Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:27:24 AM EDT
A farmer near to us has offered to sell his 1957 Ford Ranchero to my husband.  The thing has sat out in his field for the past 20 odd years.  It ran when he parked it there but doesn't run now.  My husband is an mechanic and he believes with a little effort he could get the thing running and with a lot of work he could restore it.  He doesn't have any desire to restore this but thought it might make a good investment and has asked me to see if I could find out how much it would be worth.

Its a complete car with all orignial parts/peices etc.  There is some rust [not a lot though considering].  The front driver window is gone but everything else works on the vehicle.

I've been looking for some Ranchero sites but thought I would ask ARFCOM first for input on how I should go about finding the value of this thing.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well since the window is gone aka total access. You can bet something has been living inside it. So more than likely the wiring and interior are shot. As far as rust. If you can see 10% rust, count on there being 60%.

I would have your husband talk to someone that has restored an old field car. He'll have more money and time invested than what its worth. IMO. But being older '57 It could be something cool. Id also worry about finding parts, If he is goin to restore back to factory orginial, Id look around to see what parts stores carry stuff for that. If he is goin to make a nice modern driver out of it that is doable.

Ive done the motorcycle siting in the field bit, lets see if we can get it goin.  I will never do it again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My husband has restored cars before and he says there is very little rust.  

He pulled his 67 Camero out of the bottom of a creek bed and restored it and is currently restoring a 41 Jeep Willies.  

I'm sure the wirering would need to be replaced as well and though I didn't see any mouse poop or anything figured something could have easily made a bed/nest in it.  

David believes he could get it running fairly easy though.  He surprises me in what he can do though.  My Grandfather gave him his old trap wagon that turned out to be a 1941 GMC Truck that formally was a Navy Ambulance.  The Truck had been sitting in my grandfather's field for several years.  David brought over some tools and a battery and drove it home.  This is his next project after restoring the Jeep.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
So why ya asking us? LoL..Seems ya'll already got the answer. LoL..Sounds like he is more than capable of pulling the job off. Its nice to see the old classics being brought back from the dead. I say go for it. Also how bout doin a lil photo essay on here to show the progress. I think that would be cool.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
He doesn't want to restore the Ranchero.  He's pretty busy with his Jeep.  I'm trying to figure out what the value of this is - in the condition it is in now [with some minor work by David to get it running].  I've searched on the web and have found a few fully restored Ranchero's for sale from anywhere from $12K [low end] to $48K high end.  I think if we parted it out would make themost money but like you said, its nice to see these old classics be restored.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Parting it out will probably take quite  awhile to make a profit. It would be nice to restore it if you could. I have 2 friends that have pulled vehicles out of barns or fields and restored them to running order . They made a good profit on 2 of the 3 they did.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
If just running I would imagine $1500-$4000 depending on the condition maybe more. I don't know if there is much desire for a Ranchero other than Ranchero specific people. I don't think Ford made any high performance models like Chevy did with the El Camino so the muscle car appeal isn't there. Although it is fully capable of being that.

Either way get it out of the field and get it running so someone will buy it and keep it on the road. Rancheros and El Caminos are neat just because of wierdness of them. Crucks are interesting concepts. Besides he might have a change of heart and decide to completely restore it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice car/truck.  

I wanted to buy one but my "then girlfriend" said "NO".    

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If just running I would imagine $1500-$4000 depending on the condition maybe more. I don't know if there is much desire for a Ranchero other than Ranchero specific people. I don't think Ford made any high performance models like Chevy did with the El Camino so the muscle car appeal isn't there. Although it is fully capable of being that.

Either way get it out of the field and get it running so someone will buy it and keep it on the road. Rancheros and El Caminos are neat just because of wierdness of them. Crucks are interesting concepts. Besides he might have a change of heart and decide to completely restore it.

I hope not.  After the Jeep and the Old Truck He's promised to rebuild a Scamp for me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Ford did'nt make too many of those back in the 50's (57-59)so it may be worth a shot. What engine does it have(Ford had the 223-6,and two Y-block V-8s,a 272 and a 292,and they did make a hi-po V-8 Y-block,the 312,that is usually found in T-birds/Fairlanes)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ford did'nt make too many of those back in the 50's (57-59)so it may be worth a shot. What engine does it have(Ford had the 223-6,and two Y-block V-8s,a 272 and a 292,and they did make a hi-po V-8 Y-block,the 312,that is usually found in T-birds/Fairlanes)

I have no idea.  When I track the hubby down I'll ask him.  Whoops here he is, he says its a 292 Y Block.

Patty

*ETA*It Looks Like This
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont part it out or crush it. Save its life and restore it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how much rust on it. Is it sitting on the ground,or on it's wheels? The 292,is it a 4bbl? That engine was very strong(it is a Y-block,after all!!!) How bad interior? The reason these are worth so much is because they weren't all that popular at the time.(Chevy made the El Camino in the 59 or 60,again not popular)

Parts should'nt be too hard to find,as forward of the bed it's pretty much common Ford.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Any chance of taking pics of the ACTUAL car your interested in. Id be curious to see the condition as it sits. Sounds cool though. How about Pro Street it or this.....

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Depends on how much rust on it. Is it sitting on the ground,or on it's wheels? The 292,is it a 4bbl? That engine was very strong(it is a Y-block,after all!!!) How bad interior? The reason these are worth so much is because they weren't all that popular at the time.(Chevy made the El Camino in the 59 or 60,again not popular)

Parts should'nt be too hard to find,as forward of the bed it's pretty much common Ford.

I'll try to get some pictures this week.  It is sitting on its wheels.  THe tires are shot but the wheels and hub cap / chrome is all good.  It has some rust but not as much as could be expected.   We live in a desert so not a lot of precepitation but obviously some.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll try to get some pictures this week.  It is sitting on its wheels.  THe tires are shot but the wheels and hub cap / chrome is all good.  It has some rust but not as much as could be expected.   We live in a desert so not a lot of precepitation but obviously some.

Sounds like it just might be surface rust,but check under the carpet/floormats,must not snow too much there(or they don't salt the roads(Fords and Chrysler were serious rusters then!)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#16]
That's the wonderful thing about Oregon...NO SALT!!...of course, we have a lot more rock chips from the gravel....but not the hideous rust some parts of the country suffer with.
  Patty,
 Value is relative, no, there aren't that many early Rancheros running around, but is it something you really want? As of right now, it is what it is...someones discarded junker that was abandoned in a field. If you approach it this way, you'll save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.
I don't mean to slam you at all, I'd just hate to see ya get stuck with something you don't really want, yet have to throw money at to make it go away....if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Patty,where's the pics? I love how the hood raises,from the rear. Find out on Ranchero/Fairlane sites what options it has.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's the wonderful thing about Oregon...NO SALT!!...of course, we have a lot more rock chips from the gravel....but not the hideous rust some parts of the country suffer with.
  Patty,
 Value is relative, no, there aren't that many early Rancheros running around, but is it something you really want? As of right now, it is what it is...someones discarded junker that was abandoned in a field. If you approach it this way, you'll save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.
I don't mean to slam you at all, I'd just hate to see ya get stuck with something you don't really want, yet have to throw money at to make it go away....if that makes sense.

It does make sense Unka-Boo and I appreciate the foresight.  I don't really want the responsibilty my husband was more looking at it as a means maybe to make some money for his jeep project.  

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top