice car die-tryin! The S2000 looks badass.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top